Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK Montana school district finds its electric buses can handle sub zero weather : NPR

Electric vehicles lost credibility during the cold snap, but one northern Montana school district loves them.

(Follow article link to listen to 3 minute audio news segment.)

The North Montana school districts electric school buses fared better in -40 to -60F weather than their combustion based vehicles.

snytiger6 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My ex's uncle was a high-level engineer with Sikorsky and he spent many, many hours in places like Alaska trying to get helicopters to work in the cold, 40+ years ago, so clearly this is not a new problem for Any propulsion system.

EVs are already a better option than ICE vehicles in a huge range of applications, and it's just going to get worse. IE their technology will continue to improve, but the basic ICE vehicle is as good as it's going to get. ICE vehicles will remain a niche application for decades to come, but the future belongs to EVs. School buses are a great application, because diesel fumes are TERRIBLE for children, linked to all sorts of health deficits. (And it's not like they are good for adults.)

Be nice to see a 5 year service record from combustion and electrical

EVs have far fewer moving parts, so I'd suspect that Evs would require less maintenance.

These days though it probably has to do with the quality of materials used in the parts. For a long time GM figued into their business model that they would make a lot of money from using lower quality materials and replacing parts. While Toyota used higher quality materials and their cars seem to have double the life expectancy of GM cars. My point is that maintenance depends on a lot of factors, and it can't easily be just a comparison between ICEs and EVs.

@snytiger6 so you don't think ev have as many moving parts they have fans for a/c they have all wheel drive so transmissions etc. the only thing different is the motor.....and todays motors 300,000KLM before a motor rebuild. would an electric car get 300,000KLM...i don't know i don't have one, not sure i ever will

You would think they would have done that research BEFORE they bought the buses!

BD66 Level 8 Feb 1, 2024

city od Edmonton has 25 that are sitting and nothing but trouble at cost of 15-20 million

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:745211
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.