Agnostic.com

10 22

Hooray!

The Community Foundation of North Central WA has many scholarships. This year they changed their website. Glitches occurred. I noticed two problems. Called Julie the scholarship manager.

At first she tried to help Coby, the girl I mentor. It did not work. I called Julie twice. "We are working on it."

Yesterday I called Julie with Coby at my side. Handed my phone to Coby. I'm trying to get Coby to speak up for herself. She's shy.

At first, Coby could only check medicine as her field of interest. She wants to become a surgeon. Coby is very talented in music and plays four instruments. She plans to minor in music.

I wanted Coby to be eligible for the Everett and Roy Hill music scholarship totaling $9,700.

Coby asked Julie to open up her application and add music and chemistry to her fields of interest. "Give me 10 minutes," Julie said. "Then check back."

VOILA! Suddenly Coby was eligible for 23 scholarships not just 16. Including the Everett and Roy Hill scholarship for $9,700.

Happy dance!!!

Now Coby and I are grinding through Community Foundation scholarships that require an extra essay on diverse topics like:

Describe how you will have a life of service.

"After becoming an established surgeon, I want to volunteer for Doctors Without Borders and work at rural Native American reservations."

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today Coby and I completed applications for 25 scholarships. While Coby writes, I read quietly. Then we edit her essays to fit the word or character limit.

"You are by far the best writer of all the students I mentored," I told her. "Your writing is wonderfully descriptive. You paint a picture in the reader's mind."

I apolologized for disrupting the rhythm of her writing by cutting out words. "Because you are a musician you write with rhythm."

Were both feel satisfaction from a job well done. It was huge to finish 23 Community Foundation scholarships.

Good for the both of you.

You done good, Kathleen.

Oh man, made me cry. HOW WONderful your help is!

Doctors without Borders is one of my regular charities that I donate to! <3

That’s impressive, this country needs a lot more folks with your attitude…..

We all need to do some rewarding work.

@DenoPenno

I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school for 16 years.

This is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done.

Great work. We’ll done.

You are an earnest and valuable mentor. Proud if you.

@MsKathleen

Thank you, dear!

You must be so proud. Good on you for all you do. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Feb 7, 2023

@Betty

Thank you. Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done.

@LiterateHiker When you love your work, then you make efforts to do it well. You obviously love your work and it is paying off with success. That is something to be proud of. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:708568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.