Agnostic.com

112 9

When did you start to identify as an atheist/agnostic?

Was there a specific instance where you started to identify as an atheist/agnostic, or was it a gradual process?

AshleyM1997 4 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At 25, after I took a hard look at religion and questioned every reason I gave myself to believe in a deity. Turns out, none of the reasons could withstand scrutiny.

Marz Level 7 Nov 21, 2017

I myself have always questioned but I have to say I became 100% agnostic atheist 2 or 3 years ago

19 years old

When I was 19.

I was a Hindu till then. Wide variety of gods to choose from, no rules whatsoever, even if there are any rules nobody forces you to do anything.

Then began to learn about other religions and their concept of god.

Then started reading atheist literature and attending science lectures.

Threw away all belief in god and learned to live confidently without the aid of invisible deities.

I'm not sure if I ever believed in God or if I ever truly subscribed to the Christian doctrine. I was very young when I realized I was supposed to believe all these things they spoke about in church were real. I guess I thought we were all pretending. Upon discovering that we were not, that I was supposed to really BELIEVE in God and Jesus and angels and Satan, I immediately wanted nothing more to do with church. When I started saying out loud to people that I equated piety to superstition, and no longer considered myself a Christian, that's when I felt changed and renewed. That's when I felt I had emerged from darkness and was no longer lost.

In the womb.

Probably about 12

Always.

I'm 38. I was indoctrinated at 12 when a "friend" invited me to a "youth group" (indoctrination) event. The premise for the invitation was that of, he thought I needed to be saved. They were supposed to invite people they thought needed to be saved. The "leader" pressured and threatened me with hell and damnation. Being 12 with only a mild introduction to the idea of Christianity, beyond simple cultural Christianity, I caved and became "saved". These fuckers were also Independent Methodists or evangelical brainwashers. My dad went with me to my new church but was concerned with the level of my belief. I think he did it to keep an eye on these people. About 15ish I started to "fall away", as every time I looked at a girl in high school I was "backsliding", and I got tired to having to "pray for forgiveness" every time I looked at a girl's ass.

I continued to believe in the Christian god throughout high school and into college in a Pascals wager kind of way. Then, as I became more educated in history and sociology I began to get a sense that it was all bullshit and that one's religion is based on one's geography. From 2003 onward I became a skeptic about religion, but I didn't actively seek out new information. A couple times when I felt down, like when I lost a job, I would turn to the Christian god. Then at 27, I decided to put up or shut up. Am I going to believe in any of this stuff or not. I sat down and decided to read the Bible cover to cover. I had an open mind until Exodus 32. When Moses came down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments, he saw people breaking the commandments before he had told them what the Commandments were. The penalty? Slaughter? That's when I became a true Atheist. That chapter defied any sense of rational justice, therefore the god involved could not be just. If a god cannot be just, it cannot be rational, if it cannot be rational, it cannot be a deity worthy of worship. Yes, I do realize that there is ridiculousness prior to Exodus that defies logic and rational thought, and they carried weight. Exodus 32 was the final straw. For the following 6 months, I spent an hour a day studying the Christian Bible with a different intent than when I started. Now my intent was no longer to answer questions about my own spirituality but to dissect this ridiculousness for what it was. So for about 10+ years, I have been a militant atheist/anti-theist.

Now I spoke poke mormons on their bicycles 🙂

About 3 yers ago. I was part of the Jehovah's Witnesses organization.

I was never taught to believe a god exists. I was never taught to believe no gods exist. I didn't really call myself anything, though. While doing a Darwin project in High School, I came across Huxley, and then his writings on agnosticism. It described me just right, and I started calling myself an agnostic, and still do.

I never believed in god as much as i did evil but it was about 13 that I really dived into the ideal

I've never believed in God, gods, or so called supernatural stuff. If it existed...it would be natural!

I tried so many Christian churches throughout my life. My 32 y.o. daughter died of an accidental overdose and it shattered everything I believed. I was told that God would never abandon me or give me more than I can handle.WRONG! My trying to undoctrinate myself has been a long and odd process. But once I realized there most likely isn't a god watching over me, I decided how I wanted to live and felt such liberation. What I didn't expect was at 59 years old, when I came out 5 years ago, that I would lose friends, not to realizing just how Christian America is and how in that, there is some real bigotry against anyone who doesn't believe as your run of the mill Christian does.

I lost my 18 y2k daughter the same way. I understand how you feel

Catholic school

I was 9 years old. I was brought up in a religious family who were regular church goers. There was so much bickering and bitchiness, even at 9, I could see this went against the notions of God I'd been taught to believe. From then I saw religious communities as hypocrites. This coincided with me getting a telescope and learning about astronomy. There was no evidence of God being present in such an expansive universe.

I was very young. My parents didn't like it. The church youth group (that I was still dragged to) didn't like it. I didn't care cos I was 'trouble' lol

I would say I was swinging like a pendulum for years between belief and lack of belief. Then, I watched a Psych 101 course on iTunes University from Paul Bloom (a professor at Yale). He was talking about Alzheimer’s and I don’t remember exactly what he said, but it gave me this sudden dawning that we can’t possibly have souls. If disease can completely devastate our personalities, memories, and essentially dismantle who we are, then we are simply a personality of our brain’s functionality, and once that functionality is impaired or ceases, then we too cease to be. I don’t believe in God, because what evidence there is is based on ancient, outdated, fantastical literature and the very clear point of it is gap of knowledge explanations, control and order attained by fear. It doesn’t hold water, so I had to let it go.

