Agnostic.com

14 5

Expressions

I'm curious: does anyone have any special phrases they use in place of exclamations like "thank God" or "Lord have mercy" or "Jesus Christ"? Occasionally, I'll say something like "thank the cosmos" or "the cosmos willing", but they just don't feel emphatic enough.

ElSuperbeasto 4 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting.

Trod Level 5 May 9, 2018

I often say "My God!" or just "God!". You don't have to believe in him to say it. (He only minds if you do believe in him.) 🙂

I came out of the religious closet years ago. Once my kids were big enough to tell me if a teacher was picking on them because I don't believe or that they were pushing religion on them. It was on. Lol

There's a running joke between a friend and I. It's a long story but we use the expression "holy Christ in a handbag".

• “Oh, for the love of Satan!”
  • “In the name of everything unholy…”
  • “By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!”

Oh for fuck's sake

Mine tend more toward - Hells bells, hell in a hand basket, holy hell, etc.

Replace god with goodness. For the rest I have a sailors mouth. I'll say things like holy Shit or Geeze instead of the religious quotes. I also never say bless you but rather gazoundteit (Idk how to spell it), salud, salute, kihe, prosit which are all variations of wishing good health to people.

I rather like Holey Fuckamoley. It is my go to phrase

I am so stealing that. ?

@ElSuperbeasto Thank you!

Better than "fuck a moley holey." ?

@resserts good one

Religions can't own words. The secular use of words of religious origin is everyone's cultural heritage. I will not be chased from my own nest by people who are so brittle they think poetry is supposed to be taken literally. Art belongs to everyone.

skado Level 9 May 3, 2018

I do but they all involve colorful language. ?

I like C3PO’s “Thank the maker!”

Jesus Christ = Cheese and Rice

Proto Level 6 May 3, 2018

In the army when 1st Sargeant walked in, and i was the first to see, requiring me to call "At Ease!" I always shouted "Mayonnaise!". If you've ever heard at ease yelled out in the army, they're virtually undistinguishable or at least with my southern accent it was.

When someone says " have a blessed day" I say thank you, you have a reality based day". Lol I live in the south.

That takes guts!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72981
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.