Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Talking about Freewill in Christianity

It's interesting that Christians put so much weight on freewill, but the Bible destroys their argument for it.

cglenharris 3 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Evangelical concept of free will came about because god wants you to serve him of your own free will. This is a choice that you make. It is very important that god is not forcing you to serve him. In the confusion about free will, I admit that I believe in it. The rapist has the free will to rape you, or not. The murderer has the free will to kill you, or not. Driving home and having my supper in mind I know exactly what I am going to fix. Then I get home and fix something else.

I think free will and determinism are both misnomers. You post suggests that the notion of determinism has very limited predictive power.

It's a different argument to be made about freewill in general and freewill under the specific condition that you were created by an omniscient God. Especially when the book explicitly says your path is predetermined.

I think that the post is not so much about the debate over whether free will exists or not, but rather about whether the Christian position on free will is self consistent or not.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.