Agnostic.com

2 5

LINK A monumental moment: End of international emergency YLE 05/05/2023

KATELYN JETELINA
MAY 5, 2023

Today the World Health Organization declared the end of the Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). This is a huge moment in our story arc of the fight against COVID-19. Here is what it does and does not mean.

What this means
The WHO Emergency Committee believes three things:

COVID-19 is not unusual and unexpected.

Cross-border transmission can’t (and won’t) be stopped.

COVID-19 does not require a coordinated international response.

A PHEIC is a key legal mechanism within global health security. The hope is that it catalyzes timely action to limit the societal impacts of emerging risks. Since the PHEIC mechanism started in 2005, a PHEIC has ended five (out of seven) times. So this is a fairly new mechanism. But essentially the end of the PHEIC means:

The end of mobilizing international coordination;

The end of streamlining international funding;

The end of accelerating the advancement of the development of vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics under emergency use authorization.

The WHO now sees COVID-19 as a threat in our regular repertoire of things-trying-to-kill-us. These things will still happen but with less urgency.

What it does not mean
This doesn’t mean the end of a pandemic. Declaring a PHEIC is not the same thing as declaring the end of a pandemic. “Pandemic” is rhetoric that governments use as a communication tool—it indicates the widespread occurrence of an infectious disease across the globe at a particular time. In theory, the end of a PHEIC comes far before the end of a pandemic.

This doesn’t mean that COVID-19 is gone. SARS-CoV-2 is currently mutating 2 times faster than the flu. We will get future waves, but hopefully these will be “wavelets” given the population-level immunity from vaccines and infections. And wavelets will happen several times a year. The probability of a variant of concern (which would be named Pi) is still ~20% in the next 1.5 years. If one emerges, it would likely cause a tsunami. (We saw something similar happen after the 1918 flu emergency ended.) And we cannot ignore the fact that COVID-19 is a leading cause of death in many countries. This will likely remain for years.

This doesn’t mean that we can go back to pre-pandemic times. This does not mean that some countries (cough, cough U.S.) don’t have serious underlying problems that need to be addressed. It’s beyond time to confront the threats to our individual and collective health so we are not in a constant state of emergency. We cannot keep living in a perpetual cycle of panic and neglect.

Bottom line
I welcome this decision to end the emergency for the same reasons I thought it was time to end the American national emergency. We now find ourselves in an awkward phase with this virus—somewhere between a full-blown emergency and an endemic state of predictability. (Epidemiologists don’t have a word for this phase.)

Use this time to take a deep breath, cry, reflect, hit a pillow, meditate and/or celebrate surviving (figurately and literally) the past 3.5 years. We deserve all the feelings today, especially for those of us on the front lines who sacrificed so much. Today is a monumental symbol of this life-changing event. But then we need to hold our heads high and continue fighting COVID-19 and improving our systems so we don’t repeat our failures.

The end of an emergency is the beginning of preparedness.

Love, YLE

“Your Local Epidemiologist (YLE)” is written by Dr. Katelyn Jetelina, MPH PhD—an epidemiologist, data scientist, wife, and mom of two little girls. During the day she works at a nonpartisan health policy think tank and is a senior scientific consultant to a number of organizations, including the CDC. At night she writes this newsletter. Her main goal is to “translate” the ever-evolving public health science so that people will be well equipped to make evidence-based decisions. This newsletter is free thanks to the generous support of fellow YLE community members.

HippieChick58 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learned that my tolerance for the cleaning solutions used by stores and medical clinics give me a headache. Wearing a mask really reduces my asthma symptoms.
It explains why I loathe shopping and going to the doctor's office. It's not a phobia or something I actually have a reaction. I find the more places I need to go to makes the headache worse. It's clears up a short time after my last errand.
I learned from the last 3.5 years I am glad I am a loner and that many people in the U.S. are very mean and stupid. Sadly many died from their ignorance and took some innocents with them, we'll just have to wait and see how that plays out in the future.
What makes me so angry is the toll it took on the essential workers.
I do and yet I don't, miss the people I had to either cut off completely or limit what we talk about. I don't see that changing in the future.
I hope we continue to see your posts from YLE. Thank you!

I will repost YLE as long as she is writing. I am glad you are benefitting from it.

It does mean governments emergency legislation giving them extraordinary powers due to a world wide pandemic being declared by the WHO can no longer be justified legally. So back to informed consent for all medical treatment, which has been common law since the Hippocratic oath was developed.
So Novak can play tennis in the states now, no requirement for those entering the US to be vaccinated against covid. Why they are sending troops to the border with Mexico as covid was used as an excuse to turn many away, people smugglers know that so have organised a new surge of trafficking..

puff Level 8 May 6, 2023
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:722826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.