Agnostic.com

10 6

I apologize for the length of this post.

We all enjoy the stories Kathleen (LiterateHiker) tells us about her ongoing adventures with the men she meets so I'm going to share the insanely complicated story of my current lady dramas because I'm kinda overwhelmed.

For years I remained friends with my ex-wife, Suzanne, and we did a lot of things together: movies, shows, festivals, museums, kayaking, ziplining, etc... We had fun together even if we didn't work as well as a married couple. Then, about a year ago, she moved to Tennessee and I was left alone here in Florida. For about six months I just sat around bored and lonely until it reached a point where I had to do something about it so I joined a dating website and within just a few days connected with a woman who lived only fifteen mins away. This was Carol.

Great! So we met over lunch and made a date. She wanted to see the Disney parks and, as luck would have it, I'm a 24 yr veteran of the company so I have a Silver Pass which gives me free admission to all Disney parks everywhere for life and I can also get up to three guests in with me. So I told her, "You met the right guy!" So I started taking her on these dates and it went well. We were having fun and we liked each other.

Then along came Ginger. She was a woman I'd known about 17 years ago and we had also been friends. She found my number one day about four months ago when she was cleaning out her closet and decided to call it thinking I couldn't possibly still be at that number but I was. We chatted for about an hour and made a date to meet. We did and it turned out she too was bored and alone so I suggested that, we too, go out and do some fun things together so we started doing that.

When I told Carol that I had reconnected with an old friend, I suggested that we might include her in some of our plans. Bear in mind, BOTH of these women were my newly found FRIENDS so I saw no issue with jealousy because we hadn't made any romantic overtures to each other at this point.

Well, I was wrong. Carol got very upset that I was spending time with Ginger and stopped talking to me. I'm now trying to re-establish contact with her and get this cleared up. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably choose Carol but I didn't see that as something to consider since this early in the relationship we were still just starting out as friends. Stupid? Looking back on it, maybe.

So now, Ginger and I are still friends, I'm trying to fix things with Carol and, to make this drama just a little more complicated, my ex, who, again, I still share a close friendship with, is talking about moving back here because she misses her life here and especially me and all the fun we had together.

I was just a lonely guy looking for a little companionship and now I'm embroiled in this Lifetime network movie of the week with three different women. I truly don't know what to do or how to juggle all these plates without dropping them.

Or is this just impossible?

Sgt_Spanky 8 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no idea of your age nor that of the women you are talking about. It is always nice to have too many options and prospects, rather than too few or none, which is how the dating game goes, at least for most men like me. It's always feast or famine. Glad I seem to be finally ready to retire from the game for good, as I seem to have met my unicorn a few weeks ago. So if it lasts, and she doesn't get ill or die prematurely, I should have a partner for the rest of my life.

As to your situation, I think that with how horrible the dating game is these days for anyone middle aged or older. Because of that, I think that many or most women who are single or in your age group, as well as mine, like to protect themselves emotionally, as well as keep their expectations in check, by saying they are "only interested in a friendship", etc., early on after meeting a man, as well as on dating sites in their profiles. Their reasons for this are to not only fend off and discourage the men who are either wanting to drag them into bed as early as possible after connecting on a dating site, as well as men who are more sincere and interested in genuine and lasting relationships, from putting too much pressure or seriousness on them early in the dating process, etc.

But make no mistake, I suspect that most of these women are actually looking for something deep and lasting with a man, despite their statements saying they are more interested in just friendships, etc., for the forseeable future. And they know that time is not on their side, nor that of men who are also single and in the dating market. So, no matter what they are saying, or even what you may be sincerely saying and wanting, these women do see the other female friends of yours as competition and potentially someone who will prevent them from being able to enjoy a lasting romantic relationship, whenever in the future they might feel ready and honest enough to admit that is what they want with you and are willing to take the risk of being rejected for that, or, if you accept their proposal of a romantic committed relationship, being disappointed in how you pan out for that.

Best of luck, as the singles world these days, esp. the online dating part of it, are a real jungle, at best, or a cesspool, at worst, depending on your perspective.

PS- I'm amused by your reference to Literate Hiker and her many stories about her experiences with men in the dating game, as I blocked her long ago after getting fed up with how she constantly was engaging in low key male-bashing by always putting the blame, fault or deficiencies leading to incompatibility on the men, and never owning up to any of her faults or her own unreasonable or unrealistic demands on the men for qualities they lacked. At least you seem to have some humility and honesty in how you portray yourself and the three women you mention in your story, instead of putting all the blame and fault on the women for the drama and complications of your situation.

Personally, I always thought that Literate Hiker and Robecology should get together, with how in love they each seem to be with their own perfection and smug confidence in how much they had to offer the opposite sex. They really should be trying to date each other long distance, if they are actually interested in finding their true match, lol!

Fine if you let all concerned clearly know from the outset that you want nothing more than FRIENDSHIP. I do not t think that a potential girlfriend would want a date with your old female friend tagging along any more than a man would like to go on a date with a woman who wants to bring an old male friend along. Carol probably thought of herself as your new girlfriend, would that not be a natural assumption on her part?

