Agnostic.com

5 6

LINK Uganda considers bill to criminalize identifying as LGBTQ -- CNN

Uganda’s parliament on Thursday took up a bill that would criminalize identifying as LGBTQ, with lawmakers saying the current ban on same-sex relations does not go far enough.

Anti-LGBTQ sentiment is deeply entrenched in the highly conservative and religious east African nation, with same-sex relations punishable by up to life in prison.

More than 30 African countries ban same-sex relations, but Uganda’s law, if passed, would appear to be the first to criminalize merely identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ), according to Human Rights Watch.

The proposed Ugandan law was introduced as a private lawmaker’s bill and aims to allow the country to fight “threats to the traditional, heterosexual family”, according to a copy seen by Reuters.

It punishes with up to 10 years in prison any person who “holds out as a lesbian, gay, transgender, a queer or any other sexual or gender identity that is contrary to the binary categories of male and female”.

(One of my sisters and her husband just left to do (Mormon) missionary work in Uganda. I would nto be wurprised if the Mormon church used influence (money) to help get the law passed.)

snytiger6 9 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I will avoid that continent all together for my safety.

"Corruption and Immorality, thy name is Uganda."

Uganda only became fanatically "binary" after Museveni came to power, 6 years after the overthrow of Idi Amin, and after a 2 year war, in which he used child soldiers.

Homosexually already is basically criminalized in Uganda.

They have been in and out of this Christian crap for the past decade. When in doubt about your ability to govern, to after the queers, easy targets and they make great headlines when they are arrested. So much easier than going after the corrupt and thieving politicians that are robbing the country blind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:713548
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.