Agnostic.com

15 4

Weird wish

Do you ever wish that you had faith or were religious? I have a lot over the last few years.

I have 3 sons, and over the years, they’ve gone through some stuff. My oldest is Bipolar, my toddler has had 2 major surgeries, and my littlest(1 month old) May have a syndrome that could cause him a lot of difficulty(we’re awaiting the results of the blood work).

I’m in the middle of the Bible Belt, so whenever I tell people about some of their difficulties, I always hear “I’m praying for you.” I think it’s thoughtful, but it makes me envious. I wish I could believe and pray and not worry about my family. I mean, I know Christians worry, but it seems like they have an insurance plan that I don’t have. It might be totally bogus, but there’s still some sort of emotional/spiritual relief.

Anyway, am I the only weirdo who feels this way? I’m up now because I just got the baby back to sleep, and I’m about to get ready to take my toddler to the hospital for another procedure.

Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

alienspark 4 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. It has never been anything remotely tempting. I am very sorry for the troubles you have experienced. I feel like religion would only make matters worse as it would introduce a lie. Best of luck to you.

Having a sick child was what pulled away the last shreds of belief from me.

I had been raised as an atheist/Humanistic Jew, but fell in love with a man who ached to become a Jew. I went to conversion classes with him and we had a religious wedding. We had two girls who each got sent to Jewish Pre-K schools. The older one was not particularly affected. The younger one loved being Jewish and learning prayers, etc. So, of course, she was the one who got cancer. We battled it for nearly two years before losing her.

While my husband prayed, I sat and thought, "No god that I could believe in would permit children to suffer like this." People would try to comfort me with religious sayings and concepts, but I found them nauseating.

Now, when people attempt to convert me to their way of belief, I just ask if their god permits children to suffer with cancer. After they hem and haw a bit, they finally admit yes. And I tell them I could never believe in their god.

My late husband believed that all his problems would be solved and that he would see our daughter again after his death. I think we have just one go-round. It is up to us to solve the problems of the world. Many people believe they are doing something productive with their thoughts and prayers. I think they are self-soothing themselves like a child sucking its thumb or an adult masturbating.

Even the Pope says that thoughts and prayers are not enough. You must back them up with action and charity to solve the issues that caused the problems that are being prayed about. Guess what? If you go straight to action and charity, you resolve the problems without a single prayer.

Not at all. As an x-Christian I have never felt regret for becoming an atheist.

For one, I no longer have to try to excuse the inexcusable issues I struggled with for years. As I became more educated and more aware of the world, some harsh realities finally became obvious. Most people believe "their religion" is the one real truth simply based on where they were born and raised. A child under five years old dies somewhere about every 7 seconds nonstop. If a God designed this world, he gave us random indiscriminate suffering from earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, and many horrible diseases by choice. If there is some hide and seek God, they are a sadistic evil entity.

Also, I found that I can now judge people based solely on their individual actions, and not discriminate automatically because of what group someone belongs too.

No.
Everything in my life has reinforced my conviction that religion in all its variants is the worst thing infecting humanity and everything else.

I never wish to have faith (belief without evidence) because I think faith:

reduces the value of truth and reality

Makes it difficult to distinguish between what is real and what is imaginary.
I think faith acts as the catalyst for many mental disorders and illness. I value truth and mental health so faith, like cancer, is nothing I would desire for anyone.

This is a little different from your situation, but I understand the appeal, too.

I only have recently deconverted, and my life would be SO much easier right now if I still believed. My whole family and my spouse are deeply Christian, and I have spent most my life putting myself on a very Christian trajectory, only to realize lately that's probably not a good idea. So, yeah, having faith would solve a lot of interpersonal issues. Life would be more pleasant if I could whole-heartedly pray with my wife; it would be simpler if I could take my parent's statements about miracles without unsettling and deep skepticism; it would be more hopeful if I could watch my Father-in-Law's TV shows on Christian "Revival" and not get sick to my stomach realizing how dreadful such a scenario would be for most people involved.

The problem is that, faith, without any basis but pure conjecture, does not work for me at all (indeed it doesn't work at all, period). The risks of buying into failing ideas is too high and too dangerous. So in one sense, I want Christian faith, but I also very much do not. Intellectually, it's appalling, yet for me personally on an emotional level, it's dangerously attractive.

@alienspark That's real tough with your son and parents, I'm sorry to hear that. It's good that you've been gracious with them all. 🙂

I've felt that way too, but I tend to think of religion as just another psychological defense mechanism. When bad things happen I just remember to see it that way and know it's going to work out however it will regardless, and I trust myself to be strong enough to handle it when it does. I've also created a great support system to help me if I'm not.

If l could fool myself into believing maybe it would help, but l can't.

I get why it could make you feel better but its way too flawed to be possible.

I am jealous of the community that churches offer and would love to believe that I could see my mom again or not just be gone when I die. I know they are wrong though, and morally inferior. I guess I'd rather be right than happy and oblivious.

MsAl Level 8 May 8, 2018

I think this sense of community that people find in churches must vary from place to place and denomination to denomination. I sang in an Anglican church choir for several years because I like traditional Anglican church music. Although everyone there was very polite, I don't think I could ever think of them as friends. Although they never asked me, they may perhaps have sensed my lack of religious faith.

And my mother-in-law, who was a choir member and Sunday school teacher at her local church for most of her married life, and continued to attend regularly after her husband died, never struck me as being a close member of that community. After she was no longer able to safely walk the block or so to the church, I used to go in the car to pick her up. I nearly always found her in a room full of people, standing by herself, sipping a cup of tea. (Admittedly, she was quite introverted.)

Better to suffer my life's trials than to live in ignorance.
All the good and all the bad that I have endured and created is all mine and mine alone. It is truly all that I am and all that I fully own in life.

I don't know why Christians even say they're praying for sick people, since they also claim that God "controls everything," so everything that happens is "God's will."

If anyone does get a miracle or is healed, it's from the calm belief of the people themselves, not a "god," since anyone can do it. I've had spectacular healings all my life, both for myself and others. Also for animals, but since nonbelievers can do this, it's all US.
We create our own reality.

But to get results one must believe something both consciously and subconsciously, so it's much more difficult to get results if one is afraid for a loved one, or in pain. I've gotten suddenly well from many things, but there are still things I see as "difficult" or "scary" so I've not had the detached, calm belief I've had when believing for someone else, for instance.

“Consciousness is fundamental and matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

I don't know why religious people aren't running off of cliffs in droves if the afterlife is so great and God forgives all. are lemmings believers?

@LeighShelton I once knew a lovely young woman who was a Catholic. Her friends found her note beneath her hanging body. It read, "I've killed myself so I can live forever with my dead dad and Jesus in heaven."

@NoMagicCookie So sad. On the other hand, maybe she's already incarnated into somebody who actually has fun for a change.

@NoMagicCookieI don't doubt it but I think there was more to that suicide

@NoMagicCookie But don't Catholics say suicide is a mortal sin?

The less you know (and the more you rely on faith), the more certain you are. The more you know (and the less you rely on faith), the more questions you have, not least of which because you are aware that there are things you do NOT know. While I sometimes, like you, envy the simplistic choices enforced by some faith or another, I don't think I'd want to sacrifice critical thinking and integrity, in spite of the uncertainty, for certainty and ignorance.

sure there have been times I have been down and wished I could believe there was something to rely on or take care of me besides me

I suppose Christians have less worry because they feel that after praying about something they can just leave it in god's hands. But that means they don't necessarily pay the right amount of attention to their situation. We all have to do whatever we can for our families and part of that may involve being worried and struggling to do the best we can for them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.