As for the ex moving back to live with you, I could be wrong but get the feeling that maybe she wants to come back because things did not work out for her and she knows that you are a nice guy. By your own admission you said that you felt lonely so the ex moving back in with you is an easy option, familiar territory. I cannot see how you could have the ex living in your home and have a new girlfriend without some serious issues popping up, unless you have made it clear to all parties that you are only interested in FRIENDSHIP and they do not mind, however, that does not seem to be the case, does it?

When it rains, it pours. There's something about not seeming desperate to women, when you have a woman " friend". 6 th sense of some kind that they have

twill Level 7 Feb 15, 2023

So true, as it seems the most important qualities in a man to single women in the dating game are, in no particular order: Not seeming desperate, having confidence in who he is and how he behaves around women, being honest and emotionally available, not being emotionally needy or clingy, and when a man has a few female friends who seem clearly to not be any kind of romantic competition for the woman, it makes the prospective woman feel he is someone safe as well as someone who is emotionally appealing to other women, and thus more appealing to her as probably being enjoyable to spend time with.

In other words, the man, like a home for sale on the market, has that all important curb appeal going for him.

like an Asian buffet, go with what suits you now. you probably can't even try it all. whatever looks still warm and tasty.

Thank you! I appreciate your kindness.

I was hoping to get your advice as well unless you'd rather not.

you have stepped into the minefield with your best swimming flippers on.

When I was a bachelor in my early twenties I had half a dozen "free and easy", teenage girl friends, with no jealousy indications. We often went out as a bunch.
It was only once the women were older, and I was "valuable", that "possession" issues (jealousy if you like) started to appear.
I sympathise with your dilemma of being too old and too valuable for fun friendships with females.

Women don't like it when a guy they're dating dates some else. They're funny that way.

I thought I'd made it clear we weren't yet dating, we were friends just having fun together.

Totally nothing wrong with having fun with friends, and even more than one friend at a time, as long as these are friend dates, not preludes to romantic dates. Once there are romantic overtures, or the hopes that there will be some in the near future, then it's best to do that one at a time, in my opinion.

Only reason I can think of for jealousy between Carol and Ginger would be that since you met Carol on a dating app, she might have been expecting romantic dating to occur at some point and assumes you are just taking it slow. If she feels threatened by Ginger as a potential romantic interest for you, then her natural reaction might be jealousy. Maybe there is a mis-communication between you and some clarification or defining of your friendship or relationship is in order?

For me, I've given up on dating, so I'm just happy to do things by myself or with platonic friends of either gender. I realize that a few guys I know might want to get a little closer, but I make it clear that I don't want to complicate things at this time and that works well for me. Because of that, I'm not on any dating apps. If I was on a dating app, that would mean I'm interested in, um, dating and seeking romance...

Jealousy between platonic friends shouldn't happen. But if there's a hope for romance by one of the friends, then I can see there would be jealousy. Could it be that Carol simply doesn't like Ginger? Seems some communication would help.

As far as your ex-wife possibly returning, I wonder what she'd think of you having new friends. You are allowed to have friends after a divorce. But if there are any control issues, then you might feel obligated to give up your new friends and go back to only doing stuff with your ex. Guess you'll have to make up your mind.

If you want advice on how to juggle 3 or more women without them finding out about each other, I can give you my ex-bf's number. He got away with it for a long time, haha!

I agree with your analysis too. I made it clear in my profile on the dating app I was looking to start as friends only, no romance to begin with so I don't believe I misled her but in making time for Ginger, I believe Carol felt slighted and reacted in anger rather than speaking to me about it. To be clear, there was no romance at this very early stage. I have to be sure I like a woman well enough for that.

Oh, and Carol and Ginger have never met.

Can I give u an honest advice ? The Italian / Greek way ?
Is any of them makes u feel “ alive “ besides a friendship ?? Do u want to kiss any of them ?
Go w that one . Rest can stay friends . The ex will always be a friend , so don’t sweat that . Until she finds someone that she wants to kiss . Understand ? Meow meow to the one that makes u dizzy .

I agree but it's so early in these friendships that I hadn't gotten to the point of oozy yet. I was just starting to get to know them, especially Carol. I'd only known her for barely a month. If she had met another guy friend, I wouldn't have gotten angry or jealous. We'd just met.

@Sgt_Spanky carol is the type “ when u know , u know “ . I vote for carol✌🏻. Especially if u are both above fifty . Hopefully u are not looking for a wife or to play house ? What’s is there to know at r age ? Maybe she likes u more than u realize , ( yay !), and she doesn’t like to fuck around . If u like her company too and she clicks to u other ways , what’s there to figure out after a month ? .she ain’t gonna be the mother of your babies , good company and good emotions , what else is there ? . And carol came from dating site . Not friends site . After a month , even if u did not said anything like “ let’s date “, she certainly does not expected more hens in the chicken house .
If carol was Italian or worse , Greek , run for your life 😂.
I will had tell u some pretty names along with “ what u mean u spend x w other women right now , wtf m I a squirrel ? “😂😂😂
Good luck sweetheart , sorry I can’t be any help 🙁

@Pralina1 I appreciate your input, Pralina. I always take my time when getting to know a woman. I need to really know her and one month and a handful of dates isn't enough. People are complicated, I want to see all sides of her and that takes time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.