Agnostic.com

7 1

Could the GOP get elected without the evangelical movement and the play on nationalism.

It my opinion that the use of these two elements of our society placed the republicans in power.The use of the evangelicals in the bible belt and the play on the second amendment as being the party of patriots got the GOP elected. These same appeals in the least populated states also won them votes in the west. It will be important for the DEMs to tell the second amendment people that they do not wish to remove their guns rather to seek [proper regulations and to tell them what those are.Hopefully those with some sense will see the light and change their vote. I see no hope for evangelicals.

Marine 8 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd like to say NO...but, now that they've been given a little power...I'm afraid we'll see them sucking up to swine like the treasonous groper until Democrats take back the House, etc.

Considering what is happening in European countries with Islamic refuges and other migrants, nationalism is what is desperately needed in the USA. Illegal aliens are creating chaos in Calif. I am strongly for the border security.

Well said. You sound like a conservative.

@Trajan61 He is in both of our conservative groups.

No. Aggressive nationalism, ideological zeal, and religious demagoguery are the emotional driving forces on the political right.

I've been a concealed carrier since 1995, so I'm strong on the 2nd Amendment. But as a combat veteran, I'm also against military style weapons being in the hands of civilians. There just isn't any point, or need other than to show all your friends how cool you are. Those weapons, if eliminated, would account for most of these mass shootings. I've told all my friends who think they need to stockpile their weapons to protect themselves against a "tyrannical government" that they're fooling themselves if they think any amount of weapons they may have would protect them against the government if the government wanted what they had (including their military style weapons.) Once the Military rolls in, they, like everyone else, would roll over, put their ass in the air and do whatever the Military demanded of them...or not, in which case, they would be terminated. It's foolish logic to think one needs these kinds of weapons to protect themselves from the government. What we need more of is compassion, education, empathy and mental health funding so that those with mental issues get the help they need OR they are prevented from owning and/or purchasing weapons. This goes for anyone who has a criminal record for anything "violent crime" related.

Do you really think the liberals are going to be satisfied with a so called assault weapons ban? Hell a lot of those gun grabbing liberal idiots won’t be satisfied till they’ve banned all guns!

@Trajan61 Yes, I do. Saying they wouldn't doesn't change the truth, or the facts. Do you have kids? If so AND if you are OK with assault rifles, then I hope it is YOUR child that dies next in these tragedies. Anyone that's "OK" with military weapons should sacrifice their own children to the weapon. I'm sure your kids (if you have any) want these weapons gone.

The good news is that the younger generation is going to do away with all these fucked up "old white man" rules and policies that have for so long plagued our society. They see through the hypocrisy.

@Clauddvon Your so called assault weapons are not the same as those in the army. The chances of your child being killed in a mass shooting is about the same as being struck by lightning so I’m not worried about that like you liberals are. @Lancer, @SpikeTalon

@Trajan61 then I hope it's you and yours that meet the rounds. 11 years in the army. 4 combat deployments, I know plenty well what the weapons are and aren't.

@Clauddvon
Just because young people come together to protest against the 2nd amendment doesn't mean that they are right.

Just think of all the stupid things you did as a kid. Knowing how stupid they were would you do them again as an adult?

We can't let children lead our society, they lack both intelligence and experience. This is why our leaders are older people. These "old white man" rules are what abolished slavery, created jobs, gave education to the poor, built engineering marvels, explored the world. Since when did the race that helped propell societies forward with technology become the worst race in the world?

Sure they made mistakes and many millions died. But to call all old white men monsters, that's just stupid.

Just look at the UK. Their government is protecting child rapists, extremist terrorists, orchestrating the right wing responses, silencing journalists and terrorising the law abiding citizens. Is this what you want?

America is fine the way it is. If you want to make it safer then bring back the nuclear family, keep your kids in school, teach them to have a good work ethic, make them enjoy being part of a community. There are so many small things that Americans could do as individuals, not as a government, to fix this problem of mass shootings. And taking away guns will not result in less lives lost. Only more defenceless victims. @Trajan61

@Lancer just the kind of drivel I would expect to hear from a Fox News listening right winger.

The times, they are a changing.

Change occurred in the past DESPITE old white men and their obstructionism. Civil uprisings are what have always brought the change. I'm constantly baffled by the stupidity and blindness of the right.

@Clauddvon
You can call it what you will. But do not doubt the reality. Trumps election is the sign of change from the liberal agenda to a more responsible approach of government.

It's happening all over. The liberals can't imprison all their political enemies. You think that your kind is the better side? The left has committed just as many atrocities and is responsible for just as many deaths as you claim the right is.

Also civil uprisings are happening in France, Britain, Australia, America, etc. It's called looting and rioting. Burning down universities isn't exactly a good look for the left. Everyone is starting to open their eyes, they see the left for what it is. A bunch of extremists running around burning down society and trying to install communism so they don't have to pay for any of the things they want.

Is it truly blindness to want to defend oneself from criminals, to work hard for ones family, to stand up to tyrannical governments? No, it is the strength of the human race that we are a part of, we build it up. Your kind just wants to destroy it.

@Trajan61

@Lancer I thought I blocked your dumb ass? I see you live in the UK....must be nice to talk about shit you know nothing about. Try living here. Must be nice to live in a country that's not had a mass shooting since 1996.

It would be for anyone to get elected without the evangelical vote. They are many. They have a voice and an audience.

I think the Dems have been saying they don't want to remove all guns.

Anything can happen at any given time for any reason.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74950
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.