Agnostic.com

15 12

The most infuriating things dog owners do that drive people crazy.

Six dogs rushed toward me in a pack, barking loudly and growling. I was snowshoeing on Devils Spur Trail just below Mission Ridge Ski Area. Dogs were required to on a leash.

"Call your dogs! I yelled frantically. "Control your dogs! They are required to be on a leash!"

The dog owners did nothing to control their dogs. “"They're friendly!" two women called far below at the trail head.

Two of the dogs jumped up on me, knocking me sideways in the deep snow trench, injuring a ligament in my knee. My face was on the level of the bared teeth of two snarling German Shepherds. It was terrifying. I managed to push myself up and get away. I was too shaken to write down the women's car license plates.

My injured knee ligament took six months to heal.

The US Forest Service rule on hiking with dogs is too weak and ineffective: “Dogs must be on a leash or under firm voice control.” It gives people permission to let their dogs off leash. And they do.

Over four years I have been attacked and injured by eight unleashed dogs while hiking and snowshoeing.

“He never did that before,” a man lamely said when his dog lunged at me, snarling viciously.

A small dog sank its teeth into my ankle on a trail in Confluence State Park, where dogs were required to be on a leash. The dog owners said nothing. They snatched up their dog and scurried away. None of the dog owners apologized.

Now when a barking, snarling dog runs toward me, I hold my hiking poles vertical with the points near my feet. I whisk the poles quickly back-and-forth crossing at my ankles. Dogs back off. Good.

"Stop waving your poles!" a woman yelled. "You will poke his eyes out!"

"That's the point!" I called back. "Dogs are required to be on a leash! Grab his collar!"

She didn't do anything. I went from loving dogs to feeling terrified of dogs.

Growing up, our 95-lb. Labrador Retriever Lady won two Michigan State dog obedience championships. Two trophies. My mother trained Lady. I feel appalled when people don't train their dogs to behave.

I dumped three men because of their obnoxious, out-of-control dogs. "She's just saying Hi," one man said when his dog jumped up on me, gouging long bloody scratches in my bare legs. "DOWN, dammit!" I exclaimed. He didn't control his dog so I left.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its the owners! As a unbitten mail carrier emeritus, I sympathize. The dogs on my route obeyed me & ignored their owners. It's the owners.

On my morning walk today, crack of dawn sorta thing, a minivan pulled over to me and stopped. The driver let me know that a pit bull had gotten loose in the neighborhood and attacked a woman last night. He mentioned that the police had been aware and patrolling. Keep your eyes open where ever you live.

Consider a small can of dog-repellent spray. It won''t injure the dog, but will make it hurt- a lot. The owner will be pissed, but you can be sure they will reconsider leash usage. The dog may calm down as well.

Dogs used to run after me when I rode my now-sold motorcycle. At first, I'd swerve away from them, which I determined put me at risk for a bunch of bad outcomes. Then I figured out that changing course and riding directly at them worked wonders. The bike plus me weighed almost 900 pounds. The dogs always backed off.

A dog mimics it owner, if the owner is anti-social so is the dog, but the dog does not know how to hide it.

A had a dog track me and the owner would order it to bite me. It bit the tire on my bike.

I am so sorry to hear how many times you've been injured by loose dogs. I am a dog lover, however, I keep control of my dog and she is never off leash when we are out walking.

I take a small spray bottle of half water, half ammonia that hooks on my belt loop. I've used it a few times when I have had a loose dog come after me and my dog. It stops them cold. The vet told me it won't hurt them, only discourage their bad behavior.

As another person mentioned, it may be a good idea to find something to spray at loose animals. 😉

Lemon water works as well.

I don't know if they make an essence of skunk spray in an aerosol can, but if they do I would buy a case of it and take it with you, it wouldn't hurt the dog/dogs but they would stink really bad and the own will have all kinds of fun trying to wash it off. And if the dog owner get rude with you spray them too.

@MrDragon

I don't want to smell of skunk. Wind blows it.

"Dogs bark," the dog owner said when I complained. He was my next-door neighbor. I filled a spray bottle with vinegar and sprayed it at the barking dog. Then the owner had to give it a bath to get it off. He called the police.

City of Wenatchee has leash rules and public nuisance barking dogs. The owner called the police. "Stop spraying it with vinegar," the policeman told me. That's why I moved.

@LiterateHiker okay

@LiterateHiker in your original post you said nothing about your neighbors dogs, you whole post was about your incounters with dogs on hiking trails, So please excuse my confusion.

@MrDragon

As a published author, I often edit my posts. Sorry for the confusion. Read the article. I provided the link.

"The most infuriating things dog owners do that drive people crazy" covers many situations. It boils down to dog owner's disrespect and selfishness.

@LiterateHiker I did; however, I was more concerned about your problem. Sorry about that. It won't happen again.

@MrDragon

Thank you.

Dogs (and most other animals) live in a very different world than we do.

I've read that dogs have only two types of cone cells in their eyes and can only perceive blue and yellow, not red. I've heard that called 'dichromatic vision' for what its worth.
And dogs likely see the world on a different time scale than we do. Is your dog uninterested in the TV? Is it because the screen refresh rate is confusing and disjointed to them -- probably.

