Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Texas power grid under scrutiny with higher electricity prices : The Indicator from Planet Money : NPR

(Showing just what unregulated free markets actually do.)

(Follow article link to listen to 8 minute audio pod cast.)

In 2021, a huge winter storm hit Texas. It caused a days-long blackout that resulted in hundreds of deaths. The Texas grid operator adopted a new policy to guard against another blackout: it would incentivize plants to keep power in reserve. The problem is: that may have caused major price spikes.

Today, we make sense of the reserve policy, increased electricity prices, and the future of Texas' unique energy market.

snytiger6 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did the people of Texas actually think that Texas having its own power grid would lower their electric bills? Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

I live in Texas but very far West tip of it and we're treated like the step child to the State. Anyway our power grid is not connected to the rest of Texas, we have our own. Still it was sad that people died and people were freezing in their homes. Ted Cruz took his family and fled to Cancun, Mexico for a warm vacation while his people died and were freezing, what a great state with it's great politicians! 🤮🤮🤮🙄🙄🙄

I adopted my current dog through Petfinder, she came from a Huge shelter in Texas with over 300 dogs, several dozen horses, and assorted goats, potbellied pigs, etc.
I was in the process of applying for a second dog from there, but that winter the power outage caused their water supply to become non-existent and the threat of death by dehydration/thirst was so horrible they were forced to put everything down and use bulldozers to bury them all.
All the volunteers walked away and never returned, and I can understand that.

I recall that time and in the end Texas did nothing to fix the problem. It got so bad that they turned off power in certain areas for a while and that only made things worse. Here in Missouri our electric co-op said it could even affect us as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:738296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.