Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK Letters From An American 01/28/2023

Heather Cox Richardson

Two relatively small things happened this week that strike me as being important, and I am worried that they, and the larger story they tell, might get lost in the midst of this week’s terrible news. So ignore this at will, and I will put down a marker.

At a press conference on Thursday, Representatives Jimmy Gomez (D-CA), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Daniel Goldman (D-NY), Andy Kim (D-NJ), Joaquin Castro (D-TX), Jamaal Bowman (D-NY), Joe Neguse (D-CO), Eric Swalwell (D-CA), Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), Colin Allred (D-TX), Mike Levin (D-CA), Josh Harder (D-CA), Raul Ruiz (D-CA), and Senator Rob Menendez (D-NJ) announced they have formed the Congressional Dads Caucus.

Ironically, the push to create the caucus came from the Republicans’ long fight over electing a House speaker, as Gomez and Castro, for example, were photographed taking care of their small children for days as they waited to vote. That illustration of men having to adjust to a rapidly changing work environment while caring for their kids “brought visibility to the role of working dads across the country, but it also shined a light on the double standard that exists,” Gomez said. "Why am I, a father, getting praised for doing what mothers do every single day, which is care for their children?"

He explained that caucus “is rooted in a simple idea: Dads need to do our part advancing policies that will make a difference in the lives of so many parents across the country. We’re fighting for a national paid family and medical leave program, affordable and high-quality childcare, and the expanded Child Tax Credit that cut child poverty by nearly half. This is how we set an equitable path forward for the next generation and build a brighter future for our children.”

The new Dads Caucus will work with an already existing caucus of mothers, represented on Thursday by Tlaib.

Two days before, on Tuesday, January 24, the Women’s Bureau of the U.S. Department of Labor released its initial findings from the new National Database of Childcare Prices. The brief “shows that childcare expenses are untenable for families throughout the country and highlights the urgent need for greater federal investments.”

The findings note that higher childcare costs have a direct impact on maternal employment that continues even after children leave home, and that the U.S. spends significantly less than other high-wage countries on early childcare and education. We rank 35th out of 37 countries in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) made up of high-wage democracies, with the government spending only about 0.3% of gross domestic product (GDP) compared to the OECD average of 0.7%.

These two stories coming at almost the same time struck me as perhaps an important signal. The “Moms in the House” caucus formed in 2019 after a record number of women were elected to Congress, but in the midst of the Trump years they had little opportunity to shift public discussion. This moment, though, feels like a marker in a much larger pattern in the expansion of the role of the government in protecting individuals.

When the Framers wrote the U.S. Constitution, they had come around to the idea of a centralized government after the weak Articles of Confederation had almost caused the country to crash and burn, but many of them were still concerned that a strong state would crush individuals. So they amended the Constitution immediately with the Bill of Rights, ten amendments that restricted what the government could do. It could not force people to practice a certain religion, restrict what newspapers wrote or people said, stop people from congregating peacefully, and so on. And that was the opening gambit in the attempt to use the United States government to protect individuals.

But by the middle of the nineteenth century, it seemed clear that a government that did nothing but keep its hands to itself had almost failed. It had allowed a small minority to take over the country, threatening to crush individuals entirely by monopolizing the country’s wealth. So, under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant, Americans expanded their understanding of what the government should do. Believing it must guarantee all men equal rights before the law and equal access to resources, they added to the Constitution the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments, all of which expanded, rather than restricted, government action.

The crisis of industrialization at the turn of the twentieth century made Americans expand the role of the government yet again. Just making sure that the government protected legal rights and access to resources clearly couldn’t protect individual rights in the United States when the owners of giant corporations had no limits on either their wealth or their treatment of workers. It seemed the government must rein in industrialists, regulating the ways in which they did business, to hold the economic playing field level. Protecting individuals now required an active government, not the small, inactive one the Framers imagined.

In the 1930s, Americans expanded the job of the government once again. Regulating business had not been enough to protect the American people from economic catastrophe, so to combat the Depression, Democrats under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt began to use the government to provide a basic social safety net.

