Agnostic.com

2 8

i want to tell a story on myself. one of those stupid things i did leaving a new understanding tho i don't know what it is. twenty plus years ago standing on a landscape of lava and ocean. just lava and ocean and rental car in the distance. everything is wet i remember. hawaii. watching the ocean sling big waves against the cliff on which i stand. I'm still a few hundred feet from the edge. the spray from the waves crashing below doesn't rise to the cliff edge. thats where I'm headed. then, forty or fifty feet away a column of water shoots up out of the lava. a column that would embarrass a firehose. i headed for the car directly.

hankster 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nowadays there are Danger signs, fences, etc., to protect people from such surprises! It often happens that 1 or 2 extra huge waves will come up every 20 minutes or so. They can surely surprise the unsuspecting wanderer.

We hava a lava tube on Kauai called "Spouting Horn" and my grandsons were impressed that I could predict exactly when the water would shoot up. I had a trick - I would watch the wave as it goes under the lava shelf, count to three, and up would come!

I was walking along a seam of lava rock that extended some distance into the surf, and the waves would come and break on this little peninsula. I walked out a little way short of where the waves were breaking. Looking behind, I saw my friend was gesturing to me to come back. After getting my view, I returned. My friend shouted above the din of the waves that I had been in danger. No sooner had he said it than a much larger wave came crashing against the berm, completely swamping it. Had I stayed where I was, I would have been badly crushed...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:711800
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.