Agnostic.com

112 9

When did you start to identify as an atheist/agnostic?

Was there a specific instance where you started to identify as an atheist/agnostic, or was it a gradual process?

AshleyM1997 4 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

About age 8. i started asking a lot of questions in my United Methodist bible class, and wasn't getting any good answers (think Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory on a theoretical roll) ! 🙂 It was pretty much an instantaneous process. Then, I continued my education, and became widely read, and traveled, and still wasn't getting good answers. That's because there are none. Many people's beliefs are based on fables - the end.

1. I asked a whole bunch of questions to a vicar that came to the school, and he fumbled over most of them. "How could Noah fit every single species on the ark? It would need to be the size of Africa! And if God wanted everyone dead, why not just kill them himself, he's all powerful? And how come there were miracles, real ones, but aren't any more?" Stuff like that. I got a bunch of "well that's just the way God works" BS and I just thought...nah. It's all crap.

It's funny, but I have never believed in the supernatural, but I never really thought of myself as an atheist until I was in my late 20s. It never really mattered what I identified as. Religion didn't play any part in my life. It wasn't until I realized how harmful religion is that I felt the need to distance myself from it.

JimG Level 8 Nov 7, 2017

I started to go to the Unitarian CHurch when I was 12

About 15 years ago - I went to an atheist meetup with trepidation, because I had never met another atheist, and I expected weirdos, but instead I met ordinary persons with the exception of two atheists who had us laughing for two hours with their natural comedy. We didn't talk about religion.

As soon as I realized that religion is BS, back in high school. I come from a predominantly atheist family. I got brainwashed when we arrived in the US (2nd grade) and the Jewish organization stuck me into Hebrew School. I was just getting over one kind of brainwashing while undergoing culture shock, and thus fell for the 2nd set of brainwashing. By hs, I started observing how many different religions there are in the world and that they are constantly fighting against each other, even within certain variations of their own beliefs (like different types of Christianity). I also noticed all the brutality going on in the world, and was wondering where is that omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and all-loving god. That's when I figured out that there is not god, by the end of 11th grade. I switched hs my sr year, and there people already new me as atheist.

You are right on point & I agree with all of your ideas on atheism! [facebook.com]

After I finished listening to the audiobook of Sam Harris's The End of Faith.

When I moved to a new city where I had no friends or family. It was a life-changing reboot that allowed me the freedom to take a serious look at my beliefs and philosophies. Like the internet meme with stick figures that says "I didn't lose my faith - I threw it the fuck away." Yup.

In junior high

When I started taking Philosophy at High School, gradual process.

I started questioning things in my mid 20s. It was a gradual process at first, but once I opened my eyes to atheism I looked back on things and kinda had a "Wtf why did I ever buy into that crap!?" type of moment.

2010 even though I was never a believer growing up Catholic. That's when I started to call myself an atheist.

Began to realize life was just what it is at the age of 25, when I unwillingly broke up with my ex on the bases that I am not from the same country or share the same believe with her. It was quite awful as an African being dispair by the same race, same religion fanatics who keep saying "god was love"

King7 Level 1 Oct 23, 2017

always and forever

At the age of 7, saw a kid shot by military...I asked everyone why didn't God prevent that from happening if he could ? Why allow such a thing in the first place ?

At that moment, when no one could give me an explanation of this thing; I identified myself as an atheist.

Johar Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

Rather recently starting by late 2016. It was a long conflicting process for me to be an atheist cause of my very religious background and family but eventually, I couldn't avoid the truth.

I believe it was when my family started bringing me to church with them just before I started high school. I never believed in any religions, but had started researching the options once it became relevant to my life and realized that there was simply no evidence for any gods. This is when I began watching a lot of debates and thinking seriously about the topic and began labeling myself as an atheist and a secular humanist because the religious apologists never made a single good argument or had any evidence.

When I was 19. I had moved an ocean away from my parents and was free of the continually religious atmosphere. I did try to hang on to my faith by going to church, but I could not quieten the logical war that was waging inside me. I felt like a traitor to myself and ultimately abandoned religion. Best decision I ever made.

I remember questioning my mother about Methuselah being 967 years old and things like that. She told me to study the Bible and pray about it and I would understand when I got older. I really wanted to believe but the older I got and the more I knew the harder it got to believe. At age 41 I was forced to accept that the Bible didn't make sense.

I'll be 43 next month, and I cannot remember there ever being a time where the mythology made sense to me. My parents did not push religion on me, and I thank them for that.

I knew since my last couple of years in CCD (catechism). I was like, umm.. nah. Don't believe any of it. That was me turning Agnostic. I wasn't ready to say there was no higher power, but I knew the formal, mainstream religions weren't for me. At about 20 yrs old I gave up trying to force myself to believe in any of it and went full athiest.

My mother raised me going to Christian day care facilities and Sunday church. They made me memorize quite a few of the more popular verses. But everybody there seemed fake. I had questions and their answers were robotic. They were frequently easy to confuse and anger when challenged. Always deferring to "You just have to have faith." ## puke ##

I was probably about 8 when I openly defied the existence of God. I remember sitting outside yelling loudly and daring "him" to appear.

From a very young age, round about 7 or 8, it just never made sense to me at all.

Mine was a gradual process, and finally realized in high school, that I don't believe in god.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.