Agnostic.com

12 1

What did you like most about the individual countries you've traveled to? What were your take-aways?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lived in Belgium from 3rd-8th grade. My parents wanted to visit Europe but were just poor teachers so the only way we could afford it was if they worked and lived there. They got a job teaching at an international school in Waterloo, Belgium. Pretty much every vacation of any length we packed up a VW CamperVan and took off. Visited almost every country in Western and Eastern Europe. My favorite places were Edinburgh, Scotland for just the feel and mood of the city and Florence, Italy for the art and the beyond amazing gelato store we discovered. I'm also a huge Michelangelo fan. The only time I felt scared was travelling through Northern Ireland during The Troubles but otherwise Ireland is gorgeous. Checkpoint Charlie wasn't as scary as that just very, very sad. Greatly enjoyed visiting Germany many times and Sweden too. They are my heritage. Also was in Pune, India for 8 months on a college program. Learned a lot in India; different ways of being and seeing the world. This past February I visited my father in Yangon, Myanmar and Bangkok before he died. He had adopted his third wife's (yeah I know) niece so I got a sister when I visited Myanmar. Helluva lot better than any tourist tchotchke this lifelong only child could have brought home. After visiting Bangkok, which is fast becoming a wealthy international city, I will never complain about any traffic jam again! Oh, and if you go it is illegal to say anything bad about the Thai royal family. Think more people in this country would benefit from international travel and seeing there are other ways to be in this world.

I loved France because of its beauty, especially Paris, plus I have French roots ha ha! Seriously, though, Germany and Korea was pretty nice.

i was in canada, toronto, i was surprised they take US currency, i liked that it felt like i was still in the US lol

denmark .. run by women , norway looks after everybody, italy .. steeped in history and very cultured. bahamas ... best beaches on the planet. thailand .. kings palace more ornate than vatican! , england .. landscape heaven .france... cheese heaven. greece climate heaven , spain secular public works, morocco... hash heaven and 1000 year old medina with people living in it !

Australia (Sydney): the people were so warm and welcoming. We moved there with a nine month old child in 1991. Stayed for a year. Only had what we could carry in out suitcases. Everyone was generous, giving & loaning us things, and friendly showing us around.

I liked the beer selection in Belgium. ???? Of course, that was over 20 years ago and a lot of it is available now in the US. I was surprised at how many people spoke English, and spoke it very well. And people were very friendly and helpful. The area I visited, the city of Genk, had a large Italian community, families that moved there during WWII. Some great Italian restaurants in the city. I really liked the laid back culture of the cities I visited on the trip (Amsterdam, Brussels, Cologne/Köln).

Italy-history, architecture, culture, food, beaches, women
Mexico-beer, history, architecture
Bermuda-history, beaches, beer
Japan-history, architecture, culture, food, women
France-history, architecture, history, culture, beaches, women
Saudi Arabia-leaving

Its been 40 years since I visited Israel and Europe. Well back in the time of Reagan people in Spain looked down on the US. I was embarassed about Nixon? Portuguese population was much nicer to Americans. My takeaway in Italy were crowded trains, pushy sexually explicit men. Israel was very pushy with Israeli women - older religious forcefully boarding buses, cutting in line.They felt entitled to be first in line for everything.and their kids had a give me attitude. Sorry this is all negative but I sensed an attitude of entitlement in Israel.

Been a long time since I toured deep into Mexico; beautiful land and kind people ..but I’ve had no desire to return. Canada felt like a harsher extension of the Pacific NW (US) where I lived; nice in the summer, but I’d pass on their winters… Hawaii, especially the ‘other islands’ was ..a claustrophobic paradise!

Seems I’d done my traveling through (the original) National Geographic’s … and my one-time ‘bucket list’ of travel desires shrunk significantly. Problem was, I’d been living in paradise ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 9, 2017

I've been to a lot. Canada was my favorite out of all I remember. The other country's were Asian, then the cruise ship places like Belize and cosumel And Jamaica. Canada was just awesome. I would like to go back to my birth place in Lancashire. My mom wanted that too

I would have to say that my favourite place on Earth has to be Switzerland, it is a breathtakingly beautiful country, rich in history and beautiful, old architecture filled cities, Basel, the capital city of Kanton Basel, is just stunning and has to be seen to be appreciated, it is also the location of the Drielanderecht, a metal spire that juts out into the Rhine at the exact point where the borders of Switzerland, Germany and France intersect.
Food wise? There is so much lovely food in Switzerland, Zurcher Gschitzlets, Bratwurst, Bierwurst, Knockwurst, Rosti, Vermicel, it's all good and the beer is good also, Warteck and Feldschlossen beers are the most popular and are sold in bars in 3 different sizes, Rugeli, Stanger and Grosses.

Was there a specific language you needed to know/ speak, or is English generally sufficient..? I’m of Swiss heritage & name and would love to visit the ‘family Kanton’ some day. Fear I’d have to learn German, though 😉

I love love love Denmark the place the people free museums the politics the food history. Really a wonderful place

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.