Agnostic.com

13 18

Only in Washington State

Don't forget sunny Eastern Washington! That's where I live.

You know you live in Western Washington State when:

You know the Vitamin D deficiency struggle is real.
You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Sammamish, Enumclaw and Issaquah.
You avoid driving through Seattle at all costs.
You know what a Geoduck is.
You consider swimming an indoor sport.
You see a person carrying an umbrella and instantly think tourist.
Your lawn is mostly moss and you don't really care.
Honking your car horn is for absolute emergencies.
You're extremely picky about your coffee.
“The mountain is out today" isn't a strange statement.
While out of state you just tell people you're from Seattle since that's the only known city in Washington according to the rest of the world.
You've eaten in the Space Needle, and while it was delicious, you're never paying $50 for a meal in the sky again.
You rarely wash your car because it's just going to get washed by the rain tomorrow.
You're used to the phrase "No, not DC" when telling out of staters where you're from.
Northface is always in fashion.
You take a warm coat and a hat with you for a day at the beach.
You have mastered the art of doing everything in the rain, because, well, Washington.
You play the "no you go" at four-way stop.
You have had both the thought of how beautiful Mount Rainier is, while simultaneously accepting that it will probably kill you someday.
You get a little twitchy if it's been more than a week since it last rained.
You believe the "Twilight" movie ruined Forks.
You can say Humptulips, Lilliwap and Dosewallips without giggling.

Photos:

1. My guess is the foreground is Mt. St. Helens before it blew. Japanese people loved it's conical shape because it reminded them of Mt. Fuji. Background: Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams.

2. The Enchantment Mountains in North Central WA.

3. Me at the Pacific Ocean.

4. Mt. Rainier wrapped by the Enchantments. I took this photo from a small plane.

5. Me at Spider Meadows, North Central WA.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still mix up the Chiwakum and Chiwawa rivers.

After 47 years living in WA State.

Mt. St. Helens before and after.

I still remember the ash on our cars, etc. What a shock that it actually erupted! May 18th will always be remembered as the day Mount Saint Helens blew!

@Julie808 But it shouldn’t have been a shock; the scientists were saying for weeks that it was going to happen.

@MsKathleen It was a shock during those weeks that what we thought was a dormant volcano was actually showing signs of erupting.

In that last shot of you in the high meadow...Did you burst out singing, "The HILLS are aliiive...with the sound of MUsiiiiic" ? 😁

Not only do we know what a geoduck is, we know how to pronounce it too!

We sashimi eaters know, too.

@MsKathleen I've never heard of geoduck sashimi, but not being a big fan raw fish, I like to say I like my sashimi well done, haha! I guess I'm a hick. 😉

Not crazy about the geoduck chowder my mom made 50+ years ago either. I can still make the face all my siblings and I made when we each tasted what was for dinner that night. She never made it again. (Love clam chowder though!)

@Julie808 I love it. It can be kinda crunchy.

Nice photos! I do miss the Seattle area. It's true by the late 1980's some areas had become problematic but I never had much problems with the traffic. Working 2nd shift helped but I also rode my bike and used the transit system. One secret to the traffic was if you just had to be in the city and then get back to your home outside the city if you hit the street 5 to 10 minutes before the hour you are literally first in line. Businesses are 9 to5 or 8 to 4, etc. so when the employees leave it's a rush but before the hour there is slack time.

@silverotter11

Exactly. When I moved to Washington State at 21, the Greater Seattle area had a half million residents.

It was clear that Seattle is bound by two bodies of water: Lake Washington and the Puget Sound. Two north/south highways. Two bridges over Lake Washington. Seattle clearly needed rapid transit.

But Seattle residents foolishly voted down rapid transit for 30 years. Meanwhile, the Seattle area grew from a half million people to 3.6 million. The result is horrendous traffic congestion. Gridlock.

I know how to pronounce all those cities. I have eaten in the Space Needle once, and yeah it was pricey! Good though, and the view! One day I will get back there, I hope.

I loved the northwest coast absolutely beautiful. What I find more important is sunshine my vitamin D happiness I don't tan, instead rust.

And with all that...it is beautiful. You take lovely photographs. Thank you.

Have the eggs hatched yet?

Betty Level 8 Apr 20, 2023

@Betty

Thank you!

Like last year, only one of two eggs hatched. Eurasian collared doves only lay one or two eggs.

It's the same dove as last year. She acclimated to me. She doesn't startle and fly off the nest when I approach the window like last year.

@LiterateHiker How thrilling that must be to gain the trust of a wild animal like that. How is the little one doing so far? 🙂

@Betty

Baby dove is stretching her wings, getting ready to fly.

@LiterateHiker That is so sweet. Are you able to get pictures of the baby? That would be awesome to see. 🙂

@Betty

The nest is right outside my second story bedroom window. It's hard to take clear photos through glass and screens.

@Betty

@LiterateHiker That's the mama?

@Betty

No, that's baby at two weeks old.

@LiterateHiker Baby is growing up fast. 🙂

@Betty

Here's a professional photo of a Eurasian Collared Dove feeding her newborn chick.

@LiterateHiker They are very lovely-looking birds. How special to have a nest right outside your window. One that they return to on a yearly basis. 🙂

I did one week there (TDY in 1979) and enjoyed it thoroughly. Mt. Ranier was even out one day. Had lunch at the needle, was not impressed. I got disoriented because north moved. One big memory is all the drunk people sleeping everywhere. None of them bothered me, and I didn't bother them. But for retirement, I moved where it's sunny almost every day.

I would still like to live there.

I had dinner at the Space Needle once. I remember nothing about it at all.

I love the volcanoes of Washington state! While I attended college there, I hiked and skied on Mount Rainier (up as high as Camp Muir) and Mount Baker, and summited Mt. Saint Helens right before it blew its top. Some friends tried the same thing a few weeks before me and were not so lucky. A storm came up from the side opposite to where they were climbing, and high winds literally blew them off the mountain. One fell (slid) over 900 feet, hit a patch of rocks on the way, and got pretty banged up. After he got out of the hospital, he was in a wheelchair for many months.

Some I identify with: washing my car in the rain, my lawn is turning into clover, when I see tourists in the spring all bundled up I know they're from Arizona, In Seattle I had a clear view of Mt. Rainier (when it was out) and here a clear view of the Olympic Mts. (when they are out), I don't worry about a Mt. Rainier eruption as I am on the safe side. My question is; are the mountains Rainier, Baker and Adams? There are almost a dozen volcanos in the state. There is a spot in Seattle one can see both Rainier and Baker.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.