Agnostic.com

8 7

LINK Citing the Bible, a principal punished a star student over a Homecoming afterparty dance -- Friendly Atheist

Kaylee Timonet was having harmless fun with her friends. The Jesus-loving public school principal is punishing her for it.

Kaylee Timonet is a senior at Walker High School in Louisiana with a stellar résumé. She’s president of the student government, has a 4.2 grade point average, and plans to graduate early so she can begin college in January.

But this week, she was removed as student body president and told she was no longer eligible for an important scholarship… all because there was video of her dancing with her friends at a private post-Homecoming party on Saturday.

Her own mother—who was at the party—said there was “nothing inappropriate” taking place. It was just kids having harmless fun. One girl at the party was twerking and Kaylee was dancing behind her… and that’s it. Others were dancing, too, and I’d bet good money that the kids at Homecoming were dancing far more suggestively than that. Even the DJ at that private party noted, “It was genuinely kids having fun.”

The independent news site Unfiltered with Kiran, which first broke this story, spoke with Kaylee and her mother about the situation. What’s truly disturbing is how Principal Jason St. Pierre allegedly brought the Bible into the situation before punishing Kaylee.

According to [mother Rachel] Timonet, the principal told Kaylee that her actions went against the Bible, and questioned her faith. She added that the assistant principal told Kaylee that she needed to make better choices and have better friends.

The next morning, Timonet had a meeting with the principal, and she said that he mentioned he printed out Bible verses to show Kaylee Timonet.

…

“I couldn’t believe they could do something like that to a kid, a kid with a 4.2 average and Beta Club,” said the mother. “Being that the separation of church and state and that they don’t know what my faith and my beliefs are as a family and that is not for anybody to do other than my family. Also questioning her and demanding an answer if her friends follow the Lord and she’s answering, ‘I don’t know,’ she should not be questioned or spoken (to) about faith at all. It’s a public school, not a private school. He has no right to discuss any sort of religion with my child.”

I found out last night that the principal also gave Kaylee a bracelet that said “I love Jesus.” St. Pierre did not respond to my request for comment.

Kaylee’s mother was absolutely right, though. There was no reason to bring religion into the situation especially since nothing that occurred at the off-campus private party violated school policy.

Without the Bible coming into the picture, there might be a reasonable debate to be had about whether public schools should penalize students for certain off-campus decisions. Even then, the principal’s actions would appear to be overreach. But bringing religion into the picture made everything so much worse.

Honestly, you need religion to justify condemning a child for something so innocuous because there’s no rational explanation to do it otherwise. Our criminal justice system is more lenient with first-time offenders.

Last night, I had a chance to speak with Rachel Timonet, Kaylee’s mother, who told me that the deep irony in this whole story is that they’re Catholic. The principal was pushing the Bible on someone who already accepts the Bible. Rachel said however, that she always taught her kids not to proselytize because religion is a “very touchy subject.” Something that personal isn’t meant to be used as a weapon.

“If you’re trying to shame my child by saying [her actions weren’t] appropriate in the Lord’s eyes, that’s not okay with me,” she added.

Kaylee echoed those comments earlier this week:

“All I was doing was having innocent fun. I was mortified,” Kaylee said. “So when it felt like everything was thrown in the trash no matter all the things I had accomplished because of this video of me dancing, I felt like a failure. I really felt like I failed.”

Leave it to Jesus to make a great student feel like shit for daring to have some fun before she graduates.

If there’s any silver lining here, it’s that Kaylee’s friends have waged a social media campaign to show their support for her, replacing their normal profile pictures with one that says “Let the girl dance”:

Unless there’s more information we don’t know, St. Pierre owes Kaylee and her family a public apology. Or at the very least, an explanation for why he chose to shove a Bible in her face. Anyone who points to the Bible to defend Purity Culture has no business running a public school.

Rachel, the mother, told me no one from the school has reached out to her since this controversy began going viral online. She was hoping administrators would try to make amends, but so far, crickets. She has, however, heard many stories from students and parents about how this principal has pushed his religion on their families as well. That’s weighing on her mind a lot.

If a lawsuit is the only way to make him stop treating the school like his personal religious playground, she told me, she’ll absolutely consider that.

snytiger6 9 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No surprise coming from Lousleazyana. Ya already got FloriDURR and TexASS also from the Brainwashed belt. Real fuckin’ sickos that should be Tarred and feathered.

LAWSUIT!

All I can say is fucking Louisiana.

While my sister was still married, she had moved to Louisiana with her husband... she now refers to it as lousyana.

@snytiger6 that's accurate.

Could have just as easily been Bama or Fla….🤠

The principal was wrong but people need to understand that "twerking" is not going to be acceptable.

Of course it is, it's done all over the place. It's just a stupid dance move

Not by the nutters anyhow. Hell half these whackos are still in shock over Elvis the Pelvis….👀

Lawyer up!

I do hope there will be a law suit. In my opinion there should also be criminal charges against the principal and vice-principal for forcing and using their position of power to punish based on their personal religious beliefs.

Betty Level 8 Oct 8, 2023

One can only hope that this lovely chil gets enough in the lawsuit to never have to work again.....

Wonder if she's contacted FFRF? They have lawyers and lots of experience.

Someone in the New Orleans secular humanist group made them aware of it.

@JonnaBononna GLAD to hear that! One reason I send them a few dollars is so they can fight this sort of travesty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:733265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.