Agnostic.com

5 22

Julia's prom dress that I'm altering.

Julia, the girl I'm mentoring, surprised me with this senior prom dress she chose. I thought she would choose a demure dress as a shy, modest, Catholic girl who has never dated. Her parents are Mexican immigrants who protect their girls.

"VA-VA-VOOM!" I exclaimed when she tried it on for me. "Wow! You look wonderful!"

With sewing skills, I am shortening the straps and hemming the dress for her.

As Julia wrote in her personal essay:

"I got a job at Sweetwood BBQ and joined a gym in February 2023. My cousin is a personal weight trainer. He taught me to lift weights and create a workout plan. Six days a week I lift weights and get aerobic exercise.

"As a result, I lost over 30 pounds and increased muscle. I became more happy, confident and secure. Making friends, connecting with people, and talking with customers became easier. "You are glowing!" people say. I grew from a shy, hesitant girl into the kind, determined young woman I want to become."

"Once established in my nursing career, I hope to volunteer for Doctors Without Borders and work as a nurse at a rural, impoverished Native American reservation."

Normally she's swimming in too-big clothes. "I'm going to the prom with friends," Julia said.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The spunk Julia is showing is going to get her a long way. Nursing is difficult (I just retired from hospital pharmacy after 40+ years and got to know a lot of nurses) and MSF is even harder-they see some of the worst you can imagine. With the drive you're showing you're going to go a long way. You can do it. Good Luck.

@EricJones

What does MFS stand for in the medical world?

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders?

In my world, it stand for Master of Fine Arts degree.

@LiterateHiker doctors without borders. Médecins Sans Frontières is the actual name. Was founded in Paris thus the french name. Now headquartered in Geneva. I listen to a lot of international radio and everybody uses MSF so I'm just used to using it.

@EricJones

Thank you.

It's amazing how taking control of our health and fitness can lead to such profound changes in confidence and self-esteem. I remember a similar experience when I decided to prioritize my well-being and started hitting the gym regularly. It wasn't just about physical changes; it was about feeling empowered and embracing a new level of self-assurance. And hey, speaking of transformations, if Julia ever needs a wardrobe upgrade for her newfound confidence, she might want to check out aaa replicas. They've got some stunning pieces that could complement her newfound glow perfectly.

It's a beautiful dress, which I am quite sure you will make even more gorgeous for Julia. She sounds like a lovely young woman.

When you have some support and encouragement, wonderful things can happen. 🙂

Beautiful dress. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 24, 2024

Nice work, as always.

@Paddypereira

I still have the hem and skinny straps to do.

@LiterateHiker, looks great though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:751109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.