Although the reality of these expansions has rarely lived up to expectations, the protection of equal rights, a level economic playing field, and a social safety net have become, for most of us, accepted roles for the federal government.

But all of those changes in the government’s role focused on men who were imagined to be the head of a household, responsible for the women and children in those households. That is, in all the stages of its expansion, the government rested on the expectation that society would continue to be patriarchal.

The successful pieces of Biden’s legislation have echoed that history, building on the pattern that FDR laid down.

But, in the second half of his Build Back Better plan—the “soft” infrastructure plan that Congress did not pass—Biden also suggested a major shift in our understanding of the role of government. He called for significant investment in childcare and eldercare, early education, training for caregivers, and so on. Investing in these areas puts children and caregivers, rather than male heads of households, at the center of the government’s responsibility.

Calls for the government to address issues of childcare reach back at least to World War II. But Congress, dominated by men, has usually seen childcare not as a societal issue so much as a women’s issue, and as such, has not seen it as an imperative national need. That congressional fathers are adding their voices to the mix suggests a shift in that perception and that another reworking of the role of the government might be underway.

This particular effort might well not result in anything in the short term—caucuses form at the start of every Congress, and many disappear without a trace—but that some of Congress’s men for the first time ever are organizing to fight for parental needs just as the Department of Labor says childcare costs are “untenable” strikes me as a conjunction worth noting.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"That illustration of men having to adjust to a rapidly changing work environment while caring for their kids “brought visibility to the role of working dads across the country,"
I have mixed feelings on this one as sometimes the mothers don't care for their kids and/or are abusive. First off, when our daughter was born her mother had little to do with her and I became the prime parent. At first I was self-employed and did minor construction jobs and took my daughter with me. There were a couple of funny and scary times (like when she fell out of her high chair, bit her tongue and it bled like crazy. I rushed her to the hospital and the doctor, (a German) said to leave it as it will heal and a nurse who said it needs to be sewn. To this day the gap is still there). Later she attended a local kindergarten and it was I that took her and picked her up.

"The brief “shows that childcare expenses are untenable for families throughout the country and highlights the urgent need for greater federal investments.”

Unfortunately, the fact of life is, that, as our numbers grow it becomes harder and more expensive to raise families. In this day and age having a large family, to me, is immoral. As such the taxpayers should not have to help others with their choices. My parents had 7 of us. Schools are often funded through property taxes. There was no way our education was funded by our property taxes so others had to foot the bill for our education. This only sustainable to a point and we passed that point. Given our high immigration (system not the people) rate, schooling and care services become even more expensive. We are experiencing where that has taken us.

And yet...a ''good xtian'' published a column here stating that what the world does NOT need now is a reduction is family size....that the world needs MORE babies! I guess the fool imagines a lovely planet resembling an ANT HILL of humans, slowly starving to death?

@pamagain Unfortunately, the tribes of our society believe the only way to gain power is through numbers. So many tribes try to out breed other tribes and we get a race to the bottom. Unfortunately, when populations start to go down, corporations have a fit. I recently posted a study of how one country (China) benefits with a lower population.

@jackjr Another example of blind ignorance. (She says, grinding her teeth.)

Another unneeded Caucus to bolster the mother's Caucus and make parenting a louder issue. I think kids are molded to believe a lot of unhealthy adult shit and carry it all forward. That's all. They are expected to obey and find a career, or jobs, within established sectors (hopefully that pay well or a female mate will be harder to find). I am not of the opinion that parents should receive tax money for their child's existence or any considerations not already afforded to all human citizens. I also think Rights, while natural to all humans, should be automatically observed to non-citizens. Doing so presents greater complications which may not be compatible with existing frameworks or timely decisions.

This generation of men are far more apt to being involved in their children's care than my generation, and I am glad to see it. Maybe in the not to distant future we will have a Country that values and finds the money needed to address these childcare and eldercare issues.

RIGHT! I love seeing men use the public ''baby care'' rooms, carrying diaper bags, etc. You would NEVER have seen that level of parental care even 20 years ago.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.