I too had a similar inclination. Without our percepts and body to experience life and form a conscious, and let's say only the soul is left, the soul has lost it's vehicle of awareness and being. How does the soul now sense life and the existential plane? Is there another dimension it enters? Another celestial form? What is the soul? What is awareness exactly? Who am I? What happens to the memories and sense of self? How am I able to even sense self or feel alive as self? Will this self experience a different form of awareness and being? Are our memories being written and stored in a global sphere? Is there a sphere of all knowledge and being that celestial bodies can feed from? Does this sense of self ceases to exist when the body ceases to exist? For me, it's all awe inspiring (like thinking about the shear possibility that my sense of self even exists) and the deeper you think about it, the more it all just seems so surreal and magical and like anything is possible. Like we can experience anything so completely odd and different from the plane we sense in this humanly form.

I also thought there's no soul in the same fashion as your flow of reasoning. Then, started thinking about all the other stuff above. Had to clarify just in case this point was lost above.

It started in about 6th or 7th grade. I had some really disturbing religion teachers with really fucked up worldviews. Some of them seemed so unhinged and unreputable, I think everyone in my class grew a bit skeptical. When Brother David, the only redeeming figure of the church, jumped in front of a train -- our religion teacher told us all he was going to hell. They never had a service for him. I remember being disappointed to find my friend was being confirmed Catholic. I was already halfway through 12 years of Catholic school as a Methodist and their intolerance made me much more prone to resistance. I refused to do the sign of the cross or kneel during mass. I felt isolated when I had to cross my arms over my chest when everyone else received communion. When I asked one of my teachers about reincarnation, I was laughed at (and this was maybe 4th grade). The constant slights bred contempt. I clung to my traditions in the Methodist church up until 8th grade, feeling they belonged to me and I needed to defend them. I was baptized but never confirmed.

When I was about 13-15 my parents decided to start going back to church. They brought us to one with a live band and the drums would give me headaches. I liked the quiet hymns and my grandma's organ playing. We never made friends there. Everyone stayed in their cliques and would give praise so loudly and obnoxiously, arms high above their heads, it felt incredibly insincere. They forced me to go on a white water rafting trip I didn't want to go on, which fell apart and became a sleepover at some church lady's house I did not know at all. I wasn't friends with anyone, I didn't make friends, and I'm glad no one tried to take advantage of my vulnerability because I was terrified of it happening... I didn't know them at all.

All throughout high school I would spend mass daydreaming and being generally uncooperative. We finally made it out of sacred scripture and into world religion, and my beliefs and understanding of the world gained more clarity.

I even stopped cooperating at home, where after refusing to say the blessing, I was beaten and my food was thrown into the next room. I already knew that it was a false display of Christianity to begin with and I had no more respect for it anymore. So of course you would throw the food you asked me to bless and be violent. It was definitely gone by then.

If it weren't for my grandmother... I'd never have seen the good in Christianity. She was the only real one I knew, and much of her advice still stays with me. Much of it fueled my resistance to the constant performance of belief, and I'm so grateful she helped sow in me the seeds for my own self-determination.

Cwen Level 4 Dec 29, 2017

OMG. I drank five Mountain Dews in the time it took to read that! I started hearing Charlie Brown. Suggestion: Break your responses down. People actually look forward to reading short tid bits. Keep them hooked. Shit: Netflix does that to us.

In 7th grade, My parents raised me to think for myself. Was never made to go to church or forced into religion. 7th grade i truly wanted to see what religion was all about. Plus this girl I had a huge crush on at the time was a huge christian, so I went to 2 bible school events. After questioning everything that was being preached, and getting terrible answers. I decided religion was a made up tool to control my mind. I was way ahead of my time 😀

I ever considered this my natural condition. But essentially started labeling myself as such in 10-th grade.
For some years considered myself "atheist". But then had some... let's say "religious experiences" and started considering myself agnostic or following a one-man religion.

At age 35, mired in a deep depression and having prayed to a god for 35 years who never once answered my prayers. Just suppose there is a God---I did not give up on Him, He gave up on me.

I started to identify as agnostic in the 6th grade in Catholic school when I just couldn't get myself to believe what they were trying to get me to believe.It wasn't a specific instance, but rather 6 years of Catholic school that didn't make sense.

Never being invested in any of it despite being surrounded by it helped me see it all for the BS that it was. At best I was agnostic when I was young, but late teens and on wards I still remained thoroughly uninvested and unconvinced, so I was pretty much atheist at that point. Religion class in school is one of the driest, most boring, and repetitive classes to sit through as a kid. They mostly taught us the new testament stuff and the more lubby dubby happy go lucky roman catholic stuff. And when I started to see how inconsistent all that crap was with reality, I took it as seriously as any fairy tale.

After 8 years in all girl catholic school.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.