Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK A South Carolina school board's "moment of silence" has been hijacked by Christians

The atheist who asked the Christians to remain silent was asked to leave

The Berkeley County Board of Education in South Carolina opens all of its meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance and a moment of silence… but for the past few meetings, those moments of silence have been interrupted by a Christian woman who shouts out the Lord’s Prayer.

You can hear it break the silence around the 1:20:40 mark in this video of the May 1 meeting:

The person who thinks God can only hear her if she yells about Jesus isn’t some random person. It’s Ann Conder, a former member of the school board from 2016-2020.

She told a local news outlet that Christian prayers were a formal part of the meetings until 2016, when the state passed a law called the Public Invocation Act in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision in Greece v. Galloway. The Act made it clear that any prayers at public meetings couldn’t “proselytize or advance any one (religion), or to disparage any other faith or belief.” In Berkeley County, in order to avoid trouble and to comply with the law, the Christian prayers were replaced with a neutral moment of silence.

All of that is true… so what the hell is her problem now?

She thinks Christian prayers should be reinstated on the basis of tradition: Because Christian prayers used to be a part of meetings, they should be allowed to make a comeback now. And if the board won’t do it themselves, she’ll just force her faith on everyone else.

“For fear of legal repercussions, the board at that time made the decision to place on the agenda a moment of silence instead of the longstanding practice of opening prayer. I beseech you to reinstate that historical practice,” Conder said to the board during public comment at a recent meeting.

Conder went on to say that recent rulings reinforce the right to prayer openings if they are rooted in tradition.

“It is to invite God into our boardroom so that he will grant you righteous guidance as you make your decisions for our children and their education. We will not be silenced and we will continue to invite God into this boardroom,” Conder said at the comment podium.

It’s one thing to say all that during the public comment portion of the meeting, when all kinds of kooks can say all kinds of insane things for a couple of minutes at a time.

But to hijack the moment of silence for her faith, thereby taking it away from everyone else, is both selfish and disrespectful.

At the most recent meeting last week, after Conder began yelling about Jesus again, a handful of people in the audience could be heard telling her to pipe down. “It’s supposed to be a moment of silence,” one man says around the 1:29:00 mark:

Another one of the sensible critics was Sheryl Monk, an atheist who simply wanted to prevent the meeting from turning into a church service. But when she called for Conder to remain silent, security guards grabbed Monk’s arm and asked her to leave the room.

“I’m an atheist now, but even when I did believe in the Christian God, I still felt the same way. I though government and Church should be this far apart,” Monk spread her hands wide as she explains her stance.

It’s telling that the critic of public prayer was asked to leave while the Christian woman disrupting the meeting faced no consequences at all. After all, the board’s own policies say that members of the public are only allowed to speak during a certain portion of the meeting—and the moment of silence isn’t that time. Monk was right to say, “As long as she keeps getting away with it... it’ll just continue.”

The board doesn’t have much of a choice here. They need to decide whether or not they want everyone to follow the rules or allow meetings to descend into faith-based chaos. If they’re unwilling to stop Conder from filling the silence with Jesus gibberish, then they shouldn’t be angry when other members of the public shout her down. What they can’t do is permit the Christian to disrupt the meeting while punishing everyone else.

If they don’t like those options, then they should just do away with the moment of silence entirely.

snytiger6 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I firmly agree, and boy are they all screwed up. When I was in high school the "moment of silence" was always the thing. Those who want to can have a moment of silence, the teacher said. This came about after the lawsuits of MM O'Hair and the problem with that "moment" is that believers continually say we took god and prayer out of our schools. I simply do not remember prayer ever being in our schools. Believers that I went to school with claim that they do remember. I suppose the preacher was always there week after week to drum this into their heads. Even though I was Pentecostal and later studied for the ministry I simply cannot remember Jeebus being there with us in the classroom. I'm sure that even in that "moment of silence" some believers were asking to make 100 on their tests while Bobby would fail. This could be asked with a smirk and a smile, but I do not remember any of it. I went to a public school so there is no reason to have these memories that others claim to have. The only way we could of had them in the first place would be if originally we were offered " a moment of silent prayer." If this causes problems for anyone in South Carolina or anywhere else, the "moment of silence" should be completely removed.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:726763
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.