Agnostic.com

4 11

LINK Delaware on verge of passing "death with dignity" law thanks to humanist lawmaker -- Friendly Atheist

The bill is the result of a nearly ten-year push from retiring State Rep. Paul S. Baumbach

Aug 19, 2024

After a nearly ten-year fight, an openly humanist member of the Delaware State House is on the verge of having his monumental “death with dignity” bill become law. But there is one more obstacle standing in the way.

HB 140 would allow terminally ill people to end life on their own terms, subject to approval from medical professionals. It was sponsored by State Rep. Paul S. Baumbach of Newark, a Democrat who has served in office since 2012 and recently announced his retirement. Baumbach is also a self-described “Unitarian Universalist humanist,” according to his 2022 endorsement from the Center for Freethought Equality.

(Follow above article link to view original article with photos/PDFs.)

This kind of bill tends to divide people between those with compassion… and those who make excuses (usually religious ones) for why people should be forced to prolong their suffering. The Delaware bill would only apply to people who have less than six months to life, are capable of making an informed decision, and are acting voluntarily. Two doctors would also have to sign off on all of that.

Baumbach said the bill includes a number of safeguards, including ensuring patients are self-administering the medication, moral objection opt-outs for medical providers, waiting periods and mandatory mental health evaluations. 

Baumbach made it clear that no medical professional who opposes this procedure would have to participate in it, while putting those sensible guardrails in place so that patients wouldn’t be coerced into making a permanent decision against their will.

In order to go through with it, assuming all the other boxes are checked, the patient would to make two oral requests for the lethal medicine, then a written request, then get that written request signed by two witnesses, then wait at least 48 hours before the attending physician can prescribe the drugs. In other words, there are lots of hurdles along the way. This is meant to be a last resort for patients with no other options available to them, not a first resort for the desperate.

It’s the humane approach for people whose only path forward involves unimaginable suffering.

Right now, only 10 states have similar end-of-life laws, yet a recent Gallup poll found that a convincing majority of Americans support these interventions regardless of the terminology used to describe them:

Yet plenty of religious conservatives oppose it. They argue that taking your own life, no matter the reason, is an affront to God and that you must let nature run its course—even when you’re terminally ill, in constant pain, and have no hope for recovery. They think the God who inflicted that pain upon you should be allowed to torture you as long as He wants. The Diocese of Wilmington, on the side of prolonging the suffering, issued a statement saying “there is no justification to take an innocent life.”

That position could not be more cruel.

We’re not talking about people who are having fits of depression or who want to end their lives on a whim. We’re talking about patients whose lives aren’t going to get any better. There’s no cure for what ails them. Doctors can attest to that. Those patients should have the right to end life on their own terms, having said their goodbyes, without anyone getting punished for it.

Still, the bill’s path to becoming a law was never going to be a simple one. Baumbach had been proposing this legislation since 2015 but it never even came up for a floor vote until this year.

It passed in the House on a 21-16 vote back in April (the bare minimum for passage given four absences), but in June, the bill hit a logjam in the Senate. Every Republican and three Democrats voted against it, resulting in a 9-9 tie. Even one of the Democrats who co-sponsored the bill “tearfully declined” to vote on it. But because of a strategic move, the bill was allowed to be reconsidered the following week… and that’s when it finally passed on an 11-10 vote. (The no votes came from every Republican and four Democrats, but there were enough Democrats to pass it.)

The bill now awaits the signature of Democratic Gov. John Carney. But even that presents one more hurdle because no one seems to know what he’ll do.

Compassion & Choices, a group that’s been advocating for this legislation, is urging Carney to sign the bill immediately.

“I urge Gov. Carney to honor the courageous advocacy of Ron Silverio, Heather Block, and the existing pleas of terminally ill constituents like Judy Govatos and Diane Kraus who simply desire this time-tested option so that they can die peacefully on their own terms,” said Kim Callinan, president and CEO of Compassion & Choices Action Network, which led the campaign to pass the bill. “Even if this is not an end-of-life care option that Gov. Carney would choose for himself, the data shows that as drafted, this bill harms nobody; I hope he will respect the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Delaware voters and physicians who support this legislation and allow the Delaware End of Life Option Act to become law.”

So why hasn’t the bill been signed given that it passed the previous legislative hurdle in late June?

Technically speaking, Carney has 10 days to sign or veto the bill once it arrives at his desk. If he does nothing, it becomes law automatically. If Carney vetoes it, though, the Democrats do not appear to have the numbers to override his wishes.

Reports from early July suggested it was unclear if the legislation had officially come across his desk. Was this some weird technical glitch or was someone just delaying a decision?

Baumbach’s office told me last week that the bill is currently sitting in the office of the chief clerk of the State House and that the governor’s office “has not yet requested it.” The ten-day clock only begins after that request comes in.

What if he never requests it, though? Delaware House rules say that all passed legislation must go to the governor 14 days before the November election.

All of that’s to say: The governor’s going to have to make a decision eventually. It’s up to him whether to do it now… or wait it out another three months. Given that Carney is term-limited and not up for re-election—he’s now running for mayor of Wilmington—there’s no good political reason for him to avoid doing the right thing here. It’s not like signing the bill would seriously hurt his mayoral election chances.

