Agnostic.com

6 12

LINK Clergy members sue Missouri to block faith-based anti-abortion laws

In an attempt to overturn extreme abortion restrictions in Missouri, 13 clergy members have filed a lawsuit against the state, arguing that the laws impose one religious interpretation upon everyone else, violating their rights and the Constitution. The clergy members represent faith traditions that say abortion is permissible or required in certain situations.

The 83-page lawsuit goes after a 2019 “trigger” law that said if Roe v. Wade were to be overturned, abortions would only be permitted in medical emergencies (which do not include rape or incest) and that anyone who performs or induces an abortion risks between 5-15 years behind bars.

Maybe the most damning thing in the lawsuit is the collection of statements from Republican lawmakers who cited their religious faith as justification for their support of the bill, suggesting that the legislation wasn’t motivated by any kind of secular intent. Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which filed the lawsuit on behalf of those plaintiffs along with the National Women’s Law Center and the law firm Arnold & Porter, explained:

Lawmakers openly and repeatedly emphasized they were writing their religious <strong>beliefs</strong> into the abortion bans, even declaring in the bill itself that “Almighty God is the author of life” – a phrase that an opposing lawmaker noted was “in violation of the separation of church and state.” Legislators said they passed the ban because:

“to me God doesn’t give us a choice in this area. He is the Creator of life.”

“being from the Biblical side of it, I’ve always believed that life does occur at the point of conception.”

“Life begins at conception. Psalms 119 says …”

“as a Catholic I do believe life begins at conception. That is built into our legislative findings currently in law…”

snytiger6 9 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would give them a win but the right wingers will keep appealing to the Supreme Court and we know what will happen there.

At least some religious have some sense and respect for women.

You have still got text running off (way off) the right-hand side of the page. In this case, it's everything from "Lawmakers openly and repeatedly" to the end of your post.

PS best of luck to these clergy in their lawsuit.

I hope they over turn that law.

As they should!

Personal beliefs should never be imposed on others.

Betty Level 8 Jan 21, 2023
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:705848
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.