Agnostic.com

4 6

Asteroid 2023 BU: Space rock passes closer than some satellites

[bbc.com]

xenoview 8 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Types of orbit.

[esa.int]

It's so amazing to me that astronomers can detect these things and predict their orbit so precisely! That seems like a pretty small asteroid, but now I'm curious about the average size of a satellite, so I looked it up and it seems that satellites can be the size of a bus or smaller. I can see lots of them from my perch on the beach at night. So, I'm guessing that asteroid would have been visible with the naked eye as it passed at its closest point. Fascinating!

And precisely why did they not attempt to intercept this rock? It costs $10,000 per pound to lift material into space and capturing this asteroid could have provided material for shielding, material experimentation, and discovery of its composition. I wonder why they wasted this opportunity?

I'm pissed it didn't make a direct hit.

I'm with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:706937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.