Agnostic.com

5 5

Saint why?

Why is anyone here observing this saint? We don't need a holiday to imbibe. We don't hate the Irish anymore. We have moved on. We don't observe the concept of saints. We like snakes in their appropriate habitat. Snakes don't infest. Humans do. Cultural tradition? Funny jokes? Help me understand.

Mooolah 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm half Irish, so on March 17th, I do try to wear something green when I go out, as a nod to my heritage. That's as far as it goes for me nowadays.

Not a lot different than wearing red on February 14th, despite me not caring about Saint Valentine, and maybe a santa hat, despite me not caring about Saint Nicholas. I wear flowers in my hair and aloha wear on Aloha Fridays, because it's a cultural thing to do. Friday being named after Freya a goddess of yore.

We've got lots of crazy dates to honor in a fun or meaningful way. Easter, named after a goddess and appropriated by the Christian church. Coloring eggs, planting flowers, etc., are ways of showing a rebirth or new beginnings. No religion necessary.

Coming up is April Fool's Day, we used to always try to play tricks on loved ones affectionately. This year I'll be performing a wedding for a couple who've been together for 25 years, and I sure hope they play Elvis' "Cant help Falling in Love" from Blue Hawaii, with the line "Wise men say 'Only fools rush in' but I can't help falling in love with you..." since it was filmed here on Kaua'i.

It's just fun to celebrate holidays or mark certain events and follow along with cultural traditions.

I just celebrate for the booze and food. 🤣🤣

As you should, no BS about that.

Any excuse to eat a favorite food is a good one! I don’t celebrate any holidays other than the food traditions. St Paddy’s Day is a fairly new tradition: corned beef and cabbage. Only found out how good it is around 20 years ago! Ham for Easter, pork and sauerkraut for New years, turkey at Thanksgiving, prime rib for Christmas, hamburgers on July 4th.

So much carrion.

That's what humans do:we invent stuff for instant gratification, make it a tradition to make us feel less selfish, then continue to warp it in to something more instantly gratuitous.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tradition, covers and excuses a multitude of sins and stupidities

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:750237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.