Agnostic.com

7 7

LINK Despite pastor's opposition, Georgia man gets OK to open liquor shop near churches -- Friendly Atheist

Steve Duke applied for a liquor license before two churches opened up near him, blocking his store from opening

In August of 2022, Steve Duke got what he wanted from the city of Thomaston, Georgia: approval for a local liquor license so that he could open up his own store, which he called Duke's Wine and Spirits. With that document in hand, he had a green light to move forward.

But in April of 2023, before the store was ready to open, a church opened up down the street.

And then months later, another church opened nearby.

None of that would be a problem… except that Georgia has a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol “within 100 yards of any church building.”

(Follow above article link to view photos/PDFs/video that accompany this article.)

Wouldn’t you know it: Both of those churches were within 100 yards of the store. It raised some obvious questions: Did the churches launch in those areas in order to thwart Duke from opening a liquor store? Or was it just a giant coincidence… twice?

Duke himself responded to that theory on Facebook earlier this month:

… Are there unusual circumstances that appear to be outside of what one would consider coincidental? Absolutely there have been. But there is no proof. I have no desire to see anyone harassed or intimidated at either of these churches.

The guy running the second church that opened up appeared to play coy with a local news reporter:

Faith Tabernacle Ministries Pastor Kevin Hobbs helps lead his congregation of about 25 parishioners. They worship every Sunday and Thursday across from Duke's business.

Hobbs explained that what happens next is a separation of church and state.

"I take a stand against alcohol because that's what my faith is - but this ain't up to me," said Hobbs. 

It was up to him, though, when he was looking for a place to open his church. It’s not like Duke’s store was a secret. Nor did Hobbs seem to care that Steve Duke is also a self-described “person of faith”—he’s an unabashed Christian—or that no one is forcing people in the community to buy anything they don’t want.

What’s not in dispute is who got there first. Duke did. The city of Thomaston approved the local liquor license well before the churches got there, so no one did anything wrong on their end. But the opening of the store was contingent upon the state’s Department of Revenue approving that liquor license.

When officials there got the paperwork, they rejected the license because of the store’s proximity to those churches. According to the local Upson Beacon, state officials did that despite advocacy on Duke’s behalf from “City Manager Russell Thompson, Mayor J.D. Stallings, County Commission Chairman Norman Allen, Georgia Rep. Beth Camp, and Georgia Sen. John Kennedy.”

Which is why it’s worth going back to what Hobbs said, about how “this ain’t up to me.”

Actually, it was partially up to him.

According to a video Hobbs posted on Facebook about two weeks ago, he explained that Duke and city officials asked him to sign a paper that effectively said the church wouldn’t mind if the liquor store opened up nearby. Maybe that would have persuaded state officials to give Duke the approval he needed.

“I couldn’t do it,” Hobbs said. “I responded, ‘I cannot sign the letter’… We cannot condone alcohol… We don’t condone the consumption of alcohol, as the Bible tells us.” Hobbs went on to say that drinking alcohol destroys homes, communities, and one’s work ethic, before talking about the dangers of drunk driving.

All of those are legitimate concerns if we’re talking about excessive or underage drinking, but having a glass of wine with dinner or drinking a beer while watching a game? It’s hardly something to get worked up about.

At no point in the video did Hobbs acknowledge that other people have a right to make their own decisions or that he was quite literally standing in the way of that.

The rejection from the state eventually led to a small protest in defense of Duke’s right to open his store—and some of those protesting made it clear that they, too, were Christians:

"I'm a Christian. I've been in church my whole life, and I understand where they're coming from. But this is wrong," said resident Stacey Deloatch.

Duke's longtime friend Jaye Eubanks also expressed his support, saying opening a business is not a sin.

"It isn't fair. It's bureaucracy, and it's red tape," he said. "Steve has done absolutely everything right and by the book."

Another citizen, Sheri Eubanks (it’s unclear if she’s related to Jaye), also wrote a strong defense of Duke in the Upson Beacon:

Speaking of Heaven, why aren’t these churches willing to assist by simply providing a letter stating that they have no opposition to him opening to the Department of Revenue? It’s my understanding that’s all it would take to get their license issued.

Both churches knew he was renovating his building well before either of them showed up. There’s a huge sign in front of the building that’s been there since the renovation started, stating as such!

It makes me suspicious of what their motivation is or frankly who may be behind it. Whatever the motivation, it certainly isn’t very Christ like.

…

It’d be nice if someone from one of these many local churches they’ve supported over the years would have the courage to speak up on their behalf. Especially a pastor! Do the right thing, for goodness’ sake! You’ll take their time and money, but won’t speak on behalf of their character? No one is asking you to speak up in support of alcohol, but as a Christian, aren’t you called to speak out on behalf of what is right? Step up!

There was even a freakin’ billboard:

Here’s the good news: After 11Alive reporters Kaitlyn Ross, Jon Samuels, and Gabriella Nunez asked the Department of Revenue for comment on why they denied Duke his liquor license (even though he was there first and did everything by the book), the state decided to reverse its own decision.

Duke was thrilled.

"I really believe that you, 11Alive, coming down and doing the story, giving this the attention we think it needed was important. I don't think it's a coincidence that we got a decision the day before the 11Alive story was supposed to run," said [Duke]. 

No miracle needed. Just good reporting.

Duke says he plans to open the store as soon as he receives the official license from the state. He also thanked his supporters over the weekend:

Hobbs did not respond to a request for comment about his thoughts now that the state has given Duke the okay he needed despite the church’s opposition.

snytiger6 9 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ll drink to that!!!🥃 🤠🥃

If the law states that a liquor store can not open within a hundred yards of a church then, should not the opposite be enforced as well? Why were churches allowed to open within a hundred yards of a liquor store?
Religion and Government policies seem so illogical.

Betty Level 8 May 1, 2024

The constitutional guarantee of "freedom of religion" protects churches. However there is no such protections for liquor stors.

@snytiger6 Freedom of religion is guaranteed but the Constitution did not create the law where distance is applied.
If one hundred yards is the mandate of the law, shouldn't churches also be required to obey the law? Otherwise, churches could pop up anywhere there is a liquor store and have them shut down. Or, are you telling me that religious organizations are above the law?

He could always start a gofundme, and give the wine away for free!?! 🤠

In some parts of the world both churches could be sued for restraint of trade. (But not in the United $tates of Absurdity, it seems.)

They do know about all the wine drinking in their Bible, don't they? Good enuff for Jesus, good enuff for me.

Stupid laws like this should be illegal anyway. How about a law saying no churches within a 100 yards of a school? So no pedophile religious nutjobs can prey on children. That law actually makes more sense...

I'd want it to be more like no churches within at least half a mile away from schools.

My ex wife was from Ga. Many of the counties there are “dry”!! 🤠

Kids know that people drink. I suppose the fear on this is that a 4th grader will be buying booze in the liquor store. There is also the fear that a stumbling drunk will be there trying to pick up kids for sexual reasons.

I think it has more to do with Southern religions which are against drinking of any kind. Of course their members do drink, but they pretend otherwise.

I once lived in Cleveland County NC. It was quite acceptable there to have Jack Daniel’s in your hand while you had Billy Graham in the tape deck driving down the road!!! 😇

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:754490
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.