Agnostic.com

11 0

Probably gonna get cussed out

I'm probably gonna get cussed out by some feminist for asking this, but I really would like to know the answer to this. On a lot of dating sites, people have their pictures up to show what you look like. Why do so many people look like they are going to either hit or shoot you? I could understand a straight face or a bit of a smile. Why the snarl?

heathen77 6 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So personally, I have a very hard time smiling in pictures. I'll think I've smiled, only for it to turn out looking like I'm miserable. Sometimes blank face just seems to be the best I can manage.

Well my photo is all me and very recent nothing to hide be honest to yourself.

Rosh Level 7 May 2, 2018

I think that is your interpretation.....however: guys, no matter in what excellent shape you may be in, STOP POSING WEARING BANANA HAMMOCKS! thank you.

AMEN

I would posit that it is a combination of camera quality, photographic skills (or lack thereof), and generally just "wanting to get the form filled out so I can go look around", and "I'll come back later and upload better pics"

Yeah, I don't get why people on this forum don't post their photos, or if they do, they cover their faces, or stand with other people so you don't know which one they are in the photo.

This is common on Facebook as well, but my complaints have been ignored. Worse, they post photos of their pets or a grandbaby, not their own photo. I suppose they hate how they look, but I don't see how deceiving people about your appearance is helpful if you intend to actually meet them, if you, hopefully, have a date.

When they cover half their face ???? Oh and the group photo

what i don't like is when a chic has that half kiss look in every pic....not sure about that but looks ho'ish... i like the smile with teeth that are NOT perfect. perfect teeth usually means dentures. dentures are ok but not for me. i'd rather have my woman have 'nice' teeth - not perfect but nice. not that i have perfect teeth but i have most of them and they are not rotted out....maybe i'm an asshole for that but maybe not

You don't have to be smiling to be happy.

happy doesn't always show, but it takes effort to snarl at people even on camera and some of these photos look downright threatening

@heathen77 maybe they do but I'm sure our pictures may look threatening to some people but it doesn't hurt to smile I guess.

Well, there we have it both ways... one reason dating sites do so poorly for people: really crappy photos! It's worth the effort to lose a few pounds, add a touch of color, wear a nice top, brush the hair, don't stand in front of the overstuffed closet or the unmade bed, adjust the lighting, SMILE, take a few photos... and start all over if the results aren't what you want. Old photos... don't do it! retouched or 'glamour' photos... NO. Good luck!

being yourself is the most important

Surprised that women would post non-smiling photos on dating sites. In general contexts, there is the whole, “women’s appearance is not for the purpose of male enjoyment” thing. But dating sites serve a different purpose and most people don’t want to hang out with someone who presents as unfriendly.

You nailed it, Jennifer!

I agree.... some of the photos of women (probably the men too, but I don't see them) on OTHER sites look really mean. Why would they post such photos?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.