Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Onward, Christian soldiers: Right-wing religious nationalists launch dramatic new power play | Salon.com

This article really pissed me off!!

“Among the ways they are seeking to implement 'biblical values,'" Clarkson continued, "is by seeking religious exemptions from civil rights laws and professional licensing standards.” The two-tiered society this would create reflects the essence of Christian nationalism, as Whitehead describes it.

Whitehead told Salon: “Our work shows that believing that the United States is a ‘Christian nation’ and desiring a close, symbiotic relationship between Christianity and civil society is significantly associated with a number of stances like opposition toward same-sex marriage, antipathy toward religious minorities and a tendency toward endorsing stricter racial boundaries in romantic and family relationships." So it makes sense, he continued, "that these groups who advocate for a formal recognition of the 'Christian nation' narrative are also seeking to formalize support for particular definitions of marriage, gender identity and family structure” — definitions that elevate some people and effectively subjugate others.

zblaze 7 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The saying about power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely fits here. This has been done over and over throughout history and people never seem to get it. It has also created a lot pf suffering and destruction (I lived in the old city of Heidelberg Germany and in 1690 the city was destroyed by the Catholic French against the Protestant citizens of the town). This seems to be the human condition, repeat mistakes of the past over and over and over. This is why secularism is so desperately needed.

They are putting out over 40 million pcs. of literature a year plus big programs in civic arenas.

Insanity. This would affect so much of society and would infringe on so many other's civil rights. How could this even be allowed to come to fruition? I would like to think that this wouldn't happen even with the psychos in power now. I do know better though lol

I hope you are correct

Muslim theocracy = bad.
Christian theocracy = good.
It's all so hypocritical and horrifying.

dkp93 Level 8 May 7, 2018

Muslim theocracy= bad
Christian theocracy= bad
Jewish theocracy= bad
My opinion ?

This is insanity. Our country was supposedly founded on the idea of religious freedom. Their behavior gets bolder and bolder due to the power of conservative Republicans. Isn't a revolution overdue at this point.

Your country was founded by bigots too extreme even by the general standards of 1620 England, and who went on to invent all manner of new religions such as those of the Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, 7th day Adventists, Amish, Christian Scientists etc., etc! To this day you have to swear on bibles in your courtrooms, use bank notes alluding to God and would probably never make it as president if you were open about being an atheist! Why do you support Israel despite all its misdeeds, if not out of sickly attachment for little jewish baby Jesus and all the folklore that goes with it?!

@LoneJungle don't bitch at me. I wasn't born here I was born in Turkey

@AmelieMatisse: Apologies, apologies, apologies! : It actually occurred to me just after pressing "Reply" that, be it only as a matter of semantics, I should not have made my comments using the easy, personal "you", but kept them neutral.... I shan't make that mistake again!

@AmelieMatisse Turkey? Where? I was stationed there.

@LoneJungle thank you sweetie....see I'm smiling

@LoneJungle, @JackPedigo Ankara

@AmelieMatisse, Are you related to Henri M. ?

@LoneJungle I am his wife. I am also a bit delusional

@AmelieMatisse The capital, been there. Ever hear of Sinop? Small world.

@LoneJungle People from other countries love to take potshots a others. First off religious freedom means people are free to start their own religions. Ever hear of Pastafarians? Our country was formed because England was a poor manager. The money did not have the dreaded phrase on it until ell after the country was started and it was not until the 50's (McCarthy) that the phrase appeared on the bills. Yes there were problems and Democracy can be messy. Now one can elect not to have the stupid bible or any reference to a god when taking an oath. The European countries have taken their present governmental role from us and adapted tit to serve their purpose. Yes, it is better. After the war the Germans redid their electrical system. The original one we destroyed and they could start over. We still had the same old, problematic one we started with. Our constitution was outmoded but too difficult to change. We had what we had. @AmelieMatisse

My biggest concern is the extreme Christian radicalization of our military.

Do you think that is happening?

@AmelieMatisse yes Betsy deVos and Erik Prince since the illegal Bush Crime Family deposed Vice President Gore from Commander In Chief illegal wars have been pushing troops into the clutches of extremist chaplains so much so Atheist troops have pushed back further polarizing an already McCarthyistic red baiting military since 1919

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.