Agnostic.com

10 3

Would blocking somebody here be the same as shunning in a religious sense?

• 2 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 3 votes
PickledRick 8 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It isn't religious. There are people I avoid. There are restaurants to which I won't go.

I am seeing more posts on this issue. What is the big deal? If I ride the subway in NYC I would not interact with every individual on the ride. THis is no different. I did not realize by being on this site that was a requirement

In a way, yes. Not as universal, but same effect on a smaller scale.

We don't have that much scope over someones life though and individual blocking seems of much less magnitude than wholesale shunning.

I have enough irritation in my life. Not here to listen to or waste time on people I don't like.

Shunning was meant to force people to do what the church wanted. Cut off their ties with family and friends. Make it so businesses in the community would not serve that person. In times past the person would give in or die. I'm sure the church was happy with either result. The shunned would become a tale of forgiveness or a tragic cautionary tale.

Ok I'll bite....
Imagine for a second a person shunned from atheism/agnosticism, does that mean he/she is forced into choosing a religion?
Us: "You!, yes, you!. You are not welcomed here. You must start worshiping a diety and read only one book from now on! Leave us!"
He/she: "aaaaaah man!"
Little baby Jesus' ears perk up: "did I here Amen?"

Why does baby Jesus have donkey ears?

@Blindbird not Donkey, more like sheep (herder)... wink!

Am I the only one who did not take this seriously? I read the question and laughed my ass off. hahahahaha I mean really??

No. If you shun someone you are also supposed to prevent anyone else in your community from speaking to that person. Shunning is a hideous torture to inflict on a social animal, especially a child.

Never blocked anyone. Now scammers I report and get removed asap.

I have blocked someone who was so persistent they were getting totally on my case and I didnt imagine that they tried to understand at all just kept repeating - Someone else did exactly the same thing and I offered for him to block me I think and hope he has because it was way petty we were not on the same page at all .

but I don't agree that it is the same as shunning in a religious sense you can't really get on with everybody but in a religious sense I imagine that you're supposed to try and try harder

@LetzGetReal THANK YOU!!!! It’s great when women have each others’ backs. ????

@LetzGetReal
?I love youz?

@LetzGetReal ?? Lovz ya right back?!

@CarolinaGirl60
Exactly right❣

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.