Agnostic.com

5 10

LINK Local News Pope Francis Says Divorce Can Be 'Morally Necessary' For Some Couples -- CBS News

VATICAN CITY (CBS SF) - In sharp contrast to generations of Catholic teachings, Pope Francis reportedly conceded Wednesday that some couples are simply better off divorced.

"It is true…that there are cases when separations are inevitable. Sometimes they can even become morally necessary," the pontiff said during his weekly audience in Saint Peter's Square, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Pope Francis indicated he was referring specifically to cases of abuse, violence or exploitation against one partner or small children.

It's not clear if that topic was behind the Pope's tweet Thursday morning:

In Confession, Jesus welcomes us with all our sinfulness, to give us a new heart, capable of loving as he loves.
— Pope Francis (@Pontifex) June 25, 2015

Catholic officials admit that the topic of divorce is among the most sensitive and difficult to reconcile for the faith. Francis and key bishops are expected to consider the idea of allowing remarried divorcees to take communion and other contentious social issues at an upcoming meeting in Rome this October.

Pope Francis' first such meeting last year made headlines for an apparent softening in the church's stance toward LGBT community participation in the church.

snytiger6 9 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For a Catholic, Francis is a pretty forward-thinking guy.

Statistically speaking, marriage is the leading cause of divorce in the U.S.!!?! 🤔

You mean, like being tied to the first husband forever?
No Doubt in my mind I would have been dead soon, he had taken up putting me and the baby in the car with a shovel and taking us for long drives to nowhere, where he would not acknowledge my presence.
Alabama waived the automatic 6-month waiting period for me.....thank you George Wallace's brother, the Barbour County Judge at the time.

I'm so glad you were able to escape that monster!! My first marriage was crap too. He just thought it was perfectly normal to knock me around when I didn't agree with him on something..... So glad I was able to get out of mine too.

@Redheadedgammy hugs girl!!!!!

If you have money and power then getting an annulment from the Catholic church is a piece of cake. No matter how many children you have. Just pure hypocrisy.

When the Pope is more liberal than the MAGA right you know we're through the looking glass.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:757860
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.