Agnostic.com

7 9

[triblive.com]

The Polio vaccine. Remember when people WEREN'T morons?

Secretguy 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Julie808 and @racocn8
Did polio injections leave telltale scarring? My recent two didn’t. Smallpox vaccinations were notorious for leaving a long lasting if not permanent scar.

A smallpox vaccination scar occurs because the vaccination causes an injury at the injection site. Other vaccinations typically involve injecting fluid with thin needles. However, smallpox vaccination requires a different method of injection. When administering this type of vaccination, a healthcare provider dips a two pronged — or bifurcated — needle into the vaccine fluid, then jabs the needle forcefully into the person’s arm. The body’s immune system reacts to the live virus in the vaccination by creating a defense that pushes the virus out. It is this reaction that leads to the scarring. As the body fights the infection, a scab begins to form. The scab may ooze and feel itchy and tight. This is a normal reaction to scabbing. As the injury at the injection site heals, the scab falls off and leaves behind an area of skin that looks like a pockmark.

[medicalnewstoday.com]

I remember being able to see the round scar for some time, but I don't remember when it faded away. Heck, it was close to 60 years ago I'm guessing. I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

Yes, a wonderful vaccine, able to attain a herd immunity through a vaccination program because it stopped transmission. People lining up for it willingly because the vaccine worked against a deadly disease.
The only argument imo is informed consent, a yes or no question eg should medical treatment be forced on people? Amazing how many morons think medicines should be forced on people. Even ones that don't work and are still in testing. Even targeting children who were never at risk from the disease.

puff Level 8 Apr 29, 2023

Amazing how many morons don't get the concept of the greater good. But I supposed I can't blame people for failing to grasp things beyond their capability.

@Secretguy Do explain what greater good there is regarding covid jabs when they do not stop transmission? Waiting.........................
NB if they did stop transmission in a meaningful way eg long lasting, then 60% coverage should do the job of herd immunity. Then the antivaxxers would not matter. All for vaccines, not so much in favour of false advertising.

I had the injection and used to be able to see the scar, but no more. My sister had the sugar cube and I was so jealous of that. We both are happy and healthy and escaped contracting polio.

Hard to believe there are still people who believe that anyone who got the polio vaccine within the last 70 years will die of cancer, but I met one of those believers a couple of weeks ago. I'll try my luck with science over fear mongering. With science, when a mistake is discovered, it is corrected.

I remember seeing people with the vaccine scar and wondering why I didn't have one (and being glad not to be scarred like that). (Now I'm proud of my scars...)

I remember being lined up in the school, during the school day, for both the red liquid over a sugar cube and the shot....everybody was ecstatic!
if not a recipient, no more school for you....not aware of any such BS, either.
in fact your parents could not register you for any grade of school, including kindergarten, without your Shot Card even before the polio vax came out.
i also remember Public Service movies in the gym, every Thursday after lunch, where we got to see how happy Little Emily was, living in her Iron Lung, utilizing her mirror, and the last scene was the camera at the ceiling pulling back to show rows & rows & rows of Little Emilys. as the chuffing sound the iron lungs made increased.
I believe this short may still be available, in B&W of course, on Youtube.
Almost as cheerful & uplifting as "Duck & Cover"!

I remember as a child being driven to get the oral vaccine and waiting in a line several blocks long. There were several people in iron lungs in our town and I don't know how many people on crutches and wheelchairs to remind you that it was real and you did need to be protected..

I remember trick-or-treating at a house where one occupant was in an iron lung, and to my eyes, THAT WAS SCARY!!!

The oral vaccine was so successful in the US the cases that still occurred were due to rare backmutations of the vaccines into vaccine derived cases. After the switch to injectable vaccine this was no longer an issue. I had gotten the oral vaccine as a child, but after the case of vaccine derived polio in NY decided to go through the three shot series of injectable vaccine to feel more safe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:721756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.