Let’s hope he signs it. If and when that happens, it’ll be the result of a years-long campaign by a secular politician who had one final chance to pass this legislation before leaving office. Baumbach did as much as he could do. Because of his fight, people who are struggling to survive against their will may finally be able to find peace on their own terms.

snytiger6 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This has been a loooong road and every state seems to have to reinvent the wheel. We, on the whole west coast (and to include all of Canada) have this and my late partner opted for it. People seem to think their, fill in the blank-religion 'love' or whatever, supercede's the others right to not have to suffer. I wrote numerous letters on this subject (which got printed in all 3 of our local papers). Basically the religious say using this plan circumvents (a) god's plan and so is wrong. However, those same hypocrites will go to any extreme to circumvent if their god says its time to die. They all say they can't wait to meet Jesus, but not just yet.

There is no death with dignity. It's an oxy for the moron. On the other hand there are lots of people in nursing homes that are barely alive thanks to many good Christians. My stepdad was in one such place and my daughter used to work in them.

Death with all kinds of suffering is not dignified no matter how one spins this. Ones life is their own and so is one's death. Exceptions don't make the rule but, in the end it's up to the individual to decide. I also strongly support an euthanasia program like they have in Switzerland and the Netherlands.

It's cheaper to kill them.than let them.live off taxpayers money ~ hypocrite justin Trudeau

Yes, cheaper to kill them. At my age, lucky I'm a die hard.

@Castlepaloma covid19 was the ideal mechanism for senicide & eagerly grabbed by governments around the world. They rather be bullied into greasing the palm of US bullying corruption than look after their own citizens.

One would think so but not always. [npr.org]

Canada has gone too far with these assistant suicide laws and actions. Often enough Canadain doctors, mental and physical ask their patients. Who are in a painful life crisis . It's surprising how many homeless people have been offered suicide options.

"how many homeless people have been offered suicide options" - offered by who?

@FrayedBear

About 10.000 a year. For some of the simplest things.

@Castlepaloma Yes, but the Canadaian government is not just doing this. The people in Canada who want to end their own lives are asking for this. That is the difference. Maybe there should be some counseling first but it is a choice.

@DenoPenno All countries need a euthanasia program.

@Castlepaloma The problem being that Fox has been caught many time just making stuff up, usually to further a political agenda. Reports from Fox should not be taken any more seriously than the supermarket tabloids.

@DenoPenno no they ain't vet asked for a wheelchair ramp guess what they offered her?

@DenoPenno, @Communistbitch, @snytiger6, @pedigojr subsequent to sharing the FOX report provided by Castlepaloma with a N.American correspondent, she has kindly sent me this report:

[usnews.com]

Which seems to impugn the assertions made by FOX & Castlepaloma. For instance the article states that: "As the law currently stands, Canadians who wish to die with medical assistance must have a serious and incurable illness or disability, must be in an “advanced state of irreversible decline” and must have “enduring and intolerable physical or psychological suffering” that cannot be alleviated in ways the person finds acceptable. Though the vast majority of MAID patients choose lethal injection by a medical provider, self-administering the life-ending drugs is permitted everywhere in Canada except Quebec".
I do not see homelessness nor absence of wheelchair ramps included in the reasons allowing euthenasia. Furthermore given the extreme cold of Canada's winters hypothermia following exposure to the cold is an obvious .means of dying -
[northshorerescue.com]
However Australian expert in CPR Owena Cleary does not recommend using hypothermia but doesn't give clear reasons why in her article:
[cprfirstaid.com.au]

@FrayedBear you don't see because you are biased towards suicide due to your atheist beliefs.

[cbc.ca]

@Communistbitch I don't dispute what your para-olympian claims - just as there are many #stupid people on web social pages there are just as many proportionally employed beyond their capability in government offices. That they do not know what the existing legislation states equally does not surprise me. They are however wrong & ill trained to advise people.

So please explain in simple logical worlds what it is that I'm biased about regarding suicide - a right that IMO eveyone should be entitled to exercise without OCD like control from others.
It reminds me of the pathetic debate over masturbation. There are two schools - the pros & those against. Freedom of behaviour dictates that like homosexuality it is no one else's business other than the one exercising their choice. What is my bias?

@Communistbitch it has just occurred to me that you are in fact a christian believing that suicide will prevent you entering some mythical heaven to sit with a mythical god. Get real.

@FrayedBear you're one stupid motherfucker. Let's make this clear you stupid motherfucker.

I don't believe in fairy tales like your dumb ass does.

@FrayedBear I do not see homelessness nor absence of wheelchair ramps included in the reasons allowing euthenasia.

Repeat

I do not see homelessness nor absence of wheelchair ramps included in the reasons allowing euthenasia.

Dumb motherfucker

@Communistbitch So it seems if one has religious beliefs it's okay to let others suffer because of you personal beliefs!?

@Communistbitch So the usual Trump card - calling personal attacks and insults? Not okay on this site! It might be good to read the rules of decency and decorum or am I next!?

@pedigojr what the fuck are you talking about? Are you hallucinating ?

@pedigojr you might want to cut down on your mushrooms

@Communistbitch Seems one can get into a habit and not even recognize what they are doing. Might be good to go back and read some of your comments. I used to not block people but this issue has become so egregious I am now starting to do it.

@pedigojr we are talking about a vet getting offered suicide when she wanted a ramp because irs cheaper to kill her than buy a ramp. Your hallucinating brain somehow brought trump into the picture? Too much acid

@Communistbitch See, it's soooo obvious that the offense it cannot even be seen. This is where tRump and the MAGA maggots are and evidentially it's catching. So long.

@Communistbitch please show me my reply where I state that lack of wheelchair ramps & homelessness are legislated legimate reasons for euthenasia?
Your name calling is obviously you protecting your brain through projection on to me of your opinion of yourself. Please get psychiatric help to resolve this issue.

@FrayedBear I didnt say that either, too many shrooms.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:764418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.