Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Store Owner Shot Dead by Man Angered at Her Rainbow Flag -- Newsweek

A woman in California has died after being shot by a man who was reportedly angered about the display of a rainbow flag at the deceased's store.

Twin Peaks Sheriff's Station deputies were alerted to reports of a shooting at the Mag Pi clothing store in Cedar Glen, near Lake Arrowhead, northeast of Los Angeles on Friday, August 18.

Police from San Bernadino said in a Saturday release: "When deputies arrived, they located the victim, identified as Laura Ann Carleton, suffering from a gunshot wound. Emergency medical personnel pronounced Carleton deceased at the scene.

"During the response to the initial scene on Hook Creek Road, deputies received updates from sheriff's dispatch indicating the suspect, who has not been identified, fled on foot and was seen on Torrey Road, east of Highway 173."

Deputies later located the suspect, who was still armed with a handgun, near Torrey Road and Rouse Ranch Road.

The suspect who was still armed, according to reports, was killed in a shootout after being approached by officers. No law-enforcement officials were injured.

The Sheriff's Specialized Investigations Division also responded and has taken over the investigation.

A law-enforcement spokesperson added: "Through further investigation, detectives learned the suspect made several disparaging remarks about a rainbow flag that stood outside the store before shooting Carleton."

Lake Arrowhead LGBTQ, which says its aim is to create an inclusive and safe community for LGBTQ people in the area, paid tribute to Carleton in a Saturday Facebook post.

It read: "Today was a very sad day for Lake Arrowhead and for the LGBTQ community. Our friend and supporter Lauri Carleton @magpi_shop was murdered defending her lgbtq+ Pride flags in front of her store in Cedar Glen, California.

"Lauri did not identify as LGBTQ+ but spent her time helping and advocating for everyone in the community. She will be truly missed. From what we understand the suspect is no longer a threat."

Democratic California Senate candidate for District 19 Lisa Middleton, who is transgender, called for an end to gun violence in a Saturday post shared on X, formerly known as Twitter: "I was devastated to learn the news of the tragic murder of Lauri Carleton near Lake Arrowhead yesterday.

"Reports suggest that the murderer committed this senseless act of violence in response to Lauri flying a Pride flag at her shop Mag Pi. Cheryl and I mourn for her loss and wish her husband and their nine children peace and comfort.

"I am grateful to the brave San Bernadino County Sheriff's deputies who responded yesterday.

"While there is much we still need to learn about this attack, we do know this: all Americans deserve to be safe from gun violence and we must reject hate, fear, and discrimination in all its forms."

Newsweek has contacted the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Department for comment via email.

snytiger6 9 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This story makes me so sick. My daughter is gay and she attends as many pride events as she can. I want to support her but I am very fearful. You should not have to be afraid to be who you are. I really don't know what to do with this story. My reaction is just what they want it to be. I want to stay home all the time with my loved ones around me and never go out where it is not safe.

Don't let them scare and intimidate you into staying home and always keeping quiet, that's exactly what they want, and if we do that, then they win and take over the country for sure. I am going to keep living my life and speaking up, because we still have a chance to win and defeat their movement, even if it may come to civil war...

@TomMcGiverin I know that that is what they want. It is why they call it terrorism. Unfortunately, I cannot help but be terrorised.

@MyTVC15 Understood. I guess it's my Irish nature, that I am too stubborn to be cowed, and would rather fight than submit to them.. I am also glad that at least the cops killed the guy, saved the taxpayers the cost of a trial and the friends of the victim having to watch the guy defend his bigotry in front of them...

I would encourage all queer folks who feel they are likely targets of violence in their community, to arm themselves, as they are in the same boat as black folks, targets of bigots who are already carrying firearms, and also feeling emboldened, by signs that the cops are on their side, as well as many pols in their states, so queer people arming themselves, is no different that Malcom X's words about self defense, it is simply being intelligent, in the face of what they are up against.

Once most of us are cowed into silence and staying home, it is already over, and we are like the Jews in Hitler's Germany, it's game over, and all done except the dying...

Society seems unwilling to protect itself from such murderous wretches.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:728664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.