Agnostic.com

20 5

What is the expected etiquette for posting here?

• 23 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 4 votes
AlgosLethe 5 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All of the replies thusfarare in-line with my mode of conduct. I excluded the ALL ABOVE option so any elaborations could be carried into comments. There are many varied ways to Communicate. I hope to be the Sly & Fool in relaying my thoughts, poetic expressions & novel notions. Kudos to all Below and may it continue Above.

I like Frankness, Creativity and Truth. Not so much on the compromise. I'm here for community, I think the trolls will be easy to determine. I don't know that this helps but I wish you well in whatever you set out to accomplish.

Alil feedback & maybe collaborative efforts or think-tanking. Simple Wants.

You forgot "all of the above" and just for the record, since im new here, Im just hoping it doesnt end up like facebook where everyone is overly offended by every little comment. although I have ran into of a few of them here already! Just steer clear of the Cray cray!

I left that option off because i wished to encourage comment over a simple vote. The feedback has been entirely pleasant. Grateful that this is such an active & engaged Community.

Well, I’d like to think that it about honesty and tact. Sadly, as someone already said, the troll count is rising. And then there are people who take frankness and confuse it with being an asshole.

Like, I’m all for criticizing someone. But not to the point that you have to come back and continue to sling insults. If you can’t add to the discussion without insulting someone, keep your opinion to yourself. And if someone is clearly trying to end the conversation because they disagree with your statement, let it go. Don’t keep trying to keep it going. Get your rise elsewhere.

The reason I like being here is because, for the most part, there are rational and interesting people here. And even though I’m more agnostic and I see there are more atheists here, we can all discuss things interesting and civil.

All in all, be polite. Don’t be a dick. And enjoy what we have here. Report people that violate rules and don’t feed the trolls.

Common Sense, it is.

True dat

N7EIE Level 6 May 3, 2018

Frankness is important but only until it becomes insulting or racist. There has to be limits and that is happening. I have a lot of controversial ideas but it does no one any good to beat people over the head and resort to emotional, personal criticizing outbursts. Evidence based reason generally directed should be encouraged and it seems to be. Compromise is often called for to maintain civility.

Being civil and decent would suffice

Frankness.

Coldo Level 8 May 3, 2018

There isn't one

I embrace Chaos. Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted. Muahahhaha. And i have a sense of humour.

@AlgosLethe exactly

Thabk you for your comments so far. I am a Discordian, positive intent. I do seek Truth In Rant (in tirades veritas). With that said, i do not troll for shockvalue but i am unabashed about speaking in ignorance & seeking correction & counsel. I am writing a novel based on 40+ of the nearly 400 poems i have written. This account may be a roleplay at times of my Protagonist. AlgosLethe Apatheia. Algos 'pain'. Lethe 'oblivion, forgetfullness'. Both are mythical spawns of the greek goddess of Chaos, Eris. Creativity, not Idolatry. Apatheia is the Cynic/Stoic Ideal that does have some parallel with the Ideal of Nirvana.

"Principles" and "Guidelines" are your friend.

I prefer to ask Humans & not common sense postings. I have been posting in unmoderated forums & find asking this question for my first posting is an appropriate gauge of the responses i may receive in the future.

Be clean of body and mind. That means at least bathing every couple of days. And cleaning your keyboards after every session of spewing.

Otherwise anything goes. Until someone confuses your RIGHT to free speech with their "non-right" to not feel offended.

Very well spoken.

Whoah, whoah, whoah... this ain’t America. This is the internet. No one has “rights” to do anything here. It's all a private party and the host doesn’t have to tolerate just any “free speech” that might include: hateful nonsense, deluded paranoia or any other variety of hostile or ungrateful speech. That being said, I think I cursed out the Admin once for deleting comments I made towards what I thought was a hostile and corrosive post. Yet, I’m still here... so, I think the Admin is pretty dang tolerant. As far as “free speech” goes out there in the “real world”.., there are a few things I like to remind people... free speech does not in any protect you from the consequences, if you are hostile, expect to get your teeth knocked in, legal or not... so watch your mouth if you like a face that doesn’t hurt. The other thing is, free speech does not guarantee an audience. No one has to listen or attend your tirade... there is no clause that states that anyone has to take you seriously or respect your opinions.

@Anemynous i also reserve myself under Right Speech as defined in the Eightfold Path of buddhist philosophy. If i wish to poke at something, i try Sly & flank. I have never been punched in the face so i think i have outwitted enough people to say that i gauge the situations well. Besides, the moment i am attacked, i win. Their Karma is their reaction. I will not withold my tongue if i believe i can handle the response. Intimidation is not part of the Dialectic - that is what Monkeys Do.

@Anemynous Expecting to be beaten for saying something is a reality. But the application of laws should pertain. Hit someone for else than self defense and you should be jailed.

And: i wrote that someone no doubt will start feeling insulted or demeaned,... and one of those someones may complain to an admin that their feelings are hurt and someone should punish the big bad person who wrote words, and that admin may concur, and then the rest of us lose.

And so it goes.

Need to be able to choose more than one. My experience so far has been mostly positive. But I do think this type of forum gives license to bullies who are too afraid to spout their nastiness in person. Think about it, you don't have to post a photo, you can lie about your age, where you live, and who you are. Those of us that are doing it for a sense of community just need to stand strong

Thank you for being Frank.

My posting talks just about that issue. Anonymity brings out hidden thoughts that people, more often than not, will bring out. Another book "One day we will all be dead and none of this will matter" which I recommend talked about all the vitriol directed at her about what she said in the book AND her tribe (race - she was living in Toronto but from India).

@JackPedigo yes that is quite true. And the other thing is that even if a site asks for photos and other information there is no guarantee that any of it is accurate.

@AmelieMatisse Oh no, you have found me out!!

I think many of us want to be candid on this website, in reaction to having to keep quiet about our beliefs most of the time to get along.

I think the term "Online Etiquette" is an Oxymoron.

I'm adding this one to my list of oxymoron

See, i do believe in manners. As far fetched as it may be, how i carry myself matters to me. How i perceive others is equally important. As for oxymoronical, yes, anonymity does allow for abuse. Creating fake accounts, censorship through automated Abuse-reporting.etc etc etc

@AlgosLethe Does your belief in Manners make Trump exhibit them?
Although they may be nice, and serve a valid function in society, online people tend NOT to use them, and I (and you I bet) are often left aghast at the lack of them displayed.

I don't know.
I'm truthful with responses.
It's up to others to suffer their perceptions of it.

Cheers to that notion.

I wanted to pick them all!

Hehe. You my Kind.

"Don't be a dick" about covers it.

Jnei Level 8 May 3, 2018

My dick is really nice though ?

Succinctly put!

Perhaps honesty. If I say something and someone calls me on it, I may need to admit that I hadn't fully considered it or that they know more about it than I do.

vita Level 7 May 3, 2018

While i won't be asking for bibliographical citations, i expect a pointer when therr is something to learn. There are many learned-things that may not have been updatedin my Logic or Knowledgebase. Frankness is a Kudos

No clue. That is probably why l have been blocked by a few folks. ?

How do you know if you've been blocked? Can you still see their profile? Or is it just "gone"?

Eh, most likely you're not missing anything

@Anemynous When someone blocks you you can no longer view their posts, or their profile. But you'll still see their avatar listed in group memberships, and will still see if they have visited a post (their avatar thumbnail again). If you click on that in an attempt to view their profile you'll get a message that says "This profile is not currently active" or words to that effect. It's a dumb PC message that should just say "This member has blocked you so you can no longer view their profile, or their posts or comments."

@IAMGROOT Good point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.