Agnostic.com

4 14

LINK Nebraska State Senators Deliver Master Class in Dealing With Anti-Trans Bills

Nebraska State Senators Deliver Master Class in Dealing With Anti-Trans Bills

“This bill harms me in an unforgivable way," state Sen. Megan Hunt, mother to a trans child, told her GOP colleagues. "This is a line you don’t cross with me."

By Caitlin Cruz

Two Nebraska state senators are showing the world exactly how transphobes, but especially transphobes in power, should be received: Do not give them a single fucking inch. State Sen. Machaela Cavanaugh 🍸 originally made headlines for her weeks-long filibuster that brought the state unicameral to a halt. But after a vote to advance a bill banning trans healthcare for kids on Thursday, she’s taken up her filibuster again—and this time she’s joined by state Sen. Megan Hunt 🍸.

“When it comes to the protection of children in this state, I will not compromise,” Cavanaugh said in a speech on the floor earlier this week. “I will not compromise.”

Instead of agreeing to make the bill “better” or more palatable for public perception, she said wants everyone in the legislature to be forced to show on the record exactly how they feel about trans people. “So if you vote for this, you vote for this. You vote for LB 574 in its purest evil form. You vote for 574 to go after the medical community, to go after parents and to go after trans children. That’s what you vote for,” she said.

Here’s more of her speech, which is all just so fucking good and righteous:

“I’m going to block anything from changing this bill. I tried to get the committee to change this bill before it came out of committee. I tried to convince the committee members that we should consider an amendment. I asked if the introducer requested an amendment. No. No. No.”

“So now you wanna compromise? To assuage your guilt? No thank you. I will not allow you to assuage your guilt. If you want to find a way to vote for 574, vote for 574. It’s there for you. Go for it. Have at it. But it’s not gonna get better. It’s going to be in its pure from that Sen. [Kathleen Kauth] and the male members of the HHS committee decided it would be in.”

“You get to vote for that and nothing else. If you want to blame me for your inability to stand up for your own beliefs, fine. I don’t have to live with you. I don’t have to live with your conscious, you do.”

The issue hits close to home for Hunt, another state senator from Omaha, who’s fighting for her own trans child. “We’ve made it clear that this is a line in the sand. People have said, What if we go after your bills? What if we put a bunch of bills introduced by progressives on the agenda, are you going to filibuster those too? Yeah. Yes, because we’re not like you. We have a principle and a value that actually matters that much to use that we’re willing to stand up for,” she told the legislature.

Hunt continued with a defense that I want to see from all lawmakers:

“This bill harms me in an unforgivable way. This is a line you don’t cross with me. If you cross it today you’re staying on other side of it, because you have done irreparable harm. You’re doing harm to the body and Nebraska as well. Don’t say hi to me in the hall. Don’t ask me how my weekend was. Don’t walk my desk and ask me anything. Don’t send me Christmas cards. Take me off the list. You don’t know me. We have no relationship. And if you don’t believe me, if you think I’m going to cool down and change my mind? You should believe me. No one in the world holds a grudge like me. And no one in the world cares less about being petty than me. I don’t care. I don’t like you. You aren’t welcome in my space. You aren’t’ a safe person for my child to be around or any child frankly. Don’t believe me? You should.”

The issue hits close to home for Hunt, another state senator from Omaha, who’s fighting for her own trans child. “We’ve made it clear that this is a line in the sand. People have said, What if we go after your bills? What if we put a bunch of bills introduced by progressives on the agenda, are you going to filibuster those too? Yeah. Yes, because we’re not like you. We have a principle and a value that actually matters that much to use that we’re willing to stand up for,” she told the legislature.

Hunt continued with a defense that I want to see from all lawmakers:

“This bill harms me in an unforgivable way. This is a line you don’t cross with me. If you cross it today you’re staying on other side of it, because you have done irreparable harm. You’re doing harm to the body and Nebraska as well. Don’t say hi to me in the hall. Don’t ask me how my weekend was. Don’t walk my desk and ask me anything. Don’t send me Christmas cards. Take me off the list. You don’t know me. We have no relationship. And if you don’t believe me, if you think I’m going to cool down and change my mind? You should believe me. No one in the world holds a grudge like me. And no one in the world cares less about being petty than me. I don’t care. I don’t like you. You aren’t welcome in my space. You aren’t’ a safe person for my child to be around or any child frankly. Don’t believe me? You should.”

HippieChick58 9 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is how to deal with those thugs;no quarter and no compromise!

Yup..this is how you deal with MAGAt Kkkristian politicians..refuse to budge an inch..call out their Hypocrisy, by name, every damn time a bill like this, or Any bill that restricts the Rights of people..

Good for her for standing up for the trans community.

I hope she stays safe!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.