Agnostic.com

3 6

Just issue the indictments against Biden, Netanyahu & crew to drag them before the international court of justice.

By Julia Conley
Common Dreams

The human rights group Jewish Voice for Peace has issued an urgent call to the U.S. public, calling on Americans to pressure members of Congress to help end the ongoing airstrikes in Gaza, which have now killed at least 1,100 people and injured nearly 5,200.

The Biden administration on Tuesday pledged to deploy military assets for Israel to use in its assault on Gaza — which analysts say could involve even deadlier ground attacks in the coming days — and U.S. President Joe Biden said he would soon ask Congress “to take urgent action to fund the national security requirements of our critical partners.”

To counter that, said Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP), Americans who oppose the killing of Palestinian civilians in retaliation for Hamas’ surprise attack over the weekend must make their voices heard by Congress as well.

“The U.S. must work to immediately de-escalate to prevent the further loss of life, and not fuel and exacerbate the violence by sending more weapons to Israel,” said JVP. “There is only one way to end violence: to address its root cause, 75 years of Israeli military occupation and apartheid. We must end U.S. complicity in this systemic oppression.”

[consortiumnews.com]

FrayedBear 9 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Biden is not culpable here. His role is only to make a show of support for Israel as part of a deterrent to other actors who might want to join in the fray and create a wider regional conflict. Beyond that, I think we (the USA) should stay out of it, and try to convince our ally not to overreact. (It might already be too late for that. An overreaction is exactly what Hamas wants and needs in order for their action to be a strategic success, and it looks like Israel is going to deliver.) If you want to blame an American president, then blame Trump for giving his seal of approval to the annexation of the Golan Heights, moving the American Embassy to Jerusalem, and giving Netanyahu carte blanche to concentrate power in himself. In the immediate aftermath of the Hamas attack, while emotions were running high, Biden had to walk a fine line: show support for Israel but also caution self restraint. And he did both, moving a carrier group to the eastern Mediterranean AND cautioning Israel to abide by the rules of war. Going forward, I hope there will be a lot more pressure put on Israel to show restraint. I say this knowing that Netanyahu can and probably will ignore such pressure, instead overreacting as Hamas intends.

Israel is now like an over pampered child who behaves badly and gets into trouble for bad behavior. And then the rich parents rescue him.

They made Gaza like an open air prison. There was a separate line for Arabs like the despicable human beings everywhere - at border crossings, at government offices and everywhere else. They has a limited ocean for fishing, no imports from outside, no travel outside, no help from outside, no opportunities in Israel. What would Arabs doe for 75 years?

I understand the holocaust. But what the fuck are they doing? Did you all see how Israeli lobby lashed out young Harvard students just for voicing an opinion? Their donors are Jewish, board members are Jewish. They have America by the balls.

I think Biden had to make a big show of American support for Israel as a preventative measure, to forestall other actors escalating it into a wider regional conflict. As for supplying war material to Israel, I doubt that is actually necessary. Israel is armed to the teeth and well stocked with ammunition.

@Flyingsaucesir

Yeah, I get that. It's politics and it's too bad.

@St-Sinner I did not see reporting on the Israel lobby/Harvard student story. Can you provide a link?

What you say about Gaza being an open-air prison is entirely correct. Unfortunately, Israel painted herself into a corner by mistreating the Arab/Moslem population from the founding of the Jewish state onward. She has generated so much animosity that she has to over-invest in security. It's a totally fucked up situation.

@Flyingsaucesir

[cnn.com]

@St-Sinner The Harvard student groups are not wrong: Israel is ultimately responsible, IMO.

Driving a truck billboard around showing pictures of the students' faces is over the top. But I would encourage a student spokesperson to come forward to be interviewed. That may yet happen, when things have calmed down a little.

@Flyingsaucesir That is how things are done in this country now. If you don't agree with someone you dox them and put them under threat of retaliation. There is no such thing as freedom of speech in the US any more. I am certain the students were just exercising those things that they have learn like, saying like it you see it. Having said that, I do not think this is a time to place blame. It should be all about what happens next. I am very fearful for the fate of the innocent people living in between the Israeli military and Hamas.

@St-Sinner 4 out of five Israeli's blame Netanyahu for the attacks, which I thinks is pretty much what the students were saying. [jpost.com]

@MyTVC15
Maybe for the intelligence failures but not for the Hamas attacks. Right? Netanyahu has not been able to win a clear and large majority time and time again so we have known Israeli voters sentiment.

But what about Israeli people's thoughts about how Israel has treated Gaza for 30 years?

I'm not a Nuttiyahu fan but I only know one thing at this point. He said "if you are a member of Hamas you are a dead man." Seeing how this all came about and the terrorism going on, I agree with him. War can be a terror but terrorism is not war. It is barbaric.

Most if not all the action has taken place on land stolen by the Israelis from the Palestinians. Defense of country is not terrorism.
I don't recall you objecting to the Ukrainian fascist mercenaries invading the Donbass part of Russia nor the Ukrainians fighting to regain Ukrainian territory occupied by Russian forces.

@FrayedBear I think the point DP is trying to make is that the history of Israel does not justify the wholesale slaughter of Jewish civilians. I agree with DP; the Hamas attack was barbaric.

Ukraine did not invade it's own territory (Donbass). Your assertion is laughable; a very clumsy swipe at Ukraine; obviously a piece of Russian propaganda from a frayed Russian bear.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:733722
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.