Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Bystanders Do Nothing as Teen Girl Is Stabbed 22 Times in New Delhi -- The Daily Beast

A 16-year-old girl was stabbed 22 times and bashed with a rock, allegedly by her enraged boyfriend, while bystanders stood by a watched, according to news outlets in India. The fatal attack and the pedestrians’ failure to intervene was caught on security camera, according to NDTV. Officials said the victim quarreled with her boyfriend, an air-conditioning technician, and he followed her as she walked to the birthday party of a friend’s son. “Delhi has become extremely unsafe for women and girls,” Swati Maliwal, head of a women’s organization, said.

(I wonder how much of people not intervening was cultural and how much was due to a "diffusion of responsibility", which is a psychological phenomena where people do nothing because they expect (think) someone else to step in.)

snytiger6 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I expect it is mostly that "diffusion", a well-known & studied phenomenon since Kitty Genovese was robbed, raped & stabbed over 15 minutes or longer, screaming the entire time, in New York City in 1964, killed in full view of Hundreds of apartment windows.

Another country where women's lives have no value.

Especially if of a lower caste. Best description of India I have heard is it is confronting.
It confronts all your senses, assumptions in life and morals. I was working there when the GFC hit in 2008. As a sub-contractor, I was one of the first to be let go. Can't say I was overly upset I would not be going back.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:725910
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.