Agnostic.com

20 3

When making a political decision do you elect someone who supports your biases or for the good they may perform?

This was a question I had put forward to me lately and it gave cause to view the votes I had made.I was surprised to find that bias did play a part now I had to decide if the vote was valid. It was difficult to admit that sometimes I had made a mistake. How have you voted?

Marine 8 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I vote the issues. Other than that, I vote out the incumbent.

Iffy Level 5 May 2, 2018

I vote the issues. Other than that, I vote out the incumbent.

Iffy Level 5 May 2, 2018

I am an independent. It used to be easier to weigh out both sides and really consider my vote. Now the republican party is so extreme with few exceptions, I want them out. They need to remake themselves into a party that will preserve the Constitution ahead of the vote. The Democrats are not flawless but at least they understand the importance of protecting our elections.
When you have to vote your biases, it's a slippery slope but it's the reality of our politics today. It ebbs and flows and will eventually come back around. The important thing is to vote and we've become apathetic until recently. So, all of this might be a good thing.

Problem with independents is that you do not get to use the primaries.

@Marine oh...hey, good point. So when I feel really 'hot' I declare my loyalty to a party and jump in to the primaries. I see systems as being fluid not static. 😉

@crazycurlz Great

In the UK we have a system somewhat similar to the USA in that we vote for politicians who represent both their area and their party. This means that people sometimes claim that a politician is a good 'local' MP (Member of Parliament), even if they don't like his national politics. In Spain, where also live, you vote for the party, not the specific politician, and local issue are dealt with by the local government at various levels. I prefer the Spanish system because I think national politicians should be dealing with national issues on behalf of everyone, not just their local constituents. It is the party in power that makes the decisions, so you need to vote for the party that supports the way you think the country should be run. On a local level, it is always possible that a different party may have better ideas, but it seems unlikely.

If they make decisions I support, they get my vote. What is good?

I don't vote so I can't be held responsible and time has taught me all governments look after themselves and are professional liars.

My beliefs and opinions (biases) are what form my opinion about what is good. Of course I will vote for the person that supports them.

MsAl Level 8 May 1, 2018

My biases and my views often dovetail.

marga Level 7 May 1, 2018

I do not look at voting as an individual's marker in a game of cards. It is not about winning and losing elections. For me I study each candidate and their stances on, "ALL" the current issues. I also determine what direction I think my state or federal government needs to be pushed. It is like guiding a ship on the Ocean.

I find it extremely amusing when politician s take credit for achievements they had nothing to do with.

In Michigan last week, the Michigan Marijuana Legislation Initiative turned in 227,370 signatures. The candidate's for Governor all claim a hollow victory, promising voters 10's of millions in new taxes.

I expect the state to change their tourism campaign from " Pure Michigan" too "Pot for Potholes".

MarkF Level 5 May 1, 2018

I always watch then first and foremost. My bullshit-dar is on point. I can usually listen too and watch someone for five minutes and figure out what kind of HUMAN they are.

Once I have determined the decent humans, I then listen to what they say they believe. I then fact check and vet what they have said.

If the are not lying hypocritical pieces of shit that I can tell I then judge and cute for the one that most closely aligns with my beliefs, views and yes sometimes biases.

lI certainly do vote for my biases. I vote for a person who is for universal health care, who will protect social security, Medicare, Medicaid, who will protect the environment, who is for better education, who knows the constitution, is well educated, who understands that we can't be isolationist, but a citizen of the world, and keeps church and state meticulously separate. I will not vote for an oligarch, despot, or someone who is not for taking care of everybody, instead of just the rich. I suppose if you are a billionaire who sees money to be made by raping the environment, or who thinks he has a right to lie, cheat, grab them by the pussy, selling of public lands for the highest bidder, it is ok to pollute the air and water, if I personally profit from it and piss on the people who it hurts, my bias would be to vote for someone just like me, and the extra added attraction is that all I have to do is fawn and flatter him, and he will do what I want.

My beliefs are so far left, I often settle for the most electable alternative. I supported, donated to, and voted for John Edwards. I really regret that.

If I support a certain candidate, it would be true that I am biased toward that candidate. My personal biases include: a desire to end Citizens United and the overwhelming influence money has in this supposed democracy; a desire to end the increasing encroachment of religion into politics; a desire to end the continuing racism that exists in this country (the U.S.), which is especially evident in our law enforcement and judicial systems; a desire to reverse the erosion of labor rights, environmental regulations and banking/corporate regulations. Those are my personal biases, and I am biased in favor of any candidate who purports to address the issues seriously.

I never vote Republican. It is not that l don't think they have some good ideas, but they have so many horrible ideas. The most important thing is their lack of support for real equality for everyone. The second reason is they always look to the past for ways to steer the country into the future. Change comes much faster than their ability to cope with change. If you can't keep your eye on the future as well as the present you are doomed to failure.

I hope my bias leans toward the good a candidate may perform

I've also voted my biases so I suppose I cannot totally blame those who, in my opinion, do so much damage by voting their particular biases. Isn't there a saying about cleaning your own house before criticizing someone else's house?

I have alays voted for the person and the party most likely to strengthen our democracy and act on the true behalfof us, the people. I have voted for individual Republicans, but seldom.

@NotConvinced Yes, a few.

I vote for whoever is actually qualified. In America's sense, that qualification that matters most is maintaining the Separation of Church and State, which is a clear sign that most of the time I never vote Republican. The secular trait is very important for me, because it shows me that they are able to make decisions based on factual census instead of trying to give their faith an edge it doesn't deserve nor legally has any right to possess.

I live in northern ireland so i’d sooner vote for a dog rather than the bigots we have to choose from.

a vote for a dog is a good choice

I vote for the person most in line with my political beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.