Agnostic.com

13 2

Can beauty, truth and goodness exist all within one entity? I assert that this is not possible.

Gregory 4 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

how does truth exist in someone

I guess someone is a subset of entity, 'eh? So the three can't exist in someone.

Seems to me in this population some members never been witness of corruption by power, money, beauty or even goodness... they never played dungeon and dragons to understand what was "chaotic good". I don't know where those people live but their reality is as bad as that of the pope. sorry guys.

Dude! Who pissed in your Weaties? As for your question, my answer is a resounding yes! Beauty can be found in a survivors scars, goodness in walking away, and the truth in silence. It's all relative and dependent on your own perspective.

I don't understand the Wheaties remark. You affirm what is irrelevant to the question.

I disagree, I answered the question you asked. These three things can, and do exist at the same time in a single entity. If your question was, can an entity be these three things and only these three things, then I would wholeheartedly agree with you. We can't recognize what is good without bad, know truth without lies, and know beauty without ugliness. These things must exist or what is good and beautiful and honest would have no meaning. But you didn't ask that either ????

That was supposed to be a winky face not a bunch of ??? Lol

The question is explicitly stated that all three would be contained within one entity, which is why the conjunctive "and" was used, as opposed to "or". If I meant in different entities, I would have used the conjunctive "or". Yet I used the inclusive conjunctive "and', meaning that all three would be contained within the same entity.

No man is perfect; we all have our imperfections along with greatness. (it's all about how you choose to live your life)

Is man a subset of the universe of entities? How you live your life is irrelevant to the question. 😉

Fair enough, my bad..

Immanuel Kant's three great books, Critique of Pure Reason (1781), Critique of Practical Reason (1786), and Critique of Judgment (1790) dealt with the problems of truth, goodness, and beauty respectively. Truth was set out in terms of the categorical relations of predication and the syllogism; Goodness was defined in terms of the causal or even hypothetical relations arising from one's actions; and beauty in terms of the disjunctive relation between sense and color, for example, or those relations found in the contemplation of form and proportion.

I must disagree as I find my wife beautiful,trustworthy and a very caring person who helps others,loves animals and the environment and best of all detests tRUMP. You cannot get better then that.

Yes. The sun,
It shines it's beautiful radiant light upon our lonely planet, illuminating our journey throughout the cosmos and beyond.

Truthfully we would be lost without it. It is our guiding light, our spark. It is what gave life to our lonely little planet.

It is goodness incarnate. Although the longer we bathe in it's glorious light, the harder it burns when it is removed from our sight.

Let that which is god, shine through the day. Because when night comes around, the tides shift and sway.

Just a joke, I'm not a sun worshipper

Yet the sun will burn you if you're out in it too long. True, some consider beautiful, but is it good to suffer ill health?

I will say is possible but in this days and times... beauty will corrupt you once you realize all favors you can get out of your beauty.

I STRONGLY disagree. .

Your false assertion states, in effect, that beauty always contains its own inevitable seeds of self-serving immorality!! That is simply a misogynist stance.

How can something corrupting be good?

My facetious answer is Dog. I've definitely met some that were all 3.

Hmm, to me truth is both good and beautiful. Can you elaborate on why you believe these to be mutually exclusive characteristics?

It's true that Hilter had millions murdered. Is that truth good or beautiful?

The action was not; the honesty about it is.

Sure. I've met some ladies that had all three. Maybe not absolutely but generally yes.

gearl Level 8 Dec 8, 2017

I don't see why not. I'm kind of good looking, I don't know if I'd call myself beautiful. And I have been known to tell the truth on occasion. Goodness? Well I tell the ladies that I'm good every time. And like I said, I have been known to tell the truth, sometimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7107
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.