Agnostic.com

2 10

LINK Letters From An American 05/01/2024

By HEATHER COX RICHARDSON

MAY 02, 2024

Today, Florida’s ban on abortions after six weeks—earlier than most women know they’re pregnant—went into effect. The Florida legislature passed the law and Florida governor Ron DeSantis signed it a little more than a year ago, on April 13, 2023, but the new law was on hold while the Florida Supreme Court reviewed it. On April 1 the court permitted the law to go into operation today.

The new Florida law is possible because two years ago, on June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court overturned the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that recognized the constitutional right to abortion. In Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, the modern court decided that the right to determine abortion rights must be returned “to the people’s elected representatives” at the state level.

Immediately, Republican-dominated states began to restrict abortion rights. Now, one out of three American women of childbearing age lives in one of the more than 20 states with abortion bans. This means, as Cecile Richards, former president of Planned Parenthood, put it in The Daily Beast today, “child rape victims forced to give birth, miscarrying patients turned away from emergency rooms and told to return when they’re in sepsis.” It means recognizing that the state has claimed the right to make a person’s most personal health decisions.

Until today, Florida’s law was less stringent than that of other southern states, making it a destination for women of other states to obtain the abortions they could not get at home. In the Washington Post today, Caroline Kitchener noted that in the past, more than 80,000 women a year obtained abortions in Florida. Now, receiving that reproductive care will mean a trip to Virginia, Illinois, or North Carolina, where the procedure is still legal, putting it out of reach for many women.

This November, voters in Florida will weigh in on a proposed amendment to the Florida constitution to establish the right to abortion. The proposed amendment reads: “No law shall prohibit, penalize, delay, or restrict abortion before viability or when necessary to protect the patient’s health, as determined by the patient’s healthcare provider.” Even if the amendment receives the 60% support it will need to be added to the constitution, it will come too late for tens of thousands of women.

It is not unrelated that this week Texas attorney general Ken Paxton, along with other Republican attorneys general, has twice sued the Biden administration, challenging its authority to impose policy on states. One lawsuit objects to the government’s civil rights protections for sexual orientation and gender identity. The other lawsuit seeks to stop a federal rule that closes a loophole that, according to Texas Tribune reporter Alejandro Serrano, lets people sell guns online or at gun shows without conducting background checks.

In both cases, according to law professor and legal analyst Steve Vladeck, Paxton has filed the suit in the Amarillo Division of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, where it will be assigned to Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, the Trump appointee who suspended the use of mifepristone, an abortion-inducing drug, in order to stop abortions nationally.

Last month the Judicial Conference, which oversees the federal judiciary, tried to end this practice of judge-shopping by calling for cases to be randomly assigned to any judge in a district; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas says it will not comply.

And so the cases go to Kacsmaryk, who will almost certainly agree with the Republican states’ position.

Republicans are engaged in the process of dismantling the federal government, working to get rid of its regulation of business, basic social welfare laws and the taxes needed to pay for such measures, the promotion of infrastructure, and the protection of civil rights. To do so, they have increasingly argued that the states, rather than the federal government, are the centerpiece of our democratic system.

That democracy belonged to the states was the argument of the southern Democrats before the Civil War, who insisted that the federal government could not legitimately intervene in state affairs out of their concern that the overwhelming popular majority in the North would demand an end to human enslavement. Challenged to defend their enslavement of their neighbors in a country that boasted “all men are created equal,” southern enslavers argued that enslavement was secondary to the fact that voters had chosen to impose it.

At the same time, though, state lawmakers limited the vote in their state, so the popular vote did not reflect the will of the majority. It reflected the interests of those few who could vote. In 1857, enslaver George Fitzhugh of Virginia explained that there were 18,000 people in his county and only 1,200 could vote. “But we twelve hundred…never asked and never intend to ask the consent of the sixteen thousand eight hundred whom we govern.” State legislatures, dominated by such men, wrote laws reinforcing the power of a few wealthy, white men.

Crucially, white southerners insisted that the federal government must use its power not to enforce the will of the majority, but rather to protect their state systems. In 1850, with the Fugitive Slave Act, they demanded that federal officials, including those in free states, return to the South anyone a white enslaver claimed was his property. Black Americans could not testify in their own defense, and anyone helping a “runaway” could be imprisoned for six months and fined $1,000, which was about three years’ income. A decade later, enslavers insisted that it was “the duty of the Federal Government, in all its departments, to protect…[slavery]…in the Territories, and wherever else its constitutional authority extends.”

After the Civil War, Republicans in charge of the federal government set out to end discriminatory state legislation by adding to the Constitution the Fourteenth Amendment, establishing that states could not deny to any person the equal protection of the laws and giving Congress the power to enforce that amendment. That, together with the Fifteenth Amendment providing that “[t]he right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude,” Republicans thought, would stop state legislatures from passing discriminatory legislation.

