Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Boy Scout whistleblower: Mormon church swayed abuse policy -- Axios

A Boy Scouts of America whistleblower says administrators blocked proposed child protection measures because they feared objections from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The allegation appears in the popular Netflix documentary, "Scout's Honor," released Wednesday.

Driving the news: The whistleblower, Michael Johnson, was the BSA's former director of child protection. He said in the film that he wanted to implement "what I felt were very medium-level policies and content training upgrades for youth protection."

"I kept getting told that the Mormons may not like that, the Mormons don't like that," Johnson said.
A BSA executive told him: "You need to understand something … The Mormons are sacrosanct," Johnson said.

The church did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment and did not participate in the film.

The BSA provided a written statement to Axios that reads, in part: "We cannot speak to the many instances of hearsay and personal opinions expressed by Michael Johnson. We are disappointed to hear Mr. Johnson's characterization of the program he spearheaded and the concerns he raised, especially given his past public support for the robust measures the BSA instituted at his recommendation."

Context: The church was the BSA's largest single sponsor for decades, automatically enrolling boys as scouts when they turned 8, until the church withdrew from scouting in 2019 to start its own youth program.

In Mormon-sponsored troops, scout leaders were typically selected from congregations as a church "calling," or leadership role.

Catch up quick: Under a $2.4 billion bankruptcy plan, the BSA last month began processing claims for more than 80,000 people who said they were abused in connection with scouting.

BSA consultants say about 2,800 abuse claims filed in the bankruptcy have direct ties to the church. Another 4,900 are potentially linked to the church, according to a sex abuse claim valuation expert who testified in bankruptcy proceedings last year.
The church had agreed to contribute $250 million to the fund — but a judge last year rejected the agreement over legal conditions that would have protected the church from future lawsuits.
The agreement would have prevented BSA claimants from suing the church separately over incidents that occurred outside of scouting. The judge said that protection for the church went too far.

The latest: "Scout's Honor" was listed among Netflix's top 10 streaming products as of Thursday.

snytiger6 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Am honestly not that familiar with the Mormon church. Is the implication here that Mormons are specifically more inclined to molest young Boy Scouts ? thus they would not want protections in place ?

I think it's mostly that the Mormon church is very protective of its image, so, because they were the sole sponsor, didn't want to project the image that there might have been or might be abuse going on, so they shot down policies that would protect from abuse. That is just my take.

Having had the misfortune of growing up in the Mormon church, I believe their actions fit right along with their severe denial of things that don't fit their image of how they think life should be. They tend to deny inconvenient realities a great deal.

I was a boy scout. We learned very practical things. Learned how to use a compass, basic first aid etc. I think it was mostly all good. No religious bs.

There is nothing wrong with the basic idea of teaching boys how to tie knots, set up tents, and build campfires. But the organization has to be a lot more circumspect in its recruitment of leadership. And they need to address issues quickly and forthrightly. No covering for bad apples!

My primary objection to the Boy Scouts of America is that they describe themselves as a religious organization. Other than that, if they removed god from the organization, it would be a great organization to teaching kids a few practical skills.

I was a boy scout, but not by choice. My father forced me to participate. They changed leaders so often, and new leaders would not accept work signed off by the old leaders, and so I just gave up on earning badges and just endured it until I was old enough to get out. My father didn't push me into the Explorer scouts

@snytiger6 Yeah, they could definitely jettison the religious bits and be better for it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:730443
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.