Agnostic.com

112 9

When did you start to identify as an atheist/agnostic?

Was there a specific instance where you started to identify as an atheist/agnostic, or was it a gradual process?

AshleyM1997 4 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never believed in god as much as i did evil but it was about 13 that I really dived into the ideal

I was never taught to believe a god exists. I was never taught to believe no gods exist. I didn't really call myself anything, though. While doing a Darwin project in High School, I came across Huxley, and then his writings on agnosticism. It described me just right, and I started calling myself an agnostic, and still do.

About 3 yers ago. I was part of the Jehovah's Witnesses organization.

I'm 38. I was indoctrinated at 12 when a "friend" invited me to a "youth group" (indoctrination) event. The premise for the invitation was that of, he thought I needed to be saved. They were supposed to invite people they thought needed to be saved. The "leader" pressured and threatened me with hell and damnation. Being 12 with only a mild introduction to the idea of Christianity, beyond simple cultural Christianity, I caved and became "saved". These fuckers were also Independent Methodists or evangelical brainwashers. My dad went with me to my new church but was concerned with the level of my belief. I think he did it to keep an eye on these people. About 15ish I started to "fall away", as every time I looked at a girl in high school I was "backsliding", and I got tired to having to "pray for forgiveness" every time I looked at a girl's ass.

I continued to believe in the Christian god throughout high school and into college in a Pascals wager kind of way. Then, as I became more educated in history and sociology I began to get a sense that it was all bullshit and that one's religion is based on one's geography. From 2003 onward I became a skeptic about religion, but I didn't actively seek out new information. A couple times when I felt down, like when I lost a job, I would turn to the Christian god. Then at 27, I decided to put up or shut up. Am I going to believe in any of this stuff or not. I sat down and decided to read the Bible cover to cover. I had an open mind until Exodus 32. When Moses came down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments, he saw people breaking the commandments before he had told them what the Commandments were. The penalty? Slaughter? That's when I became a true Atheist. That chapter defied any sense of rational justice, therefore the god involved could not be just. If a god cannot be just, it cannot be rational, if it cannot be rational, it cannot be a deity worthy of worship. Yes, I do realize that there is ridiculousness prior to Exodus that defies logic and rational thought, and they carried weight. Exodus 32 was the final straw. For the following 6 months, I spent an hour a day studying the Christian Bible with a different intent than when I started. Now my intent was no longer to answer questions about my own spirituality but to dissect this ridiculousness for what it was. So for about 10+ years, I have been a militant atheist/anti-theist.

Now I spoke poke mormons on their bicycles 🙂

Always.

Probably about 12

In the womb.

I'm not sure if I ever believed in God or if I ever truly subscribed to the Christian doctrine. I was very young when I realized I was supposed to believe all these things they spoke about in church were real. I guess I thought we were all pretending. Upon discovering that we were not, that I was supposed to really BELIEVE in God and Jesus and angels and Satan, I immediately wanted nothing more to do with church. When I started saying out loud to people that I equated piety to superstition, and no longer considered myself a Christian, that's when I felt changed and renewed. That's when I felt I had emerged from darkness and was no longer lost.

19 years old

I myself have always questioned but I have to say I became 100% agnostic atheist 2 or 3 years ago

At 25, after I took a hard look at religion and questioned every reason I gave myself to believe in a deity. Turns out, none of the reasons could withstand scrutiny.

Marz Level 7 Nov 21, 2017

I was raised in a christhian home, read the hole bible when i was a kid, but for me it was Music (Heavy Metal) that gave me the confidence to begin questioning stuff and not to be afraid of the consequences of freethinking.
A friend of mine gave me this Iron Maiden album at age 14, and i was afraid of listening the song "The Number of the Beast", because i could be sent to hell, so i just skipped it every time hahaha. But i really liked the music, so eventually i lost my fear and started questioning everything, and when you do that, then you realize that just... there is no god!

Gradual process, it was an accumulation of varying facts that brought me to the conclusion. It happen probably around Junior year of college.

Edit: wrong schooling

Right after I started being able to understand geologic time. For a long time I couldn't fathom the time scales. Once I could... The walls fell

Early 20s, I guess. I never really called myself anything for a long time after I stopped believing in my religious upbringing, but at some point I identified as an agnostic atheist.

About age 8. i started asking a lot of questions in my United Methodist bible class, and wasn't getting any good answers (think Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory on a theoretical roll) ! 🙂 It was pretty much an instantaneous process. Then, I continued my education, and became widely read, and traveled, and still wasn't getting good answers. That's because there are none. Many people's beliefs are based on fables - the end.

1. I asked a whole bunch of questions to a vicar that came to the school, and he fumbled over most of them. "How could Noah fit every single species on the ark? It would need to be the size of Africa! And if God wanted everyone dead, why not just kill them himself, he's all powerful? And how come there were miracles, real ones, but aren't any more?" Stuff like that. I got a bunch of "well that's just the way God works" BS and I just thought...nah. It's all crap.

It's funny, but I have never believed in the supernatural, but I never really thought of myself as an atheist until I was in my late 20s. It never really mattered what I identified as. Religion didn't play any part in my life. It wasn't until I realized how harmful religion is that I felt the need to distance myself from it.

JimG Level 8 Nov 7, 2017

I started to go to the Unitarian CHurch when I was 12

About 15 years ago - I went to an atheist meetup with trepidation, because I had never met another atheist, and I expected weirdos, but instead I met ordinary persons with the exception of two atheists who had us laughing for two hours with their natural comedy. We didn't talk about religion.

After I finished listening to the audiobook of Sam Harris's The End of Faith.

When I moved to a new city where I had no friends or family. It was a life-changing reboot that allowed me the freedom to take a serious look at my beliefs and philosophies. Like the internet meme with stick figures that says "I didn't lose my faith - I threw it the fuck away." Yup.

In junior high

When I started taking Philosophy at High School, gradual process.

I started questioning things in my mid 20s. It was a gradual process at first, but once I opened my eyes to atheism I looked back on things and kinda had a "Wtf why did I ever buy into that crap!?" type of moment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.