But in 1875, just five years after Americans added the Fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution, the Supreme Court decided that states could keep certain people from voting so long as that discrimination wasn’t based on race. This barred women from the polls and flung the door open for voter suppression measures that would undermine minority voting for almost a century. Jim and Juan Crow laws, as well as abortion bans, went onto the books.

In the 1950s the Supreme Court began to use the Fourteenth Amendment to end those discriminatory state laws—in 1954 with the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, decision that prohibited racial segregation in public schools, for example, and in 1973 with Roe v. Wade. Opponents complained bitterly about what they called “judicial activism,” insisting that unelected judges were undermining the will of the voters in the states.

Beginning in the 1980s, as Republicans packed the courts with so-called originalists who weakened federal power in favor of state power, Republican-dominated state governments carefully chose their voters and then imposed their own values on everyone.

Just a decade ago, reproductive rights scholar Elizabeth Dias told Jess Bidgood of the New York Times, a six-week abortion ban was seen even by many antiabortion activists as too radical, but after Trump appointed first Neil Gorsuch and then Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, the balance of power shifted enough to make such a ban obtainable. Power over abortion rights went back to the states, where Republicans could restrict them.

Trump has said he would leave the issue of abortion to the states, even if states begin to monitor women’s pregnancies to keep them from obtaining abortions or to prosecute them if they have one.

Vice President Kamala Harris was in Jacksonville, Florida, today to talk about reproductive rights. She put the fight over abortion in the larger context of the discriminatory state laws that have, historically, constructed a world in which some people have more rights than others. “This is a fight for freedom,” she said, “the fundamental freedom to make decisions about one’s own body and not have their government tell them what they’re supposed to do.”

HippieChick58 9 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For a party that touts smaller government the republicans sure do like government control, especially over things that are none of it's damn business. At the same time though the republicans do not want government safe guards over corporations polluting and pillaging natural resources, it's go ahead on, take all you want and dump the waste in the poorest neighborhoods, preferably the ones where people of color live.
It's also important to remember the past 'republican's' ideology is more in line with todays democrats.

So you know I am back (for the 3rd time, arg). Of course the 'freedom party is not about freedom for the masses but the select few with money. In the days of extreme climate change, pandemics and species loss the Republican party has lost all standing. Their only hope of survival is through corruption and ass kissing for the rich and powerful.

SIGH...only a few decades ago, SCOTUS was ''the good guys." Now...I'm reminded of being in a little bar in Chile about 30 years ago, drinking pisco and arguing with a Chilean man who claimed that OF COURSE their government was correct in tracking pregnant women who left the country and returned no longer pregnant. They were immediately thrown into prison. Interestingly, Chile now has much more liberal laws and here WE are!

I have come up with a better word than SCOTUS and it is SCROTUS (supreme court republicans of the US). At least this separates the conservative/religious wackos from the saner (all women) from the court.
A son-in-law in med school once told us while he was doing internship in El Paso that we wouldn't believe the number of pregnant women who would sneak over the border to have their kids in the US. This gave them a 'special' privileged to helping them eventually gain citizenship - so they thought.

Hi pamagain. It's me jack, for the third %^#* time. I got caught up in the last time the site went offline and had to start over again. You thinking of attending the FFRF conference in Denver this Fall?

@pedigojr I wondered where you've been! I'd like to go to the conference but it's a conflict with the Zoo Wellness Studies conference (that's a politically correct way to say Behavioral Research) here in L.A. And I'll be presenting a paper. You'll tell me all about it, right?

@pamagain I will if I go. Still not decided. It would be nice if I could go with someone and not alone.

@pedigojr I know--it was fun to meet you in SF. BUT....you'll make new friends if you get there. My friend Samer still talks about seeing Salman Rushdie.

@pamagain I still remember his speech and how many talked about how funny he was. My problem it's hard to make new friends when one lives on an island. One couple I did meet in Madison live in an odd place known as Point Roberts. It's a pene enclave [en.wikipedia.org] I see them at every convention and have visited them in their home (an interesting situation where one has to go through the Canadian border, drive a while and then return through a separate US border.

@pedigojr Well, you taught me something with that descriptive...at least you'll know someone in Denver...if you go.

@pamagain I believe in constant learning and discovering this was something new and something I got to experience. When I met the couple I was talking to the woman at the diner event. She asked where I was living and I mentioned the San Juan Islands. She then said they look down on us and then started mumbling and became incoherent. Her husband then said to call 911 as she was having a minor stroke (she was on a med but forgot to take it). Later, in the newsletter it was said she was fine after taking her med and then I asked for them to contact me, which they did. We visited them and the husband was a retired Canadian Airline pilot and had a large house on a bluff looking south (to our island archipelago - they did look down on us). This couple was also a huge fan of Burning Man and went every year. Most of the residences had duel citizenship's.

