Agnostic.com

48 11

Are you lonely?.

If so, what do you think makes you feel this way? American stats report this to be as huge as obesity even in the youth. It's dangerous for health.

2muchstupidity 6 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments (26 - 48)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I'm lonely. And most days I never see another person. I think a lot of this stems from not having anyone nearby who is invested in my life to a greater extent.

Can't say that I am.

Not at the moment.. An actually, less & less. I sure miss my daughters, but that happens, they grow up.. Miss my dogs, but they live in dog-years. Don’t [Do not] miss my long-time former wife, which actually gives a strange comfort.

Lonely seeps in sometimes, most often when I’ve something to share, yet no one.… ‘Oh well,’ I’ll think, and move on to the next project, activity or adventure, alone ~

[edited to remove this: Don’t - Admin - where is that crap coming from?]

Varn Level 8 May 8, 2018

Yes, but it is also nice to not be bothered.

Yes, no need to elaborate.... You can't help other than your kindness while exchanging messages

Loneliness is no doubt a factor but i think the real problem (especially for the youth, but not exclusive to) is a sense of disconnection when the society of the greedy sees everyone as slaves and anyone not actively contributing to wealth creation as worthless.

I completely agree.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, sort of. Since graduating college I haven't had a consistent friend group, and because of my de-conversion happening at the same time I didn't have the church to fall back on like normal. I have co-workers that I'll hang out with, but I still haven't found much of a niche. At the same time though I've gotten closer to my family and I've gotten a lot more used to the solitude so most days I don't notice it as much.

Loneliness starts from within.

I get a little bit lonely but I'm ok with it.

I think it's better to be lonely then to hook up with somebody that will screw over you also I do have bad social anxiety sometimes I'm okay around people

Not at all, solitary creature by nature.

Yes, sometimes. I'm a divorced dad of two kids. Most of the time I'm with my children, who keep me busy. But living in the bible belt where 99% of the population is christian, can be a very lonely place.

Existentialism....sheep...focusing too much outward instead of self, ego mania?

StephD Level 4 June 11, 2018

Lonely and alone, though more alone than lonely. Choosing to be alone to reflect, read, k, meditate. Occasionally join groups. But interesting question since one of the strengths of religion is the groupk or the satisfaction of being to a group, so without religion one easily ends up lonely I guess, though more on conservative very religious countries.

Very much but I really don't like being around people.. life story..

MsAl Level 8 May 8, 2018

Sometimes but I'm also new to an area so I suppose that doesn't help.

Not lonely - just alone. I'm an "Asparagus" (jocular term for Asperger's ) and actively seek to be alone at times. However, I still treasure my close friends and so I am not lonely when alone.

Intrigued by "asparagus", your obvious ease in stating, dealing with that issue... Might you know of a decent site for me to read further?

@njoy_life_2 wrongplanet is a good site for discussing aspergers and autism type issues. They have an active discussion community. I used to spend a lot of time there but it feels a little "whiny" after a while and I get to dwelling on my issues to much. It's nice to relate with other people with those issues though sometimes.
[wrongplanet.net]

@MsAl
Ty, I suspect I have some hint of this, but know so little..
So much to know, so little time. .....

@njoy_life_2 Sorry, I visit no autism sites. I have also had a rare(ish) cancer for the past 3 years, but I avoid "cancer support" sites like the plague. I will happily read about these subjects for my own knowledge and information, but that is as far as it goes.
I suppose I have a stoical attitude to life, thanks to my very "African" upbringing.

@Petter
I am certain a more "village-centric" outlook is what humans are adapted to, and -in most of the 'developed' world - and lacks terribly. Ty

Humans of late capitalism.

IAS1 Level 5 May 8, 2018

I'm too content on my own to be happy. I think of the future, when friends are gone and people will not want to get to know some old guy. Inevitably, mobility decreases and solitude can go from being an indulgence to a prison. I'm the youngest in my family so I expect my old age to be very lonely.

Yeah, pretty often. I'm trying to get used to it still and find stuff to keep my mind occupied. I'm just so used to having someone around and to not... It's odd. I guess even beyond that having all my friends now busy with their own lives and in different cities. I don't really talk to anyone text wise even. Rough some days, but im sure ill get used to it.

I moved from Egypt all by myself to Nova Scotia two years ago..a place entirely different from where I grew up, different language, different rules, different people, different culture, food, weather.. there are nearly no Egyptians here..
So tell me about loneliness !!
Sometimes the loneliness torments me but I fight it back most of the time..
There is a nice song by my favorite singer that translates:

My hands are in my pockets and my heart is delighted...
Wandering in an estrangement but I don't feel estranged...
Alone but I feel accompanied and walking down the road...
Am I going far or getting close ? Am I going far or getting close ?

Why, would you like to come over ??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76154
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.