Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Kristi Noem defends dog slaying as ‘responsible’ -- Politico

The story of Noem shooting and killing her 14-month-old puppy has taken a toll on the potential VP pick’s public image.

By Kelly Garrity

04/28/2024 03:07 PM EDT

Updated: 04/28/2024 03:28 PM EDT

Amid waves of backlash from both sides of the aisle, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem on Sunday defended her decision to shoot and kill her 14-month-old puppy named Cricket years ago.

“I can understand why some people are upset about a 20 year old story of Cricket, one of the working dogs at our ranch, in my upcoming book — No Going Back,” Noem wrote on TruthSocial.

“The fact is, South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down. Given that Cricket had shown aggressive behavior toward people by biting them, I decided what I did,” she added.

Noem, until recently widely viewed as a top contender to share the Republican ticket with former President Donald Trump, laid out the decision to kill the pup in her forthcoming memoir “No Going Back,” in a startling anecdote first picked up on by The Guardian. The book is set to be released May 7; publicity for it says “this book is packed with surprising stories and practical lessons.”

In the book, Noem says she tried to focus the wirehaired pointer’s “aggressive personality” into hunting. But things didn’t go as planned — Cricket went “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life,” and later attacked a neighbor’s chickens. So Noem led the dog to a gravel pit and shot it.

After the story stirred a firestorm on social media and questions about her viability as VP pick, Noem tried to paint the story as one of the necessary — albeit darker — sides of farm life.

“Whether running the ranch or in politics, I have never passed on my responsibilities to anyone else to handle. Even if it’s hard and painful. I followed the law and was being a responsible parent, dog owner, and neighbor,” Noem said in the social media statement Sunday.

“As I explained in the book, it wasn’t easy. But often the easy way isn’t the right way.”

snytiger6 9 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every Republican owned dog

She keeps expanding on other animals she's also "had" to shoot. I grew up in the country and I don't remember that kind of gratuitous killing (hunting aside), and certainly not with the pride she's exhibiting. Mentally stable people don't take that kind of pleasure in it even when it's necessary.

She's just a horrible person and she should be the one led to a gravel pit and shot for killing that poor puppy.

Standard zero-empathy, zero-humanity, 100% corrupt entitled privileged white Christian fascist.

I think "the right way" may have been proper training of the dog instead of just shooting it for convenience.

Or...finding a suitable home for the dog.

Nah, those things would require empathy and compassion, qualities that are lacking in about all Repubs..

@TomMcGiverin I wouldn't say "all". However, it does certainly seem so for the most vocal of them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:754492
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.