Agnostic.com

31 6

What’s your source for morality?

Personally I think it’s a survival mechanism that helps keep our species alive but that’s just me. I’d like to hear all of your opinions or beliefs!

AbdullaG 4 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've often debated whether morality is a human instinct or a social construct. Let me know when we reach a consensus

I could be a combination of the two. We are social animals. 🙂

Star Trek and Marvel comics as sources for tolerance and humanism.

I prefer the term "ethics".
Morals change from one society to the next.
Many ethics work out equally between societies.
It is indeed that which is beneficial for the entire pack.

I think morality comes from a sense of empathy. I imagine the first person to think, "oh, that had to suck... I sure don't want that to happen to me. In fact, that sucks so bad, I don't want anyone I love to have to go through that either. Hell, no one should have to go through that. I wouldn't wish that on anyone." was how it started, or something similar. That, and it's just simple math to realize a cooperative society works better and gets farther than an uncooperative one.

Altruism is likely nothing more than an ancient survival mechanism. Doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied with being altruistic.

Will I get away with it and where can I hide the body .....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.