Agnostic.com

3 0

Now this is interesting.
The Cambridge Dictionary meaning of insurrection.
insurrection
noun [ C or U ]
UK /ˌɪn.sərˈek.ʃən/ US /ˌɪn.sɚˈek.ʃən/
an organized attempt by a group of people to defeat their government and take control of their country, usually by violence:
[dictionary.cambridge.org]

And now the one from Merriam Webster, which it seems must be the US definition of the same word.
insurrection
noun
in·​sur·​rec·​tion ˌin📞-sə-ˈrek-shən
Synonyms of insurrection
: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government
[merriam-webster.com]

Going by the Merriam Webster definition, every single government protest can be classed as an "insurrection"
That explains a lot as I go by the Cambridge definition.

puff 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The French are strongly unionized and the various unions support each other 100%......a damn fine & powerful arrangement!

So the current French civil riots on the streets are, by American definition, an insurrection. Glad that's been cleared up!
I wonder how the two define a revolution.

They mean the same thing to me and most of us know that January 6th was not simply people visiting. Videos of the event show the truth of it and death does not usually come from a visit. Ignorant people actually believed Donald Trump enough to where they thought their mobs would start a revolt that would allow Trump to keep the presidency.

The only death was a former female vet shot by a cop. A year before a BLM riot took place outside that church in Washington, which was vandalized, and in which more police were injured.
Does that insurrection upset you as much?
The States has insurrections everyday. Wish one would succeed to rid yourselves of the Pentagon, the real leaders there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.