Agnostic.com

3 7

In the seven decades of my life, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure why some people act as they do and say what they say. Most often, I can figure it out, but some times, I am just stumped. Today, I was stumped.

I was leaving Walmart (yes, I spent too much time in that store, but it is less than ten minutes from my house) and an old BF was coming in the door. We dated at least 8 years ago and I had last seen him (also in Walmart) several months ago. He looked at me and said, "You cut your hair" in a rather disappointed voice.

My hair is down to the bottom of my derriere and longer than it was when we were dating. He could not even see my back to gauge how long my hair is. I said, "No, I did not cut my hair."

In all seriousness, he critically replied, "Yeah, you did."

I stretched the back locks out to the side--almost three feet of them--and repeated, "No, I didn't cut my hair." Still serious, he said, "I think you did." At that point, he needed to talk to someone who works at the store and I left.

What WAS that about? A power play? It is not the first time a man, including him, has contradicted me in such a manner about an aspect of my life that he knew nothing about. He did have a stroke several years ago, but his eyesight is not impaired!

I suppose that he does not understand why, when I first saw him about a year ago after not seeing him for several years (he was married during that time, but his wife left him--his fifth wife), and he took my hand and said, "I've missed you, been thinking about you, and would like for us to take up where we left off," that I turned him down. I easily figured out why he wanted to get back together--no secret there!

Gwendolyn2018 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rude. It's none of his business whether you cut your hair or not as well.

MizJ Level 8 Mar 31, 2023

ex and i once tried going out with a couple who we only knew the man from work....on the second try, i had had an 'afro' perm, all the rage then, which made one's hair look much lighter. We almost got into a fight as she kept insisting i had dyed my hair, after i told her every time, no, it's the perm (which was obviously a huge change from my straight hair....call me a liar, whydoncha, bitch.........don't miss her at all!

I would have said "yeah, whatever. Then walked away. Yes, it was a power play of sorts, he made you ill at ease. You don't owe him anything, if you see him again keep it short, give him nothing beyond polite greetings.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:716821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.