Agnostic.com

13 3

Is it the same band?

If you have a favorite band. You were one of the original fans at the release of the first album whih identified as their sound.

If the band changes a member is it still the same band or is the band now a brand?

Davidthinks 7 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would guess that most of you commenting on this have never been in a band. That being said, you have no idea what it is like to to try to do what you have always wanted when circumstances change. You do the very best you can with what is available. Change is inevitable. It isn't a bad thing.

You're right, I have never been in a band, so this is what you do. It's your work, your creativity and it does change, change is always good but some of us get stuck in the past or just want the old band back, but it's not for us to say! Either except the change, like it or not and move on

same band, different chapter

AC/DC post Bon Scott?

I saw Metallica in 1984 or 85 on the 'Ride The Lightening" European tour with Cliff Burton playing bass. After he passed I saw them again during the 'Damaged Justice' tour, not the same band. Different sound, I kind of lost interest in them as they sounded too commercial. Hardwired sounds like their old albums, that one I like.

you honestly think it was because Burton died?

@nvrnuff paradigm shift? The music became more mainstream, less "wild". It may have something to do with Burton dying or the label pushed them in that direction or perhaps a natural morph of their sound. Whatever happened there seems to be a vast difference pre and post Burton, it may be just a coincidence but not really important in the greater scheme of things..

Let's ask Pete Best.

Some pause for thought there...

Been a Springsteen fan since the third album, although now I also love the first two. I think the deaths of a couple key members of the E Street Band have had an effect. I've grown old with Bruce, so it's hard to say how much he/they have changed, since it's been an evolution.

It's the remains of the band trying to continue futiley.

Sometimes you can refer to them as a cover band because most of the original members are either dead or left the band

keyword being "most",if only one member, does this apply?

@nvrnuff most of the time with just one original member, it doesn't sound the same, it changes the whole dynamic. Well at least to me it does, lol

@MichelleGar1 I meant if one member is replaced.

@nvrnuff some bands have changed their whole sound with just one replacement, some have stayed true to their sound, I guess it's up to the band. We as fans either take it or not

AC/DC is a really good example of this.
I never liked them as much as I did while Bon Scott was still alive.
Brian Johnson was okay, but never as good.
Now, Axl Rose is the frontman.
No, thank you. I wouldn't go see them now for free.

My favorite band! However, they should have quit after Back in Black. That Fly on the Wall stuff was embarrassing. And they kept going another 30 years. Sad. Bon rules!!!

@farmboy2017 They should have quit when Bon died. Back in Black doesn't hold a candle to Highway to Hell.

@KKGator It’s likely impossible to replace someone voted ‘the greatest frontman ever,’ but Black In Black? The youthful me was so glad they didn’t stop.. And it appears only one thing stops the Young Bros ~

@Varn We all have our preferences, Varn. I also think the wrong Young brother died.
Btw, "the greatest frontman ever" was Freddie Mercury. 😉

@KKGator They both have their virtues

@KKGator Would you quit if a co-worker left the job? For whatever reason?

@nvrnuff I don't see this as the same thing. The Young brothers could have continued as a band with another name. Turns out, Angus Young is just a prick, anyway.

@KKGator It is exactly the same thing. In business, do you scrap the company because one of the board of directors leaves?

For me, that would be Van Halen… Then it was Sam Halen.. Then someone else… My thought is, if the majority of the original members are still ‘there’ ..it’s them.

Varn Level 8 May 3, 2018

@SKETCHYZOMBIE yeah, David was candy rock aimed at 13 year old girls. Sammy was better but waaay crazy! Yikes

@farmboy2017 @SKETCHYZOMBIE I agree completely, Roth now seems the definition of Histrionic personality.. Sammy freed Edward to get creative on the keyboard and the band grew to another level 🙂

@Davidthinks Drove us nuts ...but as with Aerosmith, Joe Perry always came back - and, I love Chiquita 😀

@Davidthinks Bands evolve, no one member is "the band"

The Ship of Theseus? ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.