Agnostic.com

4 3

Can humanity's new giant leap into space succeed?

[bbc.com]

xenoview 8 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to think it's a waste of money, unless the plan is to move everyone there once we're done destroying this planet.
Robots could do pretty much anything a human being can do, with more R&D, and improving robot capabilities would cost a small fraction of putting human beings on Mars. (The moon? I heard it's hollow and the aliens living there told us to stay away.)

Success in space can only be measured by survival back on Earth. Nothing about space development works to help that survival. Survival must be the priority. I'm as pro-space development as anyone, but that effort is wasted if we die on this planet.

Succeed in what fashion? I think it would bestow minerals, mining, and information if we gave it enough time but humans (IMO) do not have that time. I would concentrate on Earth, except for rovers or telescopes, and build better structures which might survive storms or submerging. Actually, I like underground homes as an idea.

Honestly, I don't care if it does.
We have no business being anywhere else but here.
We've managed to set this rock on an unsustainable course. We have no right to do that anywhere else.

I agree. There is no planet b to go to.

I believe that based on current technology it would only take a mere 75,000 years on a one way trip to reach the nearest star, Alfa Centauri.

@ASTRALMAX Bon Voyage!
Write if you get work!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:705142
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.