Agnostic.com

4 13

LINK A sham medical group put out an anti-trans statement. Conservatives took the bait. -- Friendly Atheist

The American College of Pediatricians is an ideological hate group, not a science-based professional organization

Jun 09, 2024

Late last week, dozens of members of the American College of Pediatricians issued a statement urging health care professionals to stop offering gender-affirming care to minors.

It came by way of a statement called the “Doctors Protecting Children Declaration,” complete with a hastily put together website and a “press conference” featuring A Lady Wearing a Lab Coat.

(Follow above article link to view photos/PDFs that accompany this article.)

If the goal was to get attention, it worked. That video was shared by pretty much every anti-trans propagandist on the right, including Elon Musk. The Catholic News Agency hyped the statement as well.

It was also shared by reactionary/gullible “skeptics” like Michael Shermer.

There’s just one problem.

This isn’t a legitimate organization representing the field of pediatrics. It’s a group akin to the one mom who runs “One Million Moms.” They require prospective members to accept a certain set of ideologies. The group promotes abstinence-only sex education, opposes same-sex marriage, rejects vaccine mandates, links homosexuality with pedophilia, supports gay conversion “therapy,” and claims transgender identities are a mental illness. The Southern Poverty Law Center labeled them a hate group—and has the receipts to back up that claims.

According to leaked documents obtained by WIRED last year, the ACP had just over 700 members in 2022.

If you’re looking for the organization that represents what the top pediatricians in the country have to say, you’d want to check out the American Academy of Pediatrics. That’s the organization with 67,000 members that’s generally respected by scientists everywhere.

The ACP decided about two decades ago to mimic the name, website, and mission of the AAP in order to trick people into accepting their recommendations on everything from abortion policy to LGBTQ issues. Or, at the very least, they were hoping to piggyback on the credibility of the AAP by using the group’s influence to get themselves mentioned in media outlets every time there’s a child health controversy. All they need is some ignorant journalist who’s hoping to sound objective by getting “both sides” on the record… even when there aren’t two scientifically valid sides to the issue.

And because the ACP looks the part and has a logo and everything, idiots everywhere have fallen for the trick. (It’s telling that their annual report measures success by how many social media hits they get and not, say, how many children they help.)

All of that’s to say: No one should be paying any attention to what a conservative hate-group that cares only about ideology, not science, says about transgender people.

As for gender-affirming care, you should know it’s supported by people who actually know what they’re talking about because the science—and the outcomes—back them up. Here’s Scientific American in 2022:

The truth is that data from more than a dozen studies of more than 30,000 <strong>transgender</strong> and gender-diverse young people consistently show that access to gender-affirming care is associated with better mental health outcomes—and that lack of access to such care is associated with higher rates of suicidality, depression and self-harming behavior…

Major medical organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the Endocrine Society, the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association, have published policy statements and guidelines on how to provide age-appropriate gender-affirming care. All of those medical societies find such care to be evidence-based and medically necessary.

There are differences of opinion when it comes to which care is appropriate at which age, but those decisions should ultimately be between doctors and patients, not conservatives who never accept trans identities or who think children can’t possibly know if they’re LGBTQ. Just as you’d never ask a Catholic priest for sex advice, you should never ask members of the American College of Pediatricians how they’d help LGBTQ people. Why waste your time when they’re ignorant about the subject?

Incidentally, Robby Starbuck, the person whose tweet about the ACP’s statement went viral, has a reason for spreading this misinformation. He’s an anti-trans activist who’s promoting his own anti-trans movie in which he lied to participants to secure their involvement, then edited their statements in deceptive ways.

You would think that’d raise some red flags with the founder of Skeptic magazine, but Shermer stopped caring about reason a long while ago.

(Portions of this article were publisher earlier)

snytiger6 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sadly some will believe any damn fool thing presented to them, bypass any thinking process because it just does exist.
I was talking to a friend of mine, not a close friend, just someone who lives in my apartment complex. She did not know about trump's bone spurs and how the doctor was paid to provide a letter to the military so trump could avoid the draft.
She voted for trump in 2016 but not in 2020 and will vote for Biden this year but she is really freaked out by Biden's age.
All that to say I am sure if she saw anything about this sham group she'd believe it and I'd hear about it. Good thing it's not in anything she reads.

When anyone bring up Biden's age to me, I tell them that Trump is only three years younger, and that Biden eats healthy and exercises, while Trump doesn't. I'd put my money on Biden to out live Trump.

I respect and support people playing or experimentation on themselves. Support freedom with the responsibilities of not harming anyone else. as it comes .
I don't support political or religious groups that physically experimentatiing on my child without my approval or awareness.
If teacher wants to teach Gay B Cs, it's OK, no harm.. When they get out the drugs and knives to cut body parts, it's where I draw the line. So leave my kid alone. I teach them slowly how to think for themselves, then after age 18,they do whatever they want.

I didn't know these losers were still around. Science isn't doesn't support your religious bigotry, just pretend that it does!

I have a few problems with these things that seem to be pushed upon the gullible from every side. I wanna know why people continue to believe that Bobby will come home from school with his dick cut off or convinced that he should not have one. Susy comes home telling you how she will now never have periods and she is going to be a boy. People are convinced that the left is grooming kids into these things every day and it starts in Kindergarten. This in turn starts another home schooling binge from the right. This is all hogwash, but the key to it all is the word "left."

With a lot of our American freedoms at stake someone is going all out to make Democrats and Republicans hate each other. Lots of name calling is involved the right starts out saying there are only 2 genders. From there they move on into the left claiming more. Now we have the LGBTQ hate creeping in bigtime. Next comes the stories on how the teachers want to operate on your Kindergarten kids and get them on the side of the left. It just goes on and on.

In an election year where a desperate Donald Trump will do anything to get back into the White House this is not hard for me to figure. Obviously, Joe Biden will not get very far if he is pushing this gender nightmare assignment idea. To think that he would be is causing voter panic, and that is the idea in a nutshell. I see the voter panic and I also see the man and the people with him that helped cause it.

I'm voting blue and you should too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:758258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.