Agnostic.com

6 7

sitting croutchedly, eating a bowl of baked vegetables. it all started a couple weeks back, when i was browsing for bp stuff. I've seen nurses eyes get wide, listening to my hypertension. nurses are the best. not a picky eater, i am a tennessee eater i figure. so on the path to a less historical diet this evening i chopped up some veggies and baked'em. quite tasty, but a different kind of satisatisfying. very unlike microwaving a packaged substance and following up with some portion of a bag or box filled with manna.
beginning this path i can be confident i don't know what i'm talking about.
in part this revisited effort to eat in accordance with common sense there was an intentional experience with beets. when young the smell was repulsive and that has been my impression of beets ever since. the bp browsing revealed beets were a dandy ally in the struggle, ergo the intentional experience. there are plenty of orange juice options, but not so many for beet juice. while looking into the glass of purple milk that smelled like used dirt, i closed my eyes and took a swallow. my brain now has a crease or two it didn't. roasting beets leads me imagining a further dig into the root and its miracles.

hankster 9 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like beets. My latest is eat slices of cooked and cooled down beets with wasabi and Kikkoman soy sauce. I know it sounds weird. Lol A Japanese friend introduced me to this and I've been hooked!

Ryo1 Level 8 July 3, 2024

Beetroot benefits include...

Rich in protective antioxidants
May have anti-cancer properties
May have anti-inflammatory properties
May lower blood pressure and heart disease risk
May improve exercise performance and support energy levels
May improve digestive health
May protect the gut
May support brain health and reaction time
May be a useful addition to a post-menopause diet
May relieve symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon.

[bbcgoodfood.com]

I'll give that a try. thanks. love some wasabi.

I eat lots of veggies and less meat. I eat eggs and cheese, you don't have to kill the animal to obtain those. I got kinda lazy for a while, and when I saw my doc last week my bp is up and so is my cholesterol. So I am tweaking my diet a bit, adding more fish and less processed food. I was eating lots of crackers with hummus. The crackers are gone, now it is carrots and celery with hummus. I'm also walking a mile or more most mornings. I will keep walking until it gets too hot or I find a new job. I'm not looking for a job yet, and maybe I will decide to just retire. I won't be looking until the end of July as I have other stuff coming up, and a crap ton of appointments with various medical offices.

sounds good, just don't let'em feed you any statins. just smile and trash the script if they give you one. cholesterol evils are just hype for the most part. drug companies like 'em tho.

@hankster I declined a script for statins. I told the doc I will try through diet first, and next year if the numbers are still out there we can discuss statins then.

I grew up on salami sandwiches on white bread, canned corned beef hash and other atrocities but several years ago I segued, for health reasons, into an almost completely plant based diet and I love it. It was difficult, giving up overprocessed foods, and especially sweets, but I feel so much better. I don't eat sugar anymore. I pass up sweets at parties, since I figured out that the only reaction to a cupcake is another cupcake... and another. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, and like you, I have learned to love them. Highly processed foods now taste like chemicals and sugar to me and I no longer crave them.

While I'm not found of beets, they do have amazing health benefits. So does sauerkraut... and a combination of the two seems to be extremely beneficial.

I eat lots of veggies and less meat. I eat eggs and cheese, you don't have to kill the animal to obtain those. I got kinda lazy for a while, and when I saw my doc last week my bp is up and so is my cholesterol. So I am tweaking my diet a bit, adding more fish and less processed food. I was eating lots of crackers with hummus. The crackers are gone, now it is carrots and celery with hummus. I'm also walking a mile or more most mornings. I will keep walking until it gets too hot or I find a new job. I'm not looking for a job yet, and maybe I will decide to just retire. I won't be looking until the end of July as I have other stuff coming up, and a crap ton of appointments with various medical offices.

I agree with almost everything you said except for eggs and dairy. Those industries are incredibly cruel to animals. So now I drink almond milk and I will only buy eggs marked "Certified Cruelty Free" . The phrases "pasture raised" and "farm raised" mean absolutely nothing. Those birds spend 99% of their time crammed into dark sheds.

A few years ago, I adopted a whole-foods, plant-based (WFPB) dietary plan. I slimmed down, my blood pressure lowered, my energy increased, and my tastes changed so I crave fruits and vegetables, no longer caring for heavily processed food-like products. But, no matter how much I like roasted vegetables and salads and homemade soups and stews, I cannot convince myself that I like beets. I know they're nutritious and have tremendous health benefits, but I loathe the flavor — no matter how they're prepared — and I've given up trying to add them to my diet. More power to you if you've been able to flip that switch, because I've tried repeatedly and failed every time. (I can eat the beet greens, though, just not the root.)

turned out i liked them luckily, after all that beet hate. i really scorned the r
thought of them for a long time but can't seem to get enough lately. i haven't tried pickled ones yet.

@hankster To a lesser degree, that's how it was for me with sweet potatoes. I hated them — far too cloying with a strange aftertaste — but after changing my diet, I started to enjoy them. Unfortunately, despite several attempts, the same hasn't been true of beets. I feel like I ought to be able to overcome my aversion, but no matter how they're prepared — in soups/stews, roasted, boiled, pickled, Harvard style {shudder} — I just can't seem to get beyond my distaste for them. Meh. I eat really well otherwise, so I'm not overly concerned, but I realize I'm missing out on a nutritious food.

@resserts kinda unfortunate but its hard to like what you dont. eat them sweet taters. lots of potassium. easy root food.

@hankster Absolutely. I still like russets better, but sweet potatoes have grown on me and they are versatile enough to add some variety. And, in some soups and stews, they add bulk and flavor without making the dish starchy the way regular potatoes do. All in all, they've been a good addition to my diet.

@resserts they are a dandy. i just give them a little fork treatment, wrap a paper towel around, and chuck 'em in the microwave for 5 or 6 mins. might drizzle some honey or olive oil and eat. easy and quick. enjoy.

Good luck on your journey. Here in the UK we have a tradition of eating beetroot picked in vinegar, often with spices added. I don't know if you have it in the USA. The pickle tastes quite different from the fresh root and is truly wonderful, especially with salad or in sandwiches, and you get the benefits of the vinegar too.

Pickled beets are the best! I love them.

I really enjoy pickled vegetables and it's the only way I can eat beets which I actually love that way. I'll even eat them by themselves instead of in salads, paired with some hard-boiled or deviled eggs.

oh yeah traditional grub. pickled beets is virtually a staple for my father.

@Lauren I've gotta try the pickled ones. so far beets ain't done me wrong. love boiled eggs, but ain't got over the deviled egg hurdle. i can't stand mayo or salad dressing. had a bad experience as a kid with spoiled miracle whip. nasty lol.

@hankster Ugh, Miracle Whip is nasty enough when it hasn't gone bad so that would be hard to overcome. Do you like mustard? I sometimes use either brown or dijon and then garnish with bacon (defeating the healthy aspect) or chives/scallions. Or plain is good, too. 🙂

@Lauren certainly. mustard is delish. might get ranked by ketchup for fries, but otherwise mustard is tops. varieties hold up well. idk which is the original really. yellow was aways "mustard" then they had guldens and the grey poupon stuff. very fancy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:760311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.