Agnostic.com

9 10

LINK Texas bills would force classrooms to display the Ten Commandments (KJV edition)

How will teachers explain “adultery” to 5-year-olds? Who knows. But there is a loophole.

Legislation filed by Texas Republicans would require all public schools to place the Ten Commandments—King James’ Version only—on the walls of every classroom. It’s yet another attempt to shove Christianity on all students.

SB 1515, filed by Sen. Phil King, and companion bill HB 3448, filed by Rep. Candy Noble, spell out exactly what the 16”-by-20” posters would say:

The Ten Commandments

I AM the LORD thy God.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.

Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor ’s house.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor ’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor’s.

The same people who don’t want high schoolers learning about sex, systemic racism, or LGBTQ people, have very specific things they want kindergartners to know about when it comes to adultery and their neighbor’s maidservants. (How teachers plan to explain “adultery” to 5-year-olds is anyone’s guess, but that’s apparently outside the bounds of age-appropriate questions.)

The bills say the posters can be privately donated or made “using public funds.” But while it says the size and typeface must be “legible to a person with average vision from anywhere in the classroom,” there’s nothing that says it must be written in English… which should come as a joy to activists like Chaz Stevens, who previously sent schools “In God We Trust” posters written in Arabic (and other languages).

More to the point, though, what problem would these posters solve? (Answer: none.) No potential school shooter has ever plotted out a path of destruction only to reconsider after realizing the Ten Commandments say “Thou shalt NOT kill.” Students’ lives will not be any better because they have to stare at a list of rules in their classrooms that includes mandates against believing in false gods, not making “graven images,” taking God’s name in vain, and keeping the Sabbath day holy.

And if students need a sign to remind them not to murder others, they have bigger problems. It would be great if they could see a mental health professional, but different Texas lawmakers are currently trying to replace those experts with Christian chaplains.

These bills are also an endorsement of Christianity by the government, in direct violation of the Establishment Clause. The fact that the first commandment is selectively capitalized only highlights that point. The message is not that students should believe in God; it’s that they should embrace conservative Christianity specifically.

The first hearing on the bill is scheduled for Wednesday.

(If I were a teacher in Texas and the law required me to display the ten commandments, I'd find (or make) a poster that showed how the ten commandments were mostly plagiarized from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Thus both fultilling the law and nullifying the indoctrinational intent.)

snytiger6 9 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's a cheaper way to solve the states problems than doing it the correct way. Hearing this makes me have no desire to have children.

More proof that only Humans are evil.

Update, those asshats in the Texas Senate passed it onto the house where it faces an uncertain future. This is one of those bills that could sneak in under the wire where at the end of the session bills are passed in mass by voice vote, so let's hope the courts are still sane.

Sane courts in the United $tates of Absurdity???

@anglophone As if you have a clue.

You are OBVIOUSLY unaware of a prior Supreme Court decision stating the 10 Commndments could not be displayed in the Arkansas Court. That decision will void any law Texas passes.

However since you have no idea of U.S. law you belch out your ignorant nonsense.

Adultery is simple. It's grown up. it's an adult tree. 🙂

I can't covet my neighbors wife? Oh no! And no graven images? Sh*t!

Yeah, that kind of rules out owning any coins...

It hasn't made it out of committee yet, Texas has lost this fight and others like it before, O'Hare was from Austin, several Houston and Dallas cases also lost by the state. I'm sure my granddaughter who is not yet one will not have to see that in her classroom.

youtube.com/watch?v=sk81tUUhRig&t=14s

Betty Level 8 Apr 22, 2023
Your like didn't come out as a link.

@snytiger6 Thank you. I don't know what I did wrong. Thanks for fixing it. 🙂

@snytiger6 Thanks for posting. I loved George.

What was that about the Constitution of the United States of America?

I'm sure the FFRF or ACLU will take it to court.

What gets me is these fuckwits' absolute refusal to learn that they cannot do that sort of thing legally. "They are a disgrace to the human species."

They have before and they won. The problem is that now there are a bunch of religious fanatics on the court, the religious right wants to retry it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.