@pedigojr That must've been scary! A very dramatic way to meet one another, right?

@pamagain It was for many but the newsletter reassured everyone this was common with her. It didn't seem to slow her down. They're an interesting couple. He's tall and bald and she's shorter and a bit heavier. She often has purple hair. She seems the more fun of the two but his humor is different. When we visited he asked if we wanted to ride his sofa. It was a long sofa with a tiller in the middle and a fireplace structure hiding the motor. We rode it around the neighborhood. He than said we probably were wondering what this was about (we were) and he said they are big burning man fans and they take this sofa in their huge RV to the event and offer rides to others. It had lights so they could give rides even at night.

@pedigojr That's amazing--on more than one level!!

@pamagain It was funny at the time but we learned a lot from this couple. Of course during the pandemic the event was not held and last year the area was flooded out.

@pedigojr Did they make it through?

@pamagain They did go but didn't stay when the flood hit. Everything was under water. Very recently, Kenya has been hit with massive floods and a lot of people died and many thousands lost their homes. How did you fare during the recent big rains there?

@pedigojr We're ok in this neighborhood...in fact I don't know anyone who had more than a leaky roof. My Kenyan ''family'' is over the moon because their farm received enough rain to ensure a good harvest. I'm concerned about those tribal people in Kenya and Tanzania....the Samburu, and Masai, for example, who live in ''the bush.'' And their animals.

The cynical side of me is delighted to see how many disbelievers are beginning to see the inevitability of climate change.

@pamagain Unfortunately, look what it takes to get people on board. My daughter, who you know (lives in Brea), just told me her husband supports tRump. This relationship is not good but, as her father, I can't get involved (to a point).

@pedigojr Oh, Jack! Soooo many things could be said here...but....

@pamagain I know and it is a problem for me. However, I'm not without some power in that she is, up to now, my executor. I did tell her I was thinking of going over to a commercial executor and she seemed hurt. She said she is willing to do the work (she has real estate experience as well as contract reading). Long story but a very independent and strong woman has been turned into an escapist due to her mother leaving me and marrying a drunken soldier (literally). They had another daughter right away and my daughter was the child not wanted so she endured a lot. She once told me she lived the Cinderella life and is still waiting for prince charming. She needs help in overcoming her enabling tendencies and I offered to pay but she's too proud to accept any money from me. Still we talk and she listens.

@pedigojr OUCH! Lots of factors at play here, aren't there? Being ''executor'' does not mean being an heir. If your papers are very clear and very direct....shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, you might consider other options.

@pamagain When we first did our wills I did not know of my daughter's whereabouts and my will combined with my late wife's left everything to her kids. As time went on I changed mine and left parts to FFRF (made me a memorial member), The Nature Conservancy and a group known as Engender Health. Later, her kids became very successful and she wanted to change hers to the Humanist's group, Planned Parenthood and the local domestic violence awareness group. But she had to okay that with her kids. That didn't happen until they were all together in the hospital while she was getting diagnosed for her brain tumor. They told her, mom, we don't need your peanuts so we did a new will. Unfortunately, She lost the ability to speak, read and write. Her old will got torn up but she didn't officially sign the new will so it was invalid. In 2013 we were re-unit with my daughter (long story). She was the be the executor with a fee plus an added bonus. I also wrote some codicils changing the will and added my late wife's wishes to my will. With a codicil one can make changes easily. Right now thinks are in a flux so it's just a matter of paying attention and waiting.

@pedigojr I don't understand needing to ''okay that with her kids'' but it's not my business. Stay healthy, ok????

@pamagain Her kids were the main source of her estate. She was a huge believer and felt it necessary to confirm her change with her kids. When I made my change my daughter was not yet back in my life.
An example: her older brother once asked her to sponsor his and his family coming to the US. He was well off living and working in Dubai. He was getting ready to retire but would have to go back (including his family) to Iran when he retired. There would be little life for the family in Iran. She said no. Reason being #1 her younger brother had asked that previously. She knew he was lazy and she would be supporting him from then on. They were already in Iran and okay. She could not say no to one brother and yes to the other. Besides he had another option (which he took) to go to Canada. He did and the whole family is now in Vancouver BC which, coincidentally is the center for Iranians in Canada. Everyone (kids included) are very successful there.

@pedigojr Life's complicated, right?

@pamagain Correct and too often there are no easy answers. But sometimes there are as we are seeing with tRump and his enablers.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

Similar Posts

Categories

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:754795
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.