We by nature anthropomorphize -- we think everyone is the same as us. When you see that bird hiding in a bush, it's cowering in fear of its life.

People think dogs understand -- they don't. It's a testament to their social skills that they tolerate us at all. People MUST NOT expect their animals to behave like other people -- that's not the way they perceive their world.

If we want our dogs to act the way we want, its up to us to make it happen. We cannot assume that our pets (slaves) will live up to our expectations.

I had a dog once that about had a heart attack when "nature" footage of a moose in heat was being shown.....crazed barking and almost falloff the bed...I was laughing So hard...
So that dog at least could see the TV, and in fact there is a subscription channel for dogs home alone all day that shows running bunnies, squirrels, cats, other dogs etc. to entertain a lonesome dog...the programming seems to be about an hour of exciting footage and the following hour quiet footage.

The whole dog thing is over the top. I am done with it. The owners sense of entitlement is ridiculous. I moved in to a no pet community 22 years ago that is now overrun with emotional support animals. In 140 units, there must be at least 35-40 dogs. Carrying a gun to address this is a bit too much, other accidents could happen, but I understand the frustration that makes the idea sound reasonable at first.

@Switchcraft

Twelve years ago, I moved to an apartment complex with a firm "no pets" rule. I have beautiful views of the Cascade mountains foothills from every window.

Now I have to put up with two small yapping dogs.

"Pets are not allowed," I told two young women. "The apartment manager said we could have two dogs, they replied." The manager has a small, barking dog that he brings with him.

@LiterateHiker support animals are still "supposed" to meet certain non-annoyance behavior requirements and should be removed if there are reports of such. But that will take the property managers support unless you can go around him to the property owner, or HUD.

I also live in a pet free condominium community, yet people have their emotional support animals and our homeowners association refuses to require the pet owners to show proof that they are indeed required for their emotional health. (Privacy issue)

Of course, they are not vicious but they yip and scratch at the door, and might be leaving dander behind for the next renters who could be allergic, and we have no place on the property for doing the doo doo.

@Julie808 you may want to try HUD(Housing and Urban Development) All regulations and allowances related to the handicapped fall under them. I was told this falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act. When I was a board member 10 years ago, our association's legal firm told a fellow board member "give it 5 years and there will be nothing you can do about it" which sounds about right.

[hud.gov]

@Julie808, @LiterateHiker

[hud.gov]

@Switchcraft I think that lawfirm was correct - nothing we can do about people taking advantage of the ADA allowances in a dishonest way. We used to allow "service" animals, but now we allow "support" animals, which is fine if they are truly prescribed to the patient, but we can't ask for proof of that prescription because of privacy concerns. We just have to let it go. There are several nearby properties that do allow pets, free and clear, so I wish they would just move there. Even the fanciest hotel on the island allows pets, service, support or other, since there's nothing they can do to keep the animals out of the resort, restaurants, pool area, etc.

I was on my association's board of directors for 10+ years, long long time ago. I'm happy to stay out all those headaches for a while more. I voice my concerns when appropriate, but mostly just stay quiet about questionable things.

Carry a gun, and use it if you have too. But, practice shooting it and taking care of it. Sounds like you need one if that's the kind of crap you have to put up with.

@MrDragon

I will never buy a gun.

@LiterateHiker okay

IMO incredibly poor advice, unless you would enjoy being on Judy Judy (or today's equivalent ) and held up to scorn and ridicule for the rest of your life as well.

In farming communities with very lax, if any, any leash laws, you can indeed shoot a dog on your property (only on Your property) If it is attacking your animals at the time.

@annewimsey500 How is telling someone to purchase a gun and learning the proper way to handle and care for it poor advice? And who is Judy Judy?? And if I am to be scorned and ridiculed, then bring it on; that is nothing new to me; Christians have been doing that shit to me for years.

Just give them a little taste of your bear spray😉

The whole dog issue makes me wish I owned a gun and could actually shoot what I was aiming at. I have had dogs chase me while on my bicycle. A a guy I knew did carry a hand gun, he had been attacked by a large dog while riding.
I really do not like dog owners that do not leash their dogs pr pick up after them.

When we would catch a ferry in the large terminal we would often go for a walk along a boardwalk by the beach. I hated that as whenever, my partner saw an unleashed dog she would go after the owner. No one ever went after her and some even put their dog on it's leash (they all carry one in case a ranger comes along). She even thanked those who had their dogs on leashes and often got into conversations how the unleashed dogs hurt the reputation of responsible owners. It's almost like you are criticizing these people's children.

I don't know what's worse,the untrained dogs,or the clueless owners.

Add them together and you have a disaster (or a tRump supporter).

I was attacked by a Chihuahua when I was out for a walk and 6 months pregnant. The little bastard bruised and sank its teeth into my ankle as I walked past its house. The dog owner never apologized, but I reported her to the SPCA. Most dog owners are responsible, and I count myself among them. However, some people are really nasty, and their dogs are